PDA

View Full Version : What got you into diving?

Sarah
12-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Thought it might be interesting to hear how you all first got into diving.

lottie
12-04-2007, 12:20 AM
I had a bad experience - I think i mentioned it before in a previous post, but anyway. It was in cairns on the GBR, they hurried through how to use the equipment, didn't mention about equalising of ears and I can't remember much else about it (it was 4 years ago and my memory isn't what it used to be). sitting, well kneeling, on the back of the boat with most of my body under 1ft of water, i couldn't breathe properly and felt as though i was going to hyperventilate, so i didn't go.

Then in January, one of my friends came over (she's AOW) and ranted on that this dive shop was a really good setup and i should try diving again considering where I now live and shouldn't let one bad experience be the end of it...so a few months after that, i pluck up the courage and do the beginners course...as they say, the rest is history....

Okay, so that was really longwinded..but thats how i jumped in :D

mermaid
12-04-2007, 01:24 AM
My first experience was great! Luckily I had a terrific instructor who took time to cover everything, and with much patience! The weekend I got certified I also did my AOW and first night dive. I've been "hooked" ever since. That was about 4 years ago.
Mermaid

seasnake
12-04-2007, 04:23 PM
Wanted to do it ever since I was a kid, but finally work opportunities led me to actually take the course.

bottlefish
12-04-2007, 04:45 PM
My first attempt was with a BSAC University Club way back when, before they had any real structure. Around 12 weeks of lectures, covering everything from deco theory to the types of things (i.e. bodies) that the Police Divers pulled out of the Thames (complete with pictures), followed by lord knows how many pool sessions where I would be lucky if I could get one of the instructors to let me use the funny bubbly thing attached to the big metal thing (I was generally limited to using a small plastic thing that worked better when attached to the surface). Finally an open water dive, where me and my two buddies were left beneath a peir for 20 minutes or so, about 2 -3 metres deep, 6 inches visability, holding hands so as we didn't get seperated by the surge, until finally an instructor came down and tapped us on the head to signal the end of the dive.

Seven years later, I decided to try again whilst on a holiday in Thailand. Thankfully the instruction provided was a little more relevant and far more attentive. That was in 1998, I haven't looked back since.. although I'msure my bank manager would have much rather I hadn't got so hooked!

[To any BSAC divers out there, no offence meant, it's the diver/instructor that determines the quality of the course, not the training agency xx]

Chantelle
12-04-2007, 05:27 PM
I was in Venezuela about 19 years ago, and thought I would give it a try. I did a resort course there, which was actually quite an extensive course ~ 6 hours in the pool, then to the ocean. I did love it, but never really persued it, as I had absolutely no idea you could actually dive in Canada.:rolleyes:

Soo... a few years ago, I went to Cuba and did a resort course, which was nowhere near as good as the one in Venezuela, but still fun. The following year, upon booking another trip to Cuba, I decided to go get certified. I had a bad experience on my 8th logged dive, down in Cuba, and wasn't sure if I would continue or not.

That fall, I realized.. holy crap!! There is diving in Canada!! Well.. from a warm water wussie, to a cold water diving freak, I have transformed!

Bring on the cold water and the good vis.!! :D:D

Daddy-h2O
12-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Long before I heard of Jacque Cousteau and even before I know about Sea Hunt, I always wanted to be a fish. When I was small, about 4 or so, whenever I was asked what I wanted to be when I grow up, I would answer "A fish" A few years later my family was living in NYC and we went to the Museum of Natural History, and I got lost and seperated from the rest of them. (This was before it was a sin to misplace a child for longer than a minute) When they found me I was in the room with the whale suspended from the cieling. It took many years and a few false starts before I ever got the chance. A colege course that never was, a boss or two that were uncooperative, and a wife that was sure that if I got certified I would die. One night about 9 years ago, the LDS had an "I tried Scuba" night at the rec center. I vowed to do it, and she wanted to swim. We got a sitter left the kids home, went to the pool. She decided to try it too. She loved it, we were certified and now we have one child that dives and the other one is thinking about it...

h2odragon1
12-05-2007, 01:40 AM
Boracay Philippines 2002 my wife gave me a discover dive, I became hooked from the start. Finished my OW that week, when we returned, I looked for a dive shop for my wife and I to learn more. Got my AOW that fall 2002. My wife became certified 2005 Tok her lessons locally and endorsed for OW dive in Puerto Galera Philippines. we're dive buddies now.:) :)

dalehall
12-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Long story short: A Discover Scuba Excursion in St. Maarten during one of our cruises. I got back from the cruise, bought my O/W kit and scheduled my class. Have never looked back. (Thank You Dive Safaris) :D

littleleemur
12-07-2007, 05:01 PM
Been snorkeling and doing resort discover scubas for a while. Then went to Coz and while on the water someone tried to pressure me into turning the snorkeling excursion into a scuba excursion with mildewy equipment from a glass bottomed boat. Went home and signed up for OW and AOW immediately. No way I was going to dive with yucky & possibly unsafe equipment. Got rid of the unsafe buddy too.

rsh110
12-25-2007, 04:52 AM
A friend moved to big pine key florida a few years back and one day while visiting, I went snorkling. I saw some really cool fishes swimming around underneath me. That was it iwas hooked. I decided that I wanted to swim with the fishes and scuba was the best way to do it. After 3 years and many snorkling/kayaking adventures in the keys, I finally took the plunge this past fall when job and finances allowed me to get certified and buy my own equipment. Oh and did i mention my tub was too shallow!

rubber chicken
12-25-2007, 05:09 AM
A couple of years ago, I sold my house and everything I owned to fund a trip around the world. I realised that I didn't want to see the GBR through a glass-bottomed boat so I visited my LDS - which, up until then, I was totally unaware of- who talked me into an OW course. 5 minutes into my first pool dive amongst the cornplasters and detritus of the local municipal swimming pool and I was hooked.:) The rest is history... etc,etc.

Tigerbeach
12-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I watched Jacques, and Mike, and Flipper, of course.

I thought skin and scuba diving represented the coolest form of freedom possible.

DrBill
12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Of course watching the early Cousteau documentaries was an inspiration. Little did I know that years later I'd be doing some work for him, and his son Jean-Michel. I tried breathing off my first SCUBA tank in 1961 but lived in the Midwest so there wasn't a lot of diving to be done except during summer and most of what I did do was to vacuum the bottoms and deep diving wells in swimming pools. It wasn't until I moved here to Catalina in 1969 that I was able to merge my interests in marine ecology and diving