PDA

View Full Version : Do you use a snorkel?

lottie
12-02-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm just curious. When you go diving - do you have a snorkel stuck on the side of your mask or not....??

littleleemur
12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Depends on the dive. In a lake or quarry with relatively calm surface conditions, no. In the ocean, wreck diving & in areas of strong current, yes but not attached to the side of my mask. I have it in my BC pocket until I need to use it.

seasnake
12-03-2007, 03:52 PM
I recommend having a snorkel somewhere on your person, but I haven't had call for a snorkel while scubadiving since I can't remember when.

Wow, that is some serious filtering of the messages! lol ... it won't let me name the sport!

BamaCaveDiver
12-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I use snorkels all the time, they make great gag gifts:p

hbh2oguard
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Well I have to say I use my snorkel on the majority of my dives. I pretty much only shore dive so there is usually a nice surface swim and I don't like kicking on my back. I always get a sun burned in the shape of my mask whin I kick on my back and since sunscreen makes my mask leak I don't use it so I kick face down with a snorkel.

hbh2oguard
12-03-2007, 06:31 PM
One other thing. The normal area I dive use to require you to have a snorkel so I got use to having one when it was the law. Just recently the law was changed so you don't have to have one.

Chantelle
12-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Nope, no snorkel for me...

Mind you... they make pretty good straws for giant tropical drinks! :p :p

Carp_dm
12-03-2007, 09:40 PM
I don't use one when diving. For me, when diving less is better.

mermaid
12-04-2007, 01:28 AM
The last time I wore one on a D-D a sea lion pulled it off-along with my mask so I rarely wear it, just carry it along. I've seen snorkel bombs on the beach tho'

BamaCaveDiver
12-04-2007, 04:28 PM

I will have to give that a try some time :cool: They also lend themselves well to other indulgences :p

amtrosie
12-04-2007, 11:40 PM
A what?

Never heard of this piece of equipment, is it new??

I do have a large straw-like device that I use to drain overflow areas.

acelockco
12-05-2007, 04:08 AM
I use a snorkel when I am playing in the pool, and when snorkeling at the beach. But I definately don't want that thing in my way when diving. Now look at my photo and notice the snorkel, some places require you have one.

seasnake
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
I use a snorkel when I am playing in the pool, and when snorkeling at the beach. But I definately don't want that thing in my way when diving. Now look at my photo and notice the snorkel, some places require you have one.

That's interesting. Where are you required to have one and what is their reasoning for it?

acelockco
12-05-2007, 04:32 PM
That's interesting. Where are you required to have one and what is their reasoning for it?

In Negril, and I don't know what the Jamaican's reasons for doing anything. They are a STRANGE bunch though. It is also their law that you must dive with a local DM if you are not a citizen.

They also required it for basic scuba class back in the day. I think my wife needed one for her basic scuba class as well.

scuba smurf
12-05-2007, 06:53 PM
nope no snorkel for me, unless I'm teaching then it's in a pocket

lottie
12-05-2007, 07:14 PM
It is also their law that you must dive with a local DM if you are not a citizen.

The same rules apply over here as well (although it pertains to a dive leader not just a DM - sorry, me just being pedantic, anyway, i digress!)..due to MAFF (Ministry of agriculture, forest and fisheries) regulations. (look here (http://www.slumaffe.org/Fisheries_Department/Fisheries_Regulations/fisheries_regulations.html)for more info)

I think it's more to do with protecting the aquatic life and environment etc, plus from a safety - and probably liability for the resort - perspective (you'd never have guessed i'm doing my rescue ;) ) it confirms that divers who go, do come back and help is available if they need it.

Just my 2psi's worth

dalehall
12-06-2007, 12:46 AM
Nope. No snorkel here either. I do own one and I have two reasons for keeping it. When I DM a class, we have to wear what the students wear, so we must have a snorkel. 2. I have been on charters that ask for you to have one on your person (not necessarily on your mask, but with you somehow) So, just in case I run across another one of those, I keep it in my bag. But, if I'm not made to wear it, it doesn't see the light of day.

hbh2oguard
12-06-2007, 04:01 AM

Also up untill March or so of this year Laguna Beach, CA required them. You also had to have a buddy and a BCD. It was also enforced, but now all those laws have been lifted.

fooddude
12-06-2007, 12:28 PM
I carry one with me, keep it on my mask despite never having used it except to play games. Never thought about not keeping it on me until this thread. I may keep it in my pocket from this point forward. Most of my buddies keep it on, as well as the local DM's. Maybe us North Atlantic divers do things differently.

Thanks for the various viewpoints.

FD

acelockco
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
This one time at scuba camp, I stuck a snorkel up my....

seasnake
12-06-2007, 04:28 PM
It is the case for me teaching too, as the standards state the students must wear one and I must be similarly equipped to the students. I keep meaning to buy one of those fold up snorkels ... I think Sherwood makes them ... the Avid? Would stow nicely in a pocket and then if you wanted it you can pull it out, without having to have it dangling from your head all the time . . .

yohanson
12-06-2007, 11:56 PM
The same rules apply over here as well (although it pertains to a dive leader not just a DM - sorry, me just being pedantic, anyway, i digress!)..due to MAFF (Ministry of agriculture, forest and fisheries) regulations. (look here (http://www.slumaffe.org/Fisheries_Department/Fisheries_Regulations/fisheries_regulations.html)for more info)

I think it's more to do with protecting the aquatic life and environment etc, plus from a safety - and probably liability for the resort - perspective (you'd never have guessed i'm doing my rescue ;) ) it confirms that divers who go, do come back and help is available if they need it.

Just my 2psi's worth

I guarantee you that the rule is in place so that tourists are forced to pay a local charter/resort. It has nothing to do with protecting aquatic life/environment or safety. A person diving on their own would pose no liability for a resort. It's to protect the incomes of those mentioned above.

yohanson
12-07-2007, 12:01 AM

They use them for massive lines of blow in Cali, Columbia.

DrBill
12-29-2007, 10:13 PM
No, they get in my way when I am filming in tight corners and when I'm diving areas with sea lions, they often steal them from me.

Tigerbeach
12-30-2007, 12:55 AM
I always have one. I grew in Laguna Beach, and wouldn't want to waste tank air on the surface. I would snorkel out to the dive spot, switch to my reg, and pike dive down. I'd reverse that at the end of the dive.
The other thing about having a snorkel is you can rest on the surface face down, and not get tired.
BTW, I don't use a BC, and when I taught, never put air in it.

Prostar
01-02-2008, 03:50 AM
Always, rolled up and tucked in my pocket.

And, seasnake, mine is an Oceanic.

rubber chicken
01-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Like others, if DM'ing Open Water classes etc where standards dictate that I should have one then I wear one. On normal dives, I'm wearing twins and find that it gets in the way of the long hose so it gets to sit in the gear tub with the rest of the growing collection of assorted dive crap that appears to be spontaneously generating in the back of my van.:o