PDA

View Full Version : Thailand ?

CADiver
01-12-2007, 07:27 AM
I am not professional but I dove in Thailand many times over different years.
I think base from Phuket or Krabi, you can go North and South of either city, nothing will go wrong !

If you get a casual vacation to Thailand Phuket island, pick up a dive trip with whoever that will take you to pi pi island, Ko Bida, Bida North. YOu will have nice dive. You can also go south on another day to Racha Yai, Racha Noi or North to Similian island. These are fantastic places.

If you go to Krabi, you can dive from Krabi or go south to Ko Lanta. Lanta island is my favorite, it's basic, not bars, and just basic ! It's really South of Thailland, take a trip down to Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, they are the beautiful dive site not affected by tsunami.

Anyway,I think I type too much. I love Thailand, any question, let me know !

Sarah
01-14-2007, 06:04 AM
I hear Pi Pi Island's name has been officially changed to Phi Phi Island.

Which is a better place to dive for macro, Phi Phi, Similians, or somewhere else?

Quero
04-17-2007, 02:19 AM
Which is a better place to dive for macro, Phi Phi, Similians, or somewhere else?

You can find good macro subjects all over. We don't have muck diving, as such. Koh Doc Mai near Phuket is usually a good macro site with lots of nudis, seahorses, ghost pipfish, shrimp. Harlequin shrimp have been seen at Koh Haa, out from Phi Phi. There are peacock mantis shrimp all over, as well as porcelein crabs, coral crabs, etc. A great macro site from a liveaboard is Richelieu Rock--more mantis shrimp, harlequin shrimp.... Well, Richelieu really is *the* site in Thailand anyway.

UW-Opfer
08-03-2010, 09:38 AM
I have been to the mentioned sites, but have to add the Gulf of Thailand for completition. Nowhere else i have seen that many Whale Sharks as on Sail Rock (situated in between Koh Phangan and Koh Tao). Best time to see them is around March-April and Sebtember to November. Last winter-season we've had multiple sightings daily! Sometimes up to 5 specimen at a time.

Anyway, Thailand is top notch for a dive holiday! I won't get boring. Neither beneath nor above the surface.

The Publisher
08-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks for joining up, adding your first post and the great info!

ScubaSam
08-12-2010, 05:08 PM
One of my favorite spots in the Andaman Sea is Ko Haa between Phi Phi and Lanta. There is quite an abundance of cliff-face that makes for wonderful macro ops. It's the first place I ever saw a Ghost Pipefish. It was hanging out by a huge sea fan for almost every dive. Sad to say last time I was out to Ko Haa the Pipefish was gone, but at least the sea fan is still there!