PDA

View Full Version : I've just done my Rescue

lottie
11-23-2007, 11:25 PM
...and, oh boy, was that hard work!

After two days of going through the exercises, i'm completely exhausted, both mentally and physically and now realise that i need to improve my fitness levels.

There was me and another student (he's on a dm internship with the dive shop) doing the course, which was good, especially for doing the exercises.

Still gotta go back on tuesday to finish off two things that we didn't get a chance to complete today (first aid stuff and writing up an emergency assistance plan)
PLUS do the rescue scenario, which will also involve some of the other (if not all) the peeps at the dive shop..but i'm getting pretty freaked about doing that (fear of the unknown, peer pressure, worrying that i'll do something completely wrong, whatever).

Oh and add to the fact, I have motion sickness, still feel like as though i'm still floating on the water lol

But the course is definitely well worth it, if you haven't done it already. I highly recommend it - not just to improve on your skill set, but it makes you a better and more competent diver.

acelockco
11-24-2007, 12:41 AM
Congrats!

Wow, you are flying through those classes!

Prettty soon you can have your DM card.

Daddy-h2O
11-24-2007, 02:13 AM
[QUOTE=lottie;8647]...and, oh boy, was that hard work!

..but i'm getting pretty freaked about doing that (fear of the unknown, peer pressure, worrying that i'll do something completely wrong, whatever).

Oh and add to the fact, I have motion sickness, still feel like as though i'm still floating on the water lol

But the course is definitely well worth it, if you haven't done it already. I QUOTE]

1. Stop sweating it. Relax and deal with " a first come first served" attitude. Peer pressure is a non issue- everyone there is there for the same reason. A mistake you (or anyone for that matter) make in training, could be the life lesson learned by yourself and others that saves a life. ( I learn more from my mistakes )

2. Motion sickness,...:( I got nothing...:(

You will do fine, and if it helps you can rescue me any time ;)

acelockco
11-24-2007, 04:02 AM
My wife has issues with seasickness while on the boat, and she also suffers from sealegs (the feeling of motion after you are back on land). It is really bad for her at times, but she is a trooper as she always still made the dive. She also knows that getting in the water is instant relief from the feeling, or so I have been told.

I on the otherhand don't have any problem with feeling seasick. I do get sealegs though, but I kind of like it. It feels kind of trippy to me...like you had a few drinks on an empty stomach.

Sorry to veer from the subject Lottie, I just started thinking and well you know.

rubber chicken
11-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Well done Lottie!
Don't sweat the scenario. Just like in real life, you can only do as well as you can! If you screw up - which I sincerely doubt that you will- then take it onboard as a lesson and in years to come, when you are teaching rescue skills to other divers, you will have some stories available to calm their nerves.:)
I'm sure that everyone on here is quietly cheering you on and wish you the best. So go on! give it your best shot and ,remember, ENJOY it.

lottie
11-24-2007, 10:28 AM
1. Stop sweating it. Relax and deal with " a first come first served" attitude. Peer pressure is a non issue- everyone there is there for the same reason. A mistake you (or anyone for that matter) make in training, could be the life lesson learned by yourself and others that saves a life. ( I learn more from my mistakes )

Thanks for that - i know i need to relax and just get on and deal with it. But the difference between a training exercise and a real-life scenario is that you have time to prepare for a training exercise and you know it's going to happen. Like you said you learn from your mistakes - which is better in training than for real....

I think i'm more scared about this than i was when i did all my PGD exams!!! :o

I'll let you know what happens on tuesday...

amtrosie
11-24-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for that - i know i need to relax and just get on and deal with it. But the difference between a training exercise and a real-life scenario is that you have time to prepare for a training exercise and you know it's going to happen. Like you said you learn from your mistakes - which is better in training than for real....

I think i'm more scared about this than i was when i did all my PGD exams!!! :o

There-in lies the very crux of the entire issue. You train to learn and develop techniques and skills to deal with a scenario. You will not know it going in, but you will LEARN it coming out!! This is a class!!! This is where you start to develop the skills used in scuba diving. It just happens to be a life saving class, not an insignificant math or science class! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If you have not heard this before, let me say it now. These certifications are a license to learn You now have the basic knowledge to DEVELOP the skills to become a better diver!! None of us rolled off the boat the first time with all the knowledge and skill, we developed these things. AND WE ARE ALL, STILL LEARNING!!!!!

What am I trying to say? (very poorly!) RELAX!!!! You have been given the tools that must be practised, to be come proficient.

Daddy-h2O
11-24-2007, 07:48 PM
All the training in the world means squat, if the rescuer panics too. Even with training a real life mishap depends more on the rescuers willingness to do something rather than nothing.
I think (my opinion only) training is more about learning so that the rescuer (aka student) doesn't panic. If you are armed with the knowledge and know how to respond, you are less likely to panic yourself. Training is just that. Real life and death issues need to be dealt with. The good news is that you are not living in a TV hospital drama where every day you are going to be bombarded by doom and gloom every minute.

After you complete your training you will be armed with the knowledge of how to react IF life tosses a curve your way. I completed SSI's stress and rescue course several years ago. I approached eveything a little diffrent and give a little fore thought into things, I look at other divers and learn from the ones that have something to offer, and keep a watchful eye on the ones I may question. The good news is that I can honestly say that to date, I have not had to "rescue" anyone, but I was able to help and support other divers when they were overwelmed with it all (and needed to abort the dive) or just needed a friendly underwater adjustment (loose tanks mostly), and assist when necessary.

If you have the opportunity afth the course volunteer as the next's course victim. It will give you a diffrent perspective, and give yourself the chance to refresh what you have learned.

I am fortunate in that I have never been in a sitituation I haven't gotten myself out of. And man there are a few stories there.

I seem to have rambled a bit, but I really am supporting you and your effort to complete the course and continue with you diving goals. IOt may be unwanted advise and I apologize for that.

Best of luck!!!

lottie
11-24-2007, 09:10 PM
This is a class!!! This is where you start to develop the skills used in scuba diving....These certifications are a license to learn You now have the basic knowledge to DEVELOP the skills .

Thanks for that Amtrosie - it's a good point to note and i know i'm worrying needlessly.

Based on what you said - one thing i remember the instructor saying when I was towing in the other student, while practicing the rescue breaths and trying to take off the gear (now that was hard work!!!) - where you count for 5, the instructor said that at one point, I only counted for 3....it doesn't matter. like you said I'm still learning the skills and remembering what was said on the EFR course, you are still helping that person.

But the instructor came across as being a patronizing putz anyway (his one guy I haven't dived with before) on more than one occasion during the course.

Thanks again for the advice (and to DaddyH2O as well)

Tigerbeach
11-25-2007, 05:15 AM
But the instructor came across as being a patronizing putz anyway (his one guy I haven't dived with before) on more than one occasion during the course.

Nice job, Lottie! Keep training.

You also get extra points for alliteration; "patronizing putz", indeed!

bottlefish
11-25-2007, 10:21 AM
The rescue scenario is just that, a scenario. It's purpose is to get you thinking on your feet, working under stress, applying the skills you've learnt and then evaluating what you felt went well, what worked and what didn't.

It's not a pass or fail test, it's designed to give you an opportunity to run throw a complete rescue in a controlled and safe environment.

Definitely relax, and also go into it with an open mind, it's another valuable opportunity for you to learn. Most of all, enjoy it :-)

Looking forward to hearing how it went...

Daddy-h2O
11-25-2007, 02:14 PM
I want to add,

When I do play "Victim" for the SSI Stress & Rescue course, I have been told to be a little difficult.

I have tossed things, mucked up the bottom, spit out my regs, spit out thier regs, opened my dump valve on my BCD, Drysuit. yelled, screamed , generally flail about. I tend to gauge my response by the student.

The last class was a bunch of fireman. While I appreciate what they do, a few of them were a little to much of Ego Junkies for me. This was the most fun I had in a long time.

One of the guys in the course, is a club member, and I have known him for a while. Afterwards I was talking to him.
I said "In all the time we have known each other this is the first time we have done a dive together"

He responded "Yeah, and I had to keep rescueing you!"

The instructor added, "You didn't need to rescue him to pass the course"

Got to love a sense of humor.

Lottie, you will be fine!

Doogs
11-26-2007, 10:29 PM
well done Lotti

I did my course a few months ago and it was great, it just gives you that bit a extra confidence.

hbh2oguard
11-27-2007, 12:03 AM
while practicing the rescue breaths and trying to take off the gear (now that was hard work!!!) - where you count for 5, the instructor said that at one point, I only counted for 3....it doesn't matter.

Like you said it doesn't matter but depending on whose standards you use (AHA vs ARC) rescue breaths are given every 3 to 5 sec. So counting to 3 is correct:)

lottie
11-27-2007, 01:11 AM
thanks for all that guys

daddyh2o - you didn't ramble on too much, and it made perfect sense.

I met up with the other student (he's an intern at the resort) on sunday to go through the rescue scenarios as everything seemed jumbled up in my mind after leaving there on friday..he also said just relax as well....but then he's also done coastguard training as well.

Oh well...I'll let you all know how it went in 19 hours time!!

Daddy-h2O
11-27-2007, 01:51 AM
[QUOTE=lottie;8694]thanks for all that guys

daddyh2o - you didn't ramble on too much, and it made perfect sense.
QUOTE]

Are you Narc'd?

lottie
11-27-2007, 02:57 PM
We had alot of rain last night and this morning. Thankfully now it's stopped, but the water is now a brown muddy colour and viz went down to about 2 foot (it's normally about 70+), so the rest of the training has been postponed until next Thursday (they've got a big dive group coming in tomorrow)....so even longer to wait..
but, in the interim, I've been given homework...to do an emergency plan

you gotta love that rescue course ;)

Daddy-h2O
11-28-2007, 12:58 AM
Can I help?

Here is my senario (sp) Joe diver at 90' is unconscience, he is pinned to the roof of the bridge on a wreck, his wieght belt slipped off, and struck his head as he became suddenly positive bouyant and is now knocked out , but breathing slowly, he has a full face mask. You check his gauges and see that he has 400 psi left, and is still within the no-decompression limits, and his K-valve is leaking by, also damaged by striking the roof.

1. How would you help this diver?

2. What would be the best way to get his new dive computer to me?

lottie
11-28-2007, 04:57 PM
DaddyH2o - I don't know whether you're being serious or not..but here's my take on that scenario...

I don't know about wrecks..as the one thats done here isnt' really penetrable (as such - not closed...)...so bear with me on this

If his weight belt has slipped off...you'd be wasting time trying to get it and put it back on him..so you wouldn't do that

Assess the scene - which would be the quickest way out (up!?) if it's easy to grab hold of his BC shoulder straps/If he's still got the reg in his mouth, keep that in place to pull him away from the wreck and start the ascent.
Purge his BC and mine to stop a possible runaway ascent and flare out my legs to increase drag on the way up.
Keep hold of his reg to keep that in place and to keep his trachea open while ascending.

Once at the surface - this all depends on whether its near a shore or the dive was from a boat. call ems, give oxygen using a rebreather mask with the oxygen set to continuous flow.

btw..it's scenario and conscious (conscience is when you refer to a guilty conscience)

Daddy-h2O
11-28-2007, 06:40 PM
btw..it's scenario and conscious (conscience is when you refer to a guilty conscience)

and your point?

You failed to send me my (his) new computer....

lottie
11-28-2007, 07:17 PM
lol@DaddyH2O - i think it fell off when he banged his head :D:D:D:D:D:D

dalehall
11-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Again.. I leave for a few weeks, Lottie does something cool and I'm late on the congrats.. Congrats!!! :D

lottie
11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Dale - it's not congrats as yet as I haven't finished the course (been rearranged for the 6th Dec)....so in actual fact, you are early ;)

dalehall
12-02-2007, 12:44 AM
LOL.. Well, let me be the first to congratulate you on your future passing of the Rescue course. :D Since you made it through the test and confined portion, you've got it licked. The scenarios are just plain fun!!! It'll kick your butt during the day, but it's a total blast!!! Enjoy that day!!!

h2odragon1
12-02-2007, 10:18 PM
Lottie;
Your quest to get your rescue diver cert. sounds much like my wifes quest for her OW cert. I signed her up late 2002, for private lessons. At first she was a little reluctant to go, but did start her lessons in 2003. her instructor was pregnant, so my wife didn't want to "exhaust" he so my wife took off for a while. In 2004 we had a fire, and spent some time in the hospital, so that year was also a bust. Finnally in 2005 she took her classroom, and pool lessons. We then took an endorsement to the Philippines were she finnally finished. The warm, tropical, multicolored attractions finnally got her hooked. We stared diving locally in one quarry in 2006, she didn't like that quarry, poor vis. long drive. In 2007 we tried another quarry and she loved it. We dove one weekend a month for three months.
SHE LOVES IT!!
Good luck to your quest!

lottie
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
h2odragon - if we could have finished the course the other week. I would have been happier..it was all down to the instructor's choice..plus the weather plus previous commitments at the dive centre..so...4 days to D-Day :D

lottie
12-02-2007, 10:56 PM
h2odragon - if we could have finished the course the other week. I would have been happier..it was all down to the instructor's choice..plus the weather plus previous commitments at the dive centre..so...3 days to D-Day :D

lottie
12-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Gaaahhhh!!!! The rest of the course has been postponed until friday - will this be third time lucky????

I just wanna get this over and done with no...this waiting is doing me 'ead in!

Daddy-h2O
12-05-2007, 10:46 PM
Perhaps the delay is part of the course?

lottie
12-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Ya think????
jeez..i just wanna get this over and done with..my nerves are on edge....i dont wanna delay the process even longer..
..well at least it gives me longer to sort out and refine my EAP and re-read the manual.....
:D :)

lottie
12-08-2007, 08:02 AM
Well, I finally got there and finished the course - and got certified (insane..someone said!). It wasn`t as bad as I thought it would be...I just got nervous for nothing. We did the four rescue scenarios and had a DM-C as a dummy....oh and the instructor didn't even take the EAP!

I`ve written a bit up on my blog (see link below) if you want to see...as I`m not repeating myself on here.

It was such an exhausting day - we were in the water from 9.30am until 3.30pm (and an hour for lunch)...i was soo tired I went to sleep at 7PM!!!

it was definitely a worthwhile course, it`ll definitely make me think more when I next go diving (monday, in fact) about the other divers in the group.

littleleemur
12-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Congrats! Hope you had a good time!

Daddy-h2O
12-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Didn't we tell you so? Congrats, and it is not just looking at the other diver, you now have the skill to judge yourself as well...

h2odragon1
12-08-2007, 03:44 PM
Congratulations:) :) :) :)

lottie
12-08-2007, 03:45 PM
yes, that is true also.....the course makes you a better diver and more aware of whats going on around you as well....

There was this other diver doing a shore dive with a DM and the DM was talking to another staff member and not lookng at the diver. I saw that the diver was just starting to panic just a few seconds before the DM shouted at him to 'inflate your BC', which thankfully he did..and I did ask him if he was okay. But if i hadn't have started this course, i probably wouldn't have looked at this diver in the same way as i did yesterday and just dismissed it.

ok i'm gabbling again ;)

yohanson
12-08-2007, 07:28 PM
Congrats again!!!

dalehall
12-11-2007, 12:49 AM
Great Job Lottie!! Congrats on your new found confidence.