PDA

View Full Version : We're at El Galleon Resort To Review Them

The Publisher
11-19-2007, 01:24 AM
We're at El Galleon Resort in LaLaguna, Mindoro at the moment and having a blast.

Although it has been quite rainy this a.m. I ran across and shot some great HD video footage of a robust ghost pipefish at the wreck otf the Alma Jane in about 32 meters. There was a frogfish sitting on the mast yesterday but he wasn't around today.

The food and friends here are great! When we get back we'll be working on a full written and photographic review.

h2odragon1
11-19-2007, 02:52 PM
I hope the Deep Blue Sea Inn restraunt is still there,( Little LaLaguna) if it is, stop in for their Margharita Pizza

Babydamulag
11-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Tell the IDC Staff there (the Course Director) that his favorite student says HELLO!!! Just tell him that the MONEY TREE is growing. He will know exactly who it is!!! He is a good dude....for an Aussie.

The Publisher
11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Will do BDMG.

The robust ghost pipefish is still where we all saw it, so it is becoming an attraction. I saw a huge cuttlefish today, but he had no intention on letting me get close enough for some footage. That is probably how he got to be so big, lol.

acelockco
11-20-2007, 02:58 AM
Here is a trick I read about somewhere, maybe even here. I don't know how true it is, but it is worth a try.

Supposedly if you run your fingers through your hair from the back of your head (so your hand is not seen), the cuttlefish will get interested and react by not only sticking around, but flashing colors. I know it sounds odd, but I think the flowing hair in the water gets it's attention. Obviously you need to have somewhat longer hair for this to work, but mabe you can improvise with something if you have to. Maybe some streamer like from an old school bicycle handlebar.

Hope it helps, if so I expect to see some video. I also hope you are having a great time and it sounds like you are.

The Publisher
11-21-2007, 07:32 AM
Ace, I always have a blast here. Although the rain and visibility has not been accomodating, I just shot some awesome super macro HD video just an hour ago of two different types of tiny shrimp on a tube anemone.

h2odragon1
11-21-2007, 02:48 PM
don't forget, if you want to off-gas, you can go to sabang and book a trip to the inteior, to see a village that has not changed for a-hundred-years. the villagers live in the ancient ways. I think they are called the Magaya. there are agencies in Sabang that can help with this.

Babydamulag
02-12-2008, 07:09 AM
Where is the review for ASIA DIVERS??? I have been waiting to see what you think.......when?

The Publisher
02-18-2008, 11:14 PM
BD, I worked on it today, and we're working on the HD video I shot while there.

In the meantime, here are two video screen grabs taken from the HD video we are producing of the resort and the diving there.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2348/2275143365_54fbce38bf.jpg

The first image above appears to be a robust ghost pipefish but is actually a slender pipefish. Their tails are different. If you look closely, you can see the pipefish has a little Periclimenes shrimp in its mouth that he just grabbed. In the video you can see the poor little critter struggling to get out. This photo was taken at the deeper of the 3 wreck site called Sabang Wrecks. This pipefish hung out near the rudder for several days and could always be found.

The 2nd photo below is again an HD video screen grab of a different Periclimenes shrimp on a large colorful anemone. The video footage is stunning.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2179/2275142811_5fb3e30995.jpg

Babydamulag
02-20-2008, 08:41 AM
Dave,
Awesome shots!!! Can't wait to see the full monty!

Bill22
02-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Where is the review for ASIA DIVERS??? I have been waiting to see what you think.......when?

I dived with Asia Divers last year. Nice operation. I hadn't been diving in a while. Did a Scuba Review with them and then a few fun dives. I had a friend with me who was a non-diver, so I ended up not diving as much as I might have. They do five scheduled boat dives a day and have their own pier. No wading out to the boat :) By the time I left I had regained my enthusiasim for diving :)

The Publisher
04-06-2008, 06:39 AM
Here's the video as part of the pending review:

http://vimeo.com/851172

acelockco
04-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Wow, that video was insane. Now that is what I am talking about! That is some of the best footage I have ever seen, National Geographic and IMAX style. Great job!!

The Publisher
04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks Ace. We're actually trying out a new forum modification, and it isn't working right yet. The video is compressed into a fairly small file, 150 megs, so the overall size will not support such a large screen as what is showing up, so the screen needs to be smaller so it looks sharper.

Anyway, that was the latest video I shot.....I will be shooting a new one in Anilao in 2 week. The next one will be better, as I am sitting here looking at a $500 achromatic diopter screw on magnification lens that eliminates spherical aberrations so the macro should be better.

Papa Bear
04-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Anyway, that was the latest video I shot.....I will be shooting a new one in Anilao in 2 week. The next one will be better, as I am sitting here looking at a $500 achromatic diopter screw on magnification lens that eliminates spherical aberrations so the macro should be better.

Okay more info on the diopter, please!

Papa Bear
04-06-2008, 07:39 PM
Also will this site be Vimeo friendly?

The Publisher
04-06-2008, 08:15 PM
We''re working on making it Vimeo friendly..so far it is not going well, but we won't be defeated.