PDA

View Full Version : Rolex Diving Scholarships 2008

divedivajade
11-14-2007, 08:59 PM
The Our World Underwater Scholarships are available to take up from April 2008. The scholarships are sponsored by Rolex and provide funding for one year designed to expose a qualified young person to a wide range of experiences in various marine-related fields. These scholarships have been running for over 35 years in the States, seven years in Europe and now this is the second year in the Australasian Region (including Australia, New Zealand and neighbouring South Pacific Islands).

Each Rolex Scholarship provides a hands-on introduction to underwater and other aquatic-related endeavours for a young person considering a career in an underwater-related discipline. One scholar is selected from each of the three regions and each scholar spends approximately one year working side by side with current leaders in underwater fields. Each scholar travels primarily within his or her region, but may have opportunities throughout the underwater world.

These experiences provide the scholars with a broad overview of careers in the underwater world. Scholars may spend varying lengths of time investigating:

Science
Publishing
Medicine
Manufacturing
Photography
Education
Management
Expeditions
Government
Tourism
Commercial and Research Diving
Film Industry
Archaeology
Other Underwater related Disciplines
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements

Minimum age of 21 and maximum age of 26 at the time of the application deadline (December 31)
Valid citizenship for the relevant Rolex Scholarship (North America, Europe, and Australasia)
Applicant has not yet earned a graduate degree by April 1st of the scholarship year and has not yet chosen a clearly defined career path
High academic standing
Fluency in English
Certification as a Rescue Diver with a minimum of 25 dives logged in the past two years.
Evidence of adequate health insurance for duration of scholarship year
Submission of a completed diving medical examination form, which is found in the application
Please check out the webpage www.owuscholarship.org (http://www.owuscholarship.org) for more information on the scholarship, current scholars and sponsors and the application form. The closing date is 31st December 2007 for applications.

Please pass this email on to potential scholars of the future or others that may have contact with them. I held the scholarship in Europe is 2003 and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and has certainly influenced my career path into Marine Biology. Within the pool of past scholars they have taken up almost any career imaginable in relation to the underwater world.

Feel free to email me for more specific information!