PDA

View Full Version : Mattel/Matchbox Mega Rig Shark Ship

bottlefish
11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Mattel/Matchbox have recently released a new product, the Mega Rig Shark Ship.

The product comprises of a shark, a diver with diving cage and parts to assemble a variety of ships complete with large harpoon to kill the shark. It promotes the idea that sharks are man eating menaces, that it is OK to hunt and kill sharks. It teaches children that destroying life is fun.

I have set up a petition at the following web address, asking Mattel to remove this product from their range.

http://www.gopetition.com/online/15258

If this makes your blood boil as much as mine, then please, go and sign.

For all you facebook junkies, there's also a cause been set up at the following:

http://apps.facebook.com/causes/view_cause/36709

I'll be posting updates on correspondence with Mattel to Facebbok as and when it happens.

Cheers

Stuart

acelockco
11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Not that I agree with hurting any animal, especially a shark I have to say I really like the toy. I am ordering one for my nephew's holiday gift right away before you get things going too crazy.

I mean, you don't have to shoot the shark, you can shoot the diver with the harpoon gun as well!

Maybe you should think of it as promoting diving. It's just a toy man....relax.

lottie
11-14-2007, 09:41 PM
I read about this on another forum and it seems as if its a shark in a whale's clothing...that the manufacturer didn't want loads of complaints for using a whale, so used a shark instead.

bottlefish
11-14-2007, 11:17 PM
It's just a toy man....relax.

That's what was said about Jaws, look how much damage that did to shark awareness and conservation.

Yep, they are only kids, and it's only play. But all games played, regardless of the animal that is playing, teaches some sort of lesson. Shouldn't we be careful what that lesson is?

Lottie's point is a valid one, and one worth thinking about. Would you be equally as blase if the shark was replaced by a whale? Or perhaps a safari jeep hunting tigers, lions or elephants?

Most people would see these products as unacceptable, Mattel wouldn't even bother trying. But the shark one gets through. Isn't that something worth thinking about and questioning?

acelockco
11-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Isn't that something worth thinking about and questioning?

I don't know if it is worth questioning or not. To be honest, I liked Jaws as well.

Humm...I also liked Rambo, but you don't see me shootin' no peeps with an exploding arrow either. And even though exploding arrows sound cool, it is similar to what you are saying.

Maybe we can look at it in the way it is, a toy, which is make believe. Just like with army men you make believe they kill each other, in this you make believe you kill a shark.

I really do like the toy, because there are not many main stream scuba diver toys. I wish I had it when I was a kid, I loved boats, and divers. I kind of remember a toy when I was a kid that was similar, it was an orange boat with a shark cage and some other stuff. Does anyone remember this toy,? The keel of the boat had a single wheel on it so it would kind of roll.

Sarah
11-15-2007, 12:10 AM
Here is what he is talking about:

http://TRUS.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pTRU1-3771670dt.jpg

acelockco
11-15-2007, 01:34 AM
but not the one I am talking about.

hbh2oguard
11-15-2007, 03:47 AM
Don't worry it's probably painted in Mexico with lead based paint and will be recalled in a few weeks:)

bottlefish
11-15-2007, 02:30 PM
Humm...I also liked Rambo, but you don't see me shootin' no peeps with an exploding arrow either. And even though exploding arrows sound cool, it is similar to what you are saying.

Maybe we can look at it in the way it is, a toy, which is make believe. Just like with army men you make believe they kill each other, in this you make believe you kill a shark.

You were hopefully over 18 when you watched Rambo, hopefully by that stage you had some well founded morals in place. I doubt you'd want your 4 year old to watch it though, eh!

As for make believe in Kids? Doesn't it make them believe something? You use toy soldiers as an example, but soldiers do kill each other in the real world too. Kids learn that when they play war games. Kids playing with this toy will learn that sharks grow to huge sizes, eat divers whole and need to be killed. Not an ounce of fact there, and also encouraging them to look badly on sharks, in a time that shark conservation is becoming increasingly important.

Anyway, enough of my ramblings, you certainly aren't the first person who's taken the "It's just a toy stance", neither will you be the last. I would have been naive not to have expected such comments, and in all honesty, I do understand you're point, even if I don't agree with it.

acelockco
11-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Cool,

I understand your point as well. It would be better if the boat was a "save the shark" boat and you could harpoon the shark fishermen, but it is not going to happen unfortunately.

The Publisher
11-15-2007, 07:47 PM
Mattel has a fiscal responsibility to its shareholders, mankind has a social responsibility to the planet and all its inhabitants.

All of us, Mattel included, can find ways where the two interests converge. DisneyWorld did it by making their Wild Animal Park Safari theme based upon not killing the wild beast, but catching the poachers and protecting the wild animal.

I don't know if it would be viable from a marketing standpoint, but can you imagine Mattel making a theme toy boat that catches rogue whale poachers and their boats?

I think more or less we're all on the same page here.

bottlefish
11-15-2007, 09:31 PM
It's a point I've made to Mattel already. I've had a decent and open two way converation with someone in the UK head office.

Obviously to remove the product straight would be corporate madness. So, I've suggested they remodel it, take off the harpoon and replace with a crane/jib, replace the shark with a few dolphins and add a diving bell as well. Hey presto, a Mega Rig Dive Exploration Rig, at minimal development cost, and promoting environment, nature, awareness etc.

I doubt they'll take head, however nothing lost by trying... but if they did take notice, I for one would sing their praises to all.

acelockco
11-15-2007, 10:42 PM
If they actually make changes, not only would I praise them, but I would praise you as well for getting something done. Unfortunately I think the only way they will make a change is if they don't sell enough units by the end of the 1st quarter of 2008. Then you will have your explorer rig for next year.

While there are issues, I still like the toy and any diver style toy. I wish I had one when I was a little kid.

bottlefish
11-15-2007, 10:51 PM
When I was a kid I had an Action Man toy (not sure if you'd know it in the US, an army based male doll with different clothes/combat gear/guns and a variety of vehicles). My favourite garb for him was his wet suit and scuba tanks. I also had a plastic Blue Shark toy who was best buddies with Action Man.... it used to drive my mother nuts, she could never get me out of the bath!!

seasnake
11-16-2007, 06:34 PM
I just saw the ad on TV for this toy as I was reading this thread!!

Wow, in todays society it is surprising to see an ad like that!

acelockco
11-16-2007, 09:10 PM
I did not see the ad, what is going on in the ad?

If anyone has a link or anything, please post it.

seasnake
11-17-2007, 01:50 AM
there is one clip that shows firing the grappling hook into the mouth of the attacking great white! Not very PC!

acelockco
11-17-2007, 04:09 AM
REALLY!?!

I am totally shocked actually. I thought that was just implied, but they actually show you.

Kind of like SeaDoo's, on the commercial they show them jumping waves, but they tell you in the owners manual not to jump waves. It just makes no sense to me.

bottlefish
11-17-2007, 08:25 AM
there is one clip that shows firing the grappling hook into the mouth of the attacking great white! Not very PC!

I'm not sure if this is the same, but check out the promo video on the amazon web site

Amazon.com: Mattel Matchbox Mega Rig Shark Adventure: Toys & Games (http://www.amazon.com/Mattel-Matchbox-Mega-Shark-Adventure/dp/B000OC2W50/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1195291486&sr=8-1)

seasnake
11-17-2007, 04:54 PM
That's the one! Those big mean sharks ... :mad: