PDA

View Full Version : Just got a Mares Nemo sports dive computer

lottie
11-13-2007, 02:44 PM
and i can't fathom out how to work the thing (see my blog for more details). I've finally managed to set the time (took me about 6 minutes to read the manual and figure out which keys to press).

Anyone else got one of these comps and willing to give some advice to a complete novice (well, dive comp novice...been working in IT for the past 11 years and that experience is useless in trying to work this thing out)

Thanks

h2odragon1
11-13-2007, 03:14 PM
Congratulations on your new Mares Nemo.
Reading directions is very helpful. When i got my Uwatec, I wanted to go diving first, but I didn't. Directions can be so boring, but are neccessary. When your done, ENJOY!:D

acelockco
11-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Congrats on the sweet new dive computer. Only like 4 scuba bucks or so??

I have to agree, you should read the manual a few times and you should start to understand what is going on. Then when you are ready to actually use the computer, plan your dive according to the tables and follow that plan while you look at your computer to try to understand how it is working. That way you are safe and within your no-deco limits until you know that computer.

From what I have read, it is a very good dive computer and lots of folks rave about them.

I am thinking about a new computer as well.

lottie
11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys,
I had a brief look over the instructions, moreso on the dive mode, but couldn't work it out. I'll have a read through it again (or a good few times) today to find out how it all works as I want to try it out tomorrow afternoon.

BamaCaveDiver
11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
If you bought it locally, ask the staff at your LDS (a good LDS should know how to set up and use what they sell/service.) As Ace mentioned, stay current with your tables and dive planning strategies; the comp is just a tool, not a shortcut.

lottie
11-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Bama, thanks for that info, I'll bear that in mind when I eventually get round to figuring it out and using it. Maybe the guys at the LDS will know how to work it - but that might take the fun out of trying to figure it out myself

- I didn't buy it locally (brought over the internet, shipped from Miami - cost me a fortune in duty from customs and also got his cell number ;))

hbh2oguard
11-14-2007, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=lottie;8464 - I didn't buy it locally (brought over the internet, shipped from Miami - cost me a fortune in duty from customs and also got his cell number ;))[/QUOTE]

I love it when the internet brings me things:) :) :)

lottie
11-14-2007, 07:52 PM
I love getting stuff - especially when its brought with scuba bucks..

well - i've just got back from doing a dive with the computer - it is just soooo cool. I don't know about how other dive computers work, but it automatically started logging the dive as soon as I got under the water, no fiddling around with pressing buttons or anything. When I went up to15ft to do the safety stop, it had already started logging the fact that i was doing the safety stop and even showed a countdown for 3 minutes, so i knew when to go up and break the surface...I'm now very happy with my new toy and can't wait to use it again :D :D :D:D

amtrosie
11-14-2007, 09:05 PM
...I'm now very happy with my new toy and can't wait to use it again :D :D :D:D

That is your first real "toy", now just think of all the other "toys" that are to come. :D :D :D The more you dive, the more toys you must accumulate!! :D :rolleyes:

acelockco
11-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Glad you love it Lottie. Now that you have used it, you see it is fairly easy to use without much thought. And of course that was the point, they want it to be easy to use.

Enjoy!!!

lottie
11-14-2007, 09:33 PM
The more you dive, the more toys you must accumulate!! :D :rolleyes:

very true..but i'll have to curb my spending now...need to save up some serious scubabucks to get the UW housing plus a strobe and a BC and reg. But they'll all have to wait until next year.

acelockco
11-14-2007, 11:23 PM
Little by little, you will get it all eventually, but then you will be ready for some new stuff....LOL, it never ends.

Anyway, what you need to do is have someone bring you gear when they come in on vacation. For example, if I ever head to St. Lucia, I will let you know. I can pick up whatever gear you want and just bring it with me. Customs will think it is my personal gear for use on the trip, but instead it will be your duty free gear!