PDA

View Full Version : Instr to Instr- PADI Rescue Courses

paul19may
11-11-2007, 12:00 PM
It has been my sad experience to realise that I do not have the monopoly on great ideas. With that, any instructors out there have any 'top tips' that they would like to impart re running their PADI RESCUE classes? (That is beyond the usual, make sure they all turn up on time, have a pen to do the paperwork etc.) I have a resue class coming up and am looking for ways of doing the class do beyond my usual routine- more for my sanity than anything else. TIA.

Sarah
11-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Hire some attractive girls from the local college to be the simulated rescue subjects, advertise it all, and your rescue class booking will be backlogged for the entire year with you now switching to full time rescue training.

acelockco
11-11-2007, 05:15 PM
iDive,

Sometimes I wonder if it is really you in that photo or is it some guy sitting behind that computer using a photo of someone else? Some of the things you say are not something I would expect to hear out of a "chicks" mouth.

lottie
11-11-2007, 06:07 PM
It has been my sad experience to realise that I do not have the monopoly on great ideas. With that, any instructors out there have any 'top tips' that they would like to impart re running their PADI RESCUE classes? (That is beyond the usual, make sure they all turn up on time, have a pen to do the paperwork etc.) I have a resue class coming up and am looking for ways of doing the class do beyond my usual routine- more for my sanity than anything else. TIA.

Paul,
I haven't done my Rescue course, so couldn't really comment as to how the instructor would run the course and/or change beyond the usual routine.

One suggestion would be to make it more fun - try not to make it sound too serious (yes, I know it is a serious subject). That way, it gives the group (and you as the instructor) more bonding during the course and lightens up the attitude.

Are you referring to the classroom work or the rescue scenarios?

amtrosie
11-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Make a competition out of some of the skills, the winner to get a PADI sticker, or some other such "rare" item. See if you can't make a game out of the various skills, or use a game to incorporate a skill or two. If pool sessions are to be a part of the class. Break the class up with some underwater games or competition.

Do not be afraid to incorporate more information and skill sets than what is the bare minimum. Let them get a good class with good information and extra skills that are important for a good price.

Better yet, charge more money and tell them, and give them more than they would from another Instructor!

hbh2oguard
11-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Better yet, charge more money and tell them, and give them more than they would from another Instructor!

Fees have nothing to do with quality. Sometimes classes that are free are the best because the instructor actually cares and does it because he or she loves it.

rubber chicken
11-14-2007, 04:52 AM
Offer the 'victims' small prizes if they can swipe the rescuers mask during " panicked diver on the surface".:)
Wait until everybody thinks they've finished and spring a snap scenario on them. " Well done everybody! Hold on! is that a diver in distress over there?"
( we used to get the DM to climb onto the boat, cross over to the other side and jump back in. Frequently, nobody noticed until the skipper said with a smug grin, " Are you SURE that everybody is back on board?")
A friend of mine used to take a small pony bottle with him to the bottom, lie face down and undo all the clips on his BCD. Rescuers turn up, inflate victims BC which promptly polarises to the roof. Victim grins at rescuers and begins breathing off the pony.

I always think that the rescue course is more about creating the mindset than getting the skills down pat.

bottlefish
11-16-2007, 09:35 AM
Definitely throw scenarios at them at random times during the course (once they've learnt how to deal with the skill, of course)

During panicked diver on the surface, have some fun with your DM as well. Get them to start panicking as hard as they can, then sit back and watch, don't go in to rescue/manage. It's a good way to demo how quickly a panicked person will run out of steam and become easier to deal with.

During lost diver scenario, have your DM unplug their LPI inflator, simulating an out of air. The rescuer will have to manage the lift using their own inflate.

Chat to your local EMS and see if they would like to get involved, if so, how. I know in the UK the coastguard are often looking for willing members of the public to train on... imagine how quick a rep you'd get if the final scenario of your course involved real communications to a coastguard station, culminating in your lost now found diver being airlifted and medivacced out!

seasnake
11-16-2007, 05:25 PM
I like doing things in progressions ... break the rescue down into parts and learn those skills and then apply that to the whole scenario. I love the idea of getting local EMS involved! I tried very hard to do that with lifeguard training, but I could never get the EMS personnel to come around to the idea.

Quero
12-01-2007, 12:31 PM
iDive,

Sometimes I wonder if it is really you in that photo or is it some guy sitting behind that computer using a photo of someone else? Some of the things you say are not something I would expect to hear out of a "chicks" mouth.

I had a similar reaction. I'm amazed at these sexist comments at times, and especially dismayed that they come from a female.

My first thought when I read that suggestion was that if I were one of the (female) students, I'd immediately lose confidence in the professionalism of an instructor who pulled stunts like that, and I'd find a different instructor.

Quero
12-01-2007, 12:48 PM
During lost diver scenario, have your DM unplug their LPI inflator, simulating an out of air. The rescuer will have to manage the lift using their own inflate.

I like this one! Think I'll try it on my next rescue student!

BillGraham
01-15-2008, 12:17 PM
When I did rescue (a LONG time ago now), my instructor had his divemasters simulate various emergencies during the class, without warning. Even he was surprised by some of the stuff. I think we even had an actual emergency where one of the students got a leg cramp and started drifting away in the current, and by this time everyone in the class thought the instructor put him up to it.

nat
03-12-2008, 05:30 PM
OMG, starting my Rescue course on Friday...reading this it looks like I'm for a hard time. I'm the only student and my instructor has vowed to involve all of the guys at the dive centre during the open water sessions. She stated this whilst laughing wildly, glazed eyes and a look that a recognise as preceding being put through the mill...Gulp!! :eek:

Any sneeky tips on how to get my own back?!:p

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 05:49 PM
The usual way to get back is to volunteer as a "victim" for the next round of classes ;)

shinek
03-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Most of us can play the panicked diver on the surface to some degree, but it takes some real acting ability to play the histerical mother of the "missing diver". Get someone to do that and watch the chaos unfold, talk about a crowd control problem!

littleleemur
03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Most of us can play the panicked diver on the surface to some degree, but it takes some real acting ability to play the histerical mother of the "missing diver". Get someone to do that and watch the chaos unfold, talk about a crowd control problem!

That is truly evil ;)

but be careful, once we had a passerby actually call 911....

nat
04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
A-ha! My chance for revenge has come sooner than I expected...I'm assisting my instructor at a rescue class on Saturday...

So, I'm going to cause chaos as a distraught wife of the poor guy doing the course. Then, in my panic, I might accidentally fall in after the initial rescue, sustain a head injury, reveal I can't swim, doggy paddle through some jellyfish and then become unresponsive at the bottom ;)

Oh, and for good measure I'll fall in off the highest platform I can find...well, they gotta know how to perform several types of exit. Right?? :p

Happy, happy days....