PDA

View Full Version : Beauty is Perception

boneman
11-09-2007, 04:04 AM
My friends and I produce skeletal fish art. It’s kind of a hybrid between traditional taxidermy and museum preparation with our own brand of artistic expression. I am looking for some input as to what species are big in your area (salt or fresh water) and what would make a cool skeleton. Check out some our work @ www.helterskeletons.com and let me know what you think.

acelockco
11-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Very interesting. A little scary as well.

You definately have a unique product, I can't imagine how you even get the skeletons to look like that.

Tigerbeach
11-09-2007, 11:38 PM
These are great. I want one for my office.

allisonfinch
11-12-2007, 01:04 AM
:cool:

While I love your product, I don't like your company name.
Your skeleton displays show the beauty of natures work of art. I would love to have one.
Your company name might be thought clever (reference "Helter Skelter" from Charles Manson fame), I find it fairly tasteless. Enough to make me think twice about a purchase. I bet other people of my era, who remember the horror of that incident and had to live through it, might think the same.
I guess youngters who grew up with slice and dice films, and who have not had to deal with similar reality might like it.

Doogs
11-12-2007, 01:09 AM
I like it, it's definitely different

fishome25
11-12-2007, 05:44 PM
very interesting. so one would mail you the fish and you prepare the actual skeleton?
curious how much, lets say an 18" fish would be. just an approximate estimate.

acelockco
11-12-2007, 07:20 PM
I think they already have the fish, but I could be wrong.

If they do, I wonder what the charge for a large fish or shark would be? I bet it would be along lines with the cost of a rebreather.

boneman
11-13-2007, 12:56 AM
Allisonfinch, First thank you for your feedback and I very much appreciate your comments. Our name is not meant to be offensive (more of a play on words that is easy to remember)

fishome25, The majority the work that we do are custom orders (typically your fish). This provides a unique opportunity to catch, clean, consume and still have a truly one of a kind piece of art. Additionally, our prices are on a per inch basis for both preparation and mounting. For an 18 inch specimen, skeletonization would run about $350.00 (mounted in a shadow box of your specifications add $150.00). This is about 1 and a half the cost of traditional taxidermy, however, what you a receiving is a museum quality piece not an airbrushed piece of foam.

acelockco
11-13-2007, 02:11 AM
Thanks for the additional information.

I am intrested in very small fish, so my question is what would be the cost for a very small fish? Maybe something 3 inches long? Could this still be done or would the bones be too fragile? Give us some idea on what the smallest fish you could do and the minimum cost.

Maybe I could get a small one for my desk, they are cool.

boneman
11-13-2007, 03:22 AM
Acelockco, We done some pretty small stuff in the past, so I don't think size is that much of an issue. Something in the 3 inch range would be about $80.00 plus shipping. One of our more popular and lower priced species is the Flyingfish (we sell those for $150.00 + S/H). Do you have a particular species in mind?

Tigerbeach
11-13-2007, 03:41 AM

Your skeleton displays show the beauty of natures work of art. I would love to have one.
Your company name might be thought clever (reference "Helter Skelter" from Charles Manson fame), I find it fairly tasteless. Enough to make me think twice about a purchase. I bet other people of my era, who remember the horror of that incident and had to live through it, might think the same.
I guess youngters who grew up with slice and dice films, and who have not had to deal with similar reality might like it.

The title is a Beatles song. The origin of the song is innocuous.
Get your facts straight, before you play drama queen.
Quit pretending you had to "live through" anything.

acelockco
11-13-2007, 04:40 AM
Boneman,

No, I have nothing in mind yet, but I am sure I will think of something now that I know some of them are in my price range.

Tigerbeach.....Nice.....now you have me laughing.
Sounds like someone was watching Grumpy Old Men.....LOL!!!

Tigerbeach
11-14-2007, 03:00 AM
Yeah, drama queens should get an agent.

allisonfinch
11-27-2007, 12:54 AM
Tiger, while my comments were from a gut response of mine, they were not meant to be personal or mean. Not so yours. There was no reason for such a personal attack.

Helter Skelter of Beatle fame was not so innocuous which is why Manson chose it as a motto for his "family".

BTW,I suspect the "grumpy old men" comment may have been for you.

Sarah
11-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Let's avoid personal attacks or the thread will have to be locked.

Thanks

littleleemur
12-08-2007, 03:23 AM
boneman,
You have a very unique product. I like it :)

yohanson
12-08-2007, 07:40 PM

But Charles Manson took it from Paul McCartney who took it from a British amusement park ride. So, is it really Charles Manson you find tasteless or Paul McCartney or amusement parks?

Sarah
12-09-2007, 06:02 AM
thread closed