PDA

View Full Version : Surface Interval Activities

CrackedConch
11-09-2007, 03:37 AM
What are some of the neat things that either you do or you have seen divemasters do to keep people entertained during surface intervals? What tips and tricks do the pros use to make the total trip more enjoyable--not just the underwater parts?

Here are some examples:

I have seen a DM tell jokes and let the divers tell jokes to pass the time.

I have seen a trick where a DM suspends an apple or orange in mid-air by cracking a tank valve slightly. The rushing air spins the fruit and suspends it in mid-air.

A nice touch I have seen in Florida is that between dives and after the dives, the DM slices fresh oranges to help divers get out the salt taste.

I've been on a boat with a grill and the DM handed out chicken biscuits for lunch.

I've seen hot chocolate served after cold dives or on cold days.

Share your experiences or tips/tricks here...

lottie
11-09-2007, 11:43 AM
The only SI I've been on is for the wreck dive over here - The boat normally provides a good selection of fresh fruit (pineapple, melon, bananas).
I've now got the nickname of 'ChipsAhoy' as on the last two times i've done the wreck dive, i've taken ChipsAhoy for everyone...and now being asked by the boat guys when i'm next doing the wreck dive :)

BamaCaveDiver
11-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Bananas on a boat, I always heard that was supposed to be bad luck :eek: Then again, I have always been the type who thinks it bad luck to be superstitious:p I love Bananas btw:)

acelockco
11-10-2007, 03:19 AM
I dove on the Sceptre out of Ventura and during the surface interval they served a BBQ lunch with all kinds of side dishes. They also had a TV with a VCR (maybe a dvd someday) with a bunch of movies and dive videos. There are also hot showers and a hot tub.

Now on our NJ wreck dives, if you don't bring it, you don't get it. So basically pack something to eat. We also spend time talking about the dive and showing our finds (fish, bugs, artifacts, or whatever) to each other.

rubber chicken
11-10-2007, 05:04 AM
Most Dayboats out of Perth provide a BBQ lunch with a selection of drinks and fresh fruit. This is normally served while anchored and you can snorkel or sunbake to your hearts content while the crew beaver away over a hot grill.
In the UK, we used to provide hot drinks and snacks and allow everybody to partake in the general banter and baiting that is part and parcel of British diving.
I like the 'hovering' idea though, I may steal that one.:D

Doogs
11-10-2007, 06:38 AM
if we are on a shore dive one of us usually brings a foot ball or cricket bat / ball and just muck around for awhile, kills the time well

amtrosie
11-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Bananas on a boat, I always heard that was supposed to be bad luck :eek: Then again, I have always been the type who thinks it bad luck to be superstitious:p

OH BANANAS VERY, VERY, VERY, BAD JOO JOO!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: I have NEVER been on a boat where something bad did not happen! Horrible, horrible dives when that "b" word present. I will not even allow bananas on cave trips or any where near the dive site!!!!! Even Banana nut bread, biscuit, muffins, etc. are "verboten". I have ransacked a "buddies" breakfast bag and destroyed the this potential "dive wrecker". I am not alone in my fanaticism...... er beliefs.

lottie
11-11-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, to prove the skeptics and superstitous wrong - nothing has gone wrong when i've done the wreck dive...touch wood, nothing will.....

so what would happen if you're on a banana boat?? LOL :D

amtrosie
11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Well, to prove the skeptics and superstitous wrong - nothing has gone wrong when i've done the wreck dive...touch wood, nothing will.....

This is not superstitious rhetoric, or paranoia, this is cold hard scientific fact!!!!. Tested and proven beyond all reasonable doubt. As soon as the "b" word removed, (read; appeasing of king Neptune and his vengeful court.....sacrificing of virgins were considered, but none could be located :eek: ) the dives miraculously improved!

As for the banana boat........oh, you deep trouble now!!!! The gods know you and will rise up and smite you for your arrogance. You must repent and seek all manner restitution!!! The sooner the better, so as to not incur the building wrath of this most vengeful being. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The sacrifice of virgins is a guarantee of restitution. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If none can be subdued and cast into the sea, a poisonous serpent (in little pieces) is the next best thing. ;) (Why? because I hate snakes!!!)

GO NOW!!! PROCEDE WITH ALL HASTE, ANOTHER MINUTE MUST NOT BE LOST!!!

amtrosie
11-12-2007, 03:29 PM

This is not superstitious rhetoric, or paranoia, this is cold hard scientific fact!!!!. Tested and proven beyond all reasonable doubt. As soon as the "b" word removed, (read; appeasing of king Neptune and his vengeful court.....sacrificing of virgins were considered, but none could be located :eek: ) the dives miraculously improved!

As for the banana boat........oh, you in deep trouble now!!!! The gods know you and will rise up to smite you for your arrogance. You must repent and seek all manner restitution!!! The sooner the better, so as to not incur the building wrath of this most vengeful being. :eek: :eek: :eek:

The sacrifice of virgins is a guarantee of restitution. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: If none can be subdued and cast into the sea, a poisonous serpent (in little pieces) is the next best thing. ;) (Why? because I hate snakes!!!)

GO NOW!!! PROCEDE WITH ALL HASTE, ANOTHER MINUTE MUST NOT BE LOST!!!

lottie
11-12-2007, 03:52 PM
this is cold hard scientific fact!!!!.

right....okkkay :rolleyes: ...if you believe that, then thats what you believe :cool: :cool:

nb : and before anyone gets the wrong idea and starts flaming me, i didn't mean the above in a horrible way, but in a nice way. Each one of us has different beliefs and ideals.

amtrosie
11-12-2007, 06:57 PM
right....okkkay :rolleyes: ...if you believe that, then thats what you believe :cool: :cool:

Each one of us has different beliefs and ideals.

As you progress with your diving, you will quickly learn to maintain rituals that "work" for you. :p

In all seriousness, You will discover that a routine that disturbs your (pre)dive routine, will really scramble your brain and your preperation. I have certain pre-dive music that "works" for me and I know that my dive is heading in the right direction when I get to tune in the music and tune out the distractions.

acelockco
11-12-2007, 07:23 PM
Does anyone here smoke crack or something?

Take some serious LSD?

What kind of hoo-doo voo-doo do you guys believe in?

Folks, you can quote me on this one:

"Banana's are good for you and I highly recomend that you eat one during a surface interval."

PinayDiver
11-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I pass around a bag of hard menthol-candy to suck on (helps open the ear tubes, or at least in my case it does) as the boat makes its way to the next dive site.

acelockco
11-13-2007, 07:31 AM
I need to start diving with some of you folks. Out on the NJ dive boats you have to worry because the captain or crew might eat your lunch while you are diving. It would be amazing to see someone actually giving out something around here.

LOL

rubber chicken
11-13-2007, 02:19 PM
I need to start diving with some of you folks. Out on the NJ dive boats you have to worry because the captain or crew might eat your lunch while you are diving. It would be amazing to see someone actually giving out something around here.

LOL

Ace, take bananas for your lunch!:D

amtrosie
11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Folks, you can quote me on this one:

"Banana's are good for you and I highly recomend that you eat one during a surface interval."

.........And watch catastrophe strike!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ace,
Fins have mysteriously disappeared, sea conditions SUDDENLY change dramatically!, gear stop working after performing flawlessly on the previous dive. The list is endless. Always bananas present. Dispose of the "b" word, and all of a sudden, everything works as advertised. "COINCIDENCE?.............I think not!" :D :D

Pull out a "b" word while down here on your vacation Ace, and watch the boat capt. get violent. We don't mess with gods of the sea!!!!!! We merely sacrifice a virgin and say our thanks. If you want to dance naked around a fire........well, we do what works. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

acelockco
11-13-2007, 02:41 PM
Are you serious? Do you really think that?

I am sorry, but I think I just lost all respect for you.

Now just to make a point, I am going to bring and eat a bananna on every boat dive I make from today on!

fooddude
11-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Like I've said on many occasions... you people are funny.

I'd like to know and understand the superstition behind the banana's on a boat being bad luck. I agree with Ace, they're good for you (I should know, I'm the FOODDUDE!)

However, as shown in a multitude of the classics (Bugs Bunny, The Flintstones, Riccochet Rabbit, Magilla Gorilla), banana peels are slippery and can lead to falling all over the place, then head injuries, leg injuries, etc, thereby making a dive more difficult.

So from that perspective, they can be viewed as bad luck. BUT, they are a good source of potassium and other electrolytes, vitamins and minerals to keep us hydrated and healthy during activities. This also helps balance out our sodium levels that we invariably throw out-of-whack when we dive in saltwater.

Enjoy the bananas, because I for one, will keep on eating them. Especially like the King when on a Peanut Butter sandwich. One thing to be cautious of is if anyone has a peanut allergy because the smell, or if you touch some of their gear (regulator, snorkel) you can make for a bad experience for all.

Have fun out there, and keep 'em coming.

FD

acelockco
11-13-2007, 05:55 PM
All natural peanut butter and banana's on some organic wheat bread sounds like a dream while sitting in the warm tropical sun between dives. Sipping on some iced Cederberg rooibos tea to wash it down.

hey....puff puff give rasta.

Like I said a dream.....

fooddude
11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
Ace, you've forgotten one thing (maybe tow or more if you're lucky): a bikini-clad with palm fronds to keep the trade winds going...

Can't you see yourself there right now?

FD

acelockco
11-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Well naturally I assumed my wife would be there in a cute bikini next to me.

Of course the winds are important for the sail.

lottie
11-14-2007, 11:31 AM
All natural peanut butter and banana's on some organic wheat bread sounds like a dream while sitting in the warm tropical sun between dives. Sipping on some iced Cederberg rooibos tea to wash it down.

hey....puff puff give rasta.

Like I said a dream.....

Well, Ace..if you don't want it to be your dream any longer, you know where I am :) I can arrange for the peanut butter and banana on wheat bread for you while you sit and enjoy the atmosphere.

Not sure about the Cederberg rooibos tea, we don't have that over here - but a piton beer works wonders ;)

fooddude
11-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Sign me up, Lottie!

FD

P.S. I need directions!

amtrosie
11-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Are you serious? Do you really think that?

I am sorry, but I think I just lost all respect for you.

Ace,

What part do you find difficult to believe? The boat Capt.s getting violent? The sacrificing of virgins? The naked water dance? What?

The respect thing, wow!, however can I draw another breath? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

acelockco
11-14-2007, 09:12 PM
The part where I thought someone smart enough to learn technical diving would also be smart enough not to believe in the boogie man.

If you send me $5500 or one of those new rebreathers, I will place a spell on you that will prevent all bad things from happening to you while enjoying bannanas.

Send me $11,000 or two rebreathers, and I will even take care of the virgins for you. ;)

Funny, reminds me of a word someone else here used recently.....PUTZ.

Oh yea' I also have a brige for sale, but you must know there is a Troll living under the bridge so you will have to pay a toll.

lottie
11-14-2007, 09:51 PM
Sign me up, Lottie!

FD

P.S. I need directions!

Sign you up? for the peanut butter and banana sandwich?
as for directions - turn right at Miami ;) :D :rolleyes: