PDA

View Full Version : Great Product!

fooddude
11-07-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello All,

I came across a terrific product over the summer that may be of interest to many of you. While visiting Newport, RI for a weekend, I went on a dive with a local dive shop. The divemaster had the perfect place to keep the key to his truck so it would not rust, the remote key electronics would not get damaged, and best of all, it won't get lost.

I just recently ordered mine and should have it in the next day or so. Here it is...

It's called the hitch safe [http://www.hitchsafe.com AND http://www.hitchsafe.com/HitchSafe_brochure.pdf]. The website is self-explanatory, so check it out. It turns your trailer hitch recepticle into a secure lock safe.

I found this to be a very useful alternative to hiding keys in the bushes or in some strangers car, or bringing them down under.

I hope you find this worth your time to read.

seasnake
11-07-2007, 05:18 PM
My secret place is inside the hatch that hides the gas filler cap ... shhhhhhhhh

acelockco
11-07-2007, 06:15 PM
My secret place is inside the hatch that hides the gas filler cap ... shhhhhhhhh

Me too, guess it is not that big of a secret anymore.

I sell those hitch safes and they are nice if you have a receiver hitch. If you are really concerned and don't have a receiver, we also have ones that work without the receiver. It is a mini-safe that you can screw onto anything sutable. Maybe underside of your bumber, or even outside of your house for housekeys.

Fortunately where I dive, I could leave the keys in the ignition and not one would even think out touching them.

fooddude
11-07-2007, 08:10 PM
The gas cap hatch was a great idea, except that most people here in NY know about it too; AND, what do you do if your hatch requires a latch from inside the car for access?

This is obviously a convenience item, but a good one none-the-less.

FD

BamaCaveDiver
11-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Seems like overkill for hiding a key, not to mention what do you do if you happen to be towing a trailer. I just go down to my local Ace Hardware or Wally World and have spares made for a buck or two and carry one durong the dive. These don't have the electronic chips in them (so water is no threat to them), but they will still unlock your vehicle door (just cannot start the engine with it.) I keep one in my dry suit pocket all the time.

acelockco
11-08-2007, 08:52 PM
Ace Hardware? Wally World?

Come on, support your local locksmith. They keys won't cost you any more than the corprate store, but they will be MUCH better keys. They will also be made by someone that knows and understands keys, not some high schooler asking the manager how to work that darn key machine again.

Ace (Ace Lock Company)

fooddude
11-08-2007, 10:22 PM
Ace,

despite the fact that the hitch safe may be viewed as overkill, unnecessary, frivolous, etc., is the product well made? What's your opinion as a locksmith?

FD

acelockco
11-08-2007, 11:57 PM
It's a decent product. I would not store anything worth too much in there, because like most locks they are only designed to keep honest people honest.

Personally, I leave my keys because I don't have any fear where I dive. My local quarry is private and gated so go figure. When I dive on a dive boat, they go in my dry box. Now when I dive at the beach and lakes I do just as Bama does. Get a cheap copy of your vehicle door key and keep your keys/remote in the vehicle. It is going to be a very inexpensive solution that will not let you down. Make sure to get a good strap and connect it somewhere you will be able to use it but not loose it!

So instead of spending $50 on the hitch safe, spend $2 or so on a spare key and another few $ on a brass/stainless keyring and snaphook. If you still like the hitch safe I would still say get the extra key made and keep your originals/remote in the car. You can even get in the habit of putting the spare back in the hitch safe after you are done opening the door, that way if you ever lock yourself out of the car, you will be ready with the spare.

fooddude
11-09-2007, 12:13 AM
I always keep a key on my bc anyway, but with this (first vehicle with a hitch so in some ways, it's a toy) I can not worry about my keys when I go jogging in the summer when I wear no jacket and don't like the feel in my pocket for 10-15 miles (it also scratches my leg).

And, regarding the honest people honest comment: if someone wants in, ther're getting in. If someone want's my car, they get that too. Them my key on the bc doesn't work too well anyway.

When I went to Willow Springs I left my keys in the car unlocked as well. Joya made me feel comfortable as my buddy and I were the only two in the quarry.

When the weather warms up, or we get a nice day, I'll let you know when i come out and we'll go diving. You can lock your keys in my safe if you like.

FD

acelockco
11-09-2007, 05:11 AM
Warms up? It is plenty warm for us! I was just diving there this past weekend and the water was great, even for my wetsuit diving buddies! The water was very clear too, nice treat.

Let me know when you would like to make it over this way.

Joya and Tom (her husband) just recently finished up their basic scuba certification. Joya also found out she will not be diving for a while as she is pregnant.

Other than that, the place is shaping up really nicely. They are still doing work to the place every time I am there.

fooddude
11-09-2007, 11:28 AM
It may be warm by you, but it was just 30 degrees here on the Island. I'm sure it was a quick blast, and I'll need to see when I can get out (needs to be a weekend now that the summer is over). I'll let you know.

A bunch of us are planning on going to Lake George in December or January to do some ice diving (I've never done that) and I'm very excited. Are you interested in joining us?

FD

acelockco
11-10-2007, 03:08 AM
I think I may be interested. I have never done that before either, but have been thinking about it. I think I am going to need a cold water regulator, the one I have is EN 250, but it is still not a specific cold water model.

Let me know when you get additional info.

fooddude
11-10-2007, 10:18 AM
As soon as info comes my way (I'm a rookie), I'll keep you posted. I'll need to rent some gear myself as I'm first learning dry suit diving with my AOW class.

FD

acelockco
11-11-2007, 02:16 AM
Dry suit?

Now you are going to really understand what comfort during a dive is all about!

I feel like I am sitting in my favorite armchair when I dive dry!

amtrosie
11-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I think I am going to need a cold water regulator, the one I have is EN 250, but it is still not a specific cold water model.

Save your money. A "cold water reg" is a gimmick!!! Take your first stage to your regulator tech and tell him to de-tune it. What that means is the first stage IP (Intermediate Pressure) must be reduced (120-125 psi). A sealed reg is a crock! The problems for first stages, that are common to ice diving result when the 2nd stage free-flows and the pressure drop from the passing gas, also creates a temperature drop (Charles' Law) and in the presence of near freezing water temps. and moisture, a "frozen" reg. It may not be a bad idea to set your 2nd stage to breath a "little harder". this will help prevent a free-flow and the problems noted earlier.

As for the "nice" weather you have had, I didn't know your water temp was in the 80's. After all everyone knows that that is wet suit weather. :D :D

hbh2oguard
12-03-2007, 07:19 PM
What about the magnetic key box for $5 dollars or less??? That's always worked fine. Also you can get a thing simular to what houses for sale have of the door knob. They make those safe boxes with a U shaped lock to lock to you car. A good place is where the safety chains hook up so you can still tow with your car.

Here is a pic of what I was thinking of and it less than half the price but still a lot more than a spare key.

http://calendarsandmore.com/images/470.jpg