PDA

View Full Version : Travel with long blades question

freediver
11-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Just got back from DEMA - traveled with my long blades as carry on in my soft bag and realized it was a major pain to deal with.

I was thinking that an inexpensive hard rifle case like this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/PLANO-36-RIFLE-SHOTGUN-BREAK-UP-GUN-HARD-CASE-1535-00_W0QQitemZ230186374435QQihZ013QQcategoryZ73940QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosti ng) would be the perfect solution to travel with my long blades since these cases are usually available in assorted lengths that can accommodate the fins. Then I could just check the bag in and the blades would be protected from damage in transit.

Anyone have experience with this and have any recommendations on a cheap case source?

hbh2oguard
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
That case was pretty cheap, or maybe look at a local sporting goods store or gun shop to save on shipping.

acelockco
11-04-2007, 10:33 PM
I guess you could rip out the padding to have room for other gear. I don't think the padding would be necessary for the fins. I bet those freediving fins must be a real problem to pack!

You could always "wear them" and they would not be a carry on anymore. Maybe get some string and then hang them over your shoulder like a purse. Then just put them under the seat after you board. JUST DON'T FORGET THEM!!!!

freediver
11-05-2007, 11:04 PM
I found a similar case at MalWart for less than $23.00. After removing the foam padding, I can fit my blades, mask, snorkel, 3mm or 5mm suit, gloves and booties inside. The case is airline approved and can be locked with TSA approved locks so I'm going to utilize this on my next trip and see how it works for traveling.

lottie
11-05-2007, 11:59 PM
I don't think the padding would be necessary for the fins.

When you mentioned about blades, i didn't realise you were talking about fins.
<Lottie leaves the room shaking her head>

freediver
11-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Lol.. :D :D :D

hbh2oguard
11-06-2007, 03:12 AM
MalWart..........very funny:D

acelockco
11-06-2007, 01:39 PM
When you mentioned about blades, i didn't realise you were talking about fins.
<Lottie leaves the room shaking her head>

Lottie,

If you ever see a set of freedivers "fins" you will completely understand why they call them "blades". They are insanely long!

lottie
11-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Well Ace, that is why i didn't realise Freediver was speaking about fins, as i've never seen a freediver's fins...er...flippers...er..I mean....blades.

Hence my post :)

acelockco
11-06-2007, 07:09 PM
I know you did know what he was talking about, I was just telling you and anyone else that the freediver "fins" are really long.

Now Freediver, I do have a question, what is the reason for such long fins? How about the mono-fin I see some freedivers with?

hbh2oguard
11-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Ace I'm not much of a freediver but I do know a few guys that are and to the best of my understanding the fins are so long so you get the extra thrust. I guess it's like an extention of your body. I've never seen the mono fins so I really don't know.

freediver
11-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Now Freediver, I do have a question, what is the reason for such long fins? How about the mono-fin I see some freedivers with?
The longer fins have a flex characteristic that is more efficient - my Waterway glass composite blades (http://www.finswimworld.com/spearfishing/nemo_fin.htm) are a dream to dive with - the have rubber rails on each side that channel the water very efficiently and provide for a long slow kick cycle that is quite efficient once you understand the proper mechanics of a proper freedive kick cycle. I obtained the fin blades without foot pockets and installed them on my Picasso Foot pockets as they fit my feet perfectly. I dive a #2 stiffness which is more compliant than lower cost plastic freedive fins. The Waterways go from #1 (soft) to #5 (very stiff).

When I trained with Aharon Solomons (http://www.freedivers.net/aboutus.htm) 18 months ago at the Blue Hole in New Mexico, he suggested I get them as plastic blades were screwing up my finning technique - Best advice I could have received that actually improved my freedive technique.

Monofins are great if you're wanting to compete as they do provide a better transfer of energy, but they really require taking a course in how to utilize them properly as the biomechanics involved in using one takes a fair amount of work to perfect the technique.

In my opinion for the majority of recreational divers, a good pair of freediving bi-fins gives more flexibility regarding control in the water.