PDA

View Full Version : Wreck Hunter PADI Speciality

Stevect
10-30-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi guys,

Well I've just finished writing up and been approved my distinctive speciality "Wreck Hunter". It's a course that's been designed around twin beam side scan sonar and magnetometers used for wreck hunting. This course is to dispel some of the myths about using that kind of kit. There are lots of hands on training with both pieces of kit and at the end of the course students will be awarded the PADI "Wreck Hunter" distinctive speciality card and will be able to go out and buy this kit and get results. Who knows, if you have heard that myth (and we all have them) locally about that treasure rich ship that sank in your neighbourhood then you will need to know how to use this kit to find it.

There is more information on my website at Wreck Hunter (http://www.divetheworld.com/Diving/Wreckhunter/index.htm) and on the Emperor Divers website at Emperor (http://www.emperordivers.com/liveaboards_routes_wreckhunting.php).

If anyone wants to come along on one of our safaris just drop us a line. There are a lot of wrecks in the Red Sea and this is the first time that anyone has taken this kind of kit out there to look for them. I will be there for a month in the end of Jan begining of Feb checking locations that I have gleaned from the archives and when we run the safaris everyone will be diving on wrecks that nobody has dived on before.

During a recent safari I was lucky enough to be invited to film a WWII destroyer that has previously been undived and you can see the video here (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=g6zSJRQ8K4k) which I hope you like.

Steve

lars2923
10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
We employ side scan sonar in reef research.
We use the sonar to scan the bottom, see an item that require
people to visit/dive and record... The data is then use to determine
a new site, discover new items, validate an existing site, etc...
Your course can broaden it's porpoise (pun!)

acelockco
10-30-2007, 09:09 PM
Sounds like a great course for the boat owner.

The only downside is the cost of owning a sidescan sonar. I know they are as expensive as a mid-priced vehicle.

Stevect
10-31-2007, 12:34 AM
We employ side scan sonar in reef research.
We use the sonar to scan the bottom, see an item that require
people to visit/dive and record... The data is then use to determine
a new site, discover new items, validate an existing site, etc...
Your course can broaden it's porpoise (pun!)

I think I spotted the pun. LOL A lot of side scan sonar units today now plug straight into a laptop which is really handy. The old thermal printer on a RIB or small boat is just too impractical and they are really easy to understand quickly. The mag with the sonar is a perfect partnership for wreck hunting and if you still can't find it I've got a sub bottom profiler that will look through 40 meters of silt so if it's buried I could still find it.

Steve

Stevect
10-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Sounds like a great course for the boat owner.

The only downside is the cost of owning a sidescan sonar. I know they are as expensive as a mid-priced vehicle.

You don't really have to be a boat owner as the towfish are portable. If you have this kind of kit then everyone who is a boat owner and a diver will just invite you out to look for their "mystery" wreck.

Steve

acelockco
10-31-2007, 12:41 AM
You don't really have to be a boat owner as the towfish are portable. If you have this kind of kit then everyone who is a boat owner and a diver will just invite you out to look for their "mystery" wreck.

Steve

True, I guess if you own the equipment and are trained, you could trade your services for dive time. I have seen a few different sidescan units work and they are really amazing. The detail is insane, you can even make out anchor chain links on high resolution.

Sounds like fun Steve!