PDA

View Full Version : Dive Light Weight

hbh2oguard
10-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Does anyone know of a good way to add some weight to a dive light? I just put rechargeable batteries in my primary and due to the decreased weight of the batteries my light became positively buoyant. Any help???

Finless
10-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Well, It depends on the internal spaces and what mechanisms there are but I would suggest buying a piece of lead sheet and cutting/rolling to fit internally into the spaces in your torch.

One would assume that lead is a conductor of electricity so be careful you can't short anything out.

hbh2oguard
10-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Yea I think there would be room for a piece of sheet metal, I was think maybe just clamping it on the outside.

acelockco
10-30-2007, 09:19 PM
you can also add some lead shot. You should put it into a small bag so you don't conduct electricity like stated before. You really should not need much, but if that does not work, you can always get a small weight and zip-tie it to the light.

What light do you have? Did you adapt it yourself to recharge or was it a upgrade kit from the manufacturer? I have been thinking about doing the same.

hbh2oguard
10-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey Ace-

I have a older UK1200, and I still think it's one of the best lights out there. I don't think they make conversion kits for this light so I just went to the store and bought 8D batteries. Batteries and charge cost $50 but that's about the cost for three rounds of replacing normal batteries. I never really thought about the buoyancy changing but it did because it's atleast 1/2 the weight that it use to be. I'll try some lead shot and see how it works. It didn't notice any loss in quality of the light due to the rechargeable batteries.

acelockco
10-31-2007, 12:38 AM
Ok, cool I have the same light and that is the one I was thinking about converting along with my new Pelican 8-D light.

What brand did you get? I know Energizer has D cell rechargeables, but they are very difficult to find. I have only seen them on ebay. I was thinking about making a battery pack as another option. I can definately understand the cost of the batterys though!

My only other worry with the UK-1200 is that the light bulb is no longer available. I have the screw in type bulb. I called UK in refrence to this issue, and they basically told me I should buy a new light. I said it has a Lifetime Warranty, and they should replace the light, but they did not agree. It really sucks because the light works perfectly and I really like the size and feel.

That being said, I bought a broken Pelican light off Ebay, and sent it back to Pelican. Guess what? They sent me a brand new in the box replacement light! I love my UK, but I wouldn't buy another!

hbh2oguard
10-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Well that sucks, because mine is the two prong kind and they still make them, or atleast last time I checked. I got no name batteries from Harbor Freight(their brand). I've only used them once but they were a good price compared to other batteries I saw on the net. I think I'm going to get straight bracets and slide them down the side to add weight. Haven't tried so don't know if it will work. I added a few heay clips to the handle for now.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItemList.do

acelockco
10-31-2007, 04:23 AM
I don't think they make that one any longer either, but there are a good supply of old stock around on that bulb. Unfortunately the one I have is even older than the one you have and there is nothing around for it.

I suppose when it finally goes, I will have an excuse to upgrade to a canister light.

Now if I can talk one of our members into making one for me......

hbh2oguard
10-31-2007, 04:18 PM
james sgp....... time to start a new line of work:)

amtrosie
10-31-2007, 10:23 PM
Instead of changing batteries, why not go with LED upgrades? The batteries last much longer, the bulbs are far brighter and better. Ther is not perceptable weight change.

acelockco
10-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Unfortunately there are no LED upgrades available for these old lights. Of course that does not include the homebrew versions.

And yes, when I upgrade to a canister I will either go HID or LED.

hbh2oguard
11-01-2007, 12:37 AM
personally I like halogen better. I have a led primary and it doesn't give me the depth that my halogen does. It's brighter up close but I can't see stuff far away. Plus the lobster don't like the bright light, and I have a special filter rigged up to my halogen light for lobster diving.

hbh2oguard
11-01-2007, 12:39 AM
oh yea I'm thinking of adding an anode as a weight by just putting it on with some glue to the back of the light.

acelockco
11-01-2007, 01:25 AM
that will work, and of course if it ever fails, no worries as the light will then float.

hbh2oguard
11-01-2007, 02:08 AM
also if I drop it, it's still connected to my bc and it would sink with the standing up so I could see the light.