PDA

View Full Version : Not a white bird of peace but 'dived'!

Finless
10-21-2007, 10:05 PM
It's a bit of a mute point as the word 'dove' (past tense of 'to dive') seems to have worked its way into the English language or, at least, the American version of it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I dived yesterday NOT dove!!:mad:

:) :) :)

hbh2oguard
10-22-2007, 12:23 AM
Haha very funny:p But dove is still grammatically correct, right?

rubber chicken
10-22-2007, 06:51 AM
America and England, "two countries seperated by a common language".:)

Daddy-h2O
10-22-2007, 12:01 PM
It's a bit of a mute point as the word 'dove' (past tense of 'to dive') seems to have worked its way into the English language or, at least, the American version of it.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I dived yesterday NOT dove!!:mad:

:) :) :)

UM thanks for the English lesson but the word "mute" is defined as unable to speak, and the word "moot" is defined as not worthy to be discussed.

I dive at five.

I have dived at the quarry

I dove yesterday in my wet suit.

I failed english in highschool

Finless
10-22-2007, 03:54 PM
UM thanks for the English lesson but the word "mute" is defined as unable to speak, and the word "moot" is defined as not worthy to be discussed.

I dive at five.

I have dived at the quarry

I dove yesterday in my wet suit.

I failed english in highschool

I think you should have received a pass!

You are correct and spotted my, obviously, deliberate mistake?

Said mistake being to start typing without engaging the brain.:rolleyes:

Daddy-h2O
10-22-2007, 04:43 PM
The only reason I caught it was because I do the same thing and catch all sorts of grief for it.

lottie
10-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Anyway, I just wanted to say that I dived yesterday NOT dove!!

Actually, both are correct. According to dictionary-reference.com (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/dove) states:
"Both dived and dove are standard as the past tense of dive. Dived, historically the older form, is somewhat more common in edited writing, but dove occurs there so frequently that it also must be considered standard: The rescuer dove into 20 feet of icy water. Dove is an Americanism that probably developed by analogy with alternations like drive, drove and ride, rode. It is the more common form in speech in the northern United States and in Canada, and its use seems to be spreading."

acelockco
10-23-2007, 12:18 AM
Just remember when you say "dived" you soud like an idiot.

How about went diving? No you don't have to say "dived" or "dove" or "doveded".

Finless
10-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Just remember when you say "dived" you soud like an idiot.

How about went diving? No you don't have to say "dived" or "dove" or "doveded".

Fully acceptable to me and being implemented from .................................... NOW!

Tigerbeach
10-23-2007, 04:20 PM
And mute, of course, is the commonly accepted past tense version of moot...
Like: "the deaf mute's point was mute."

Purpleturtle
10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I've often joked (and I've found many other Celts who say this) "DIVEN" as a past tense.
eg. Scotsman to Irishman "I went to a dive site yesterday thats never been diven"
I know its not correct but it just rolls off our tongues, like a colloquialism.
Its true! "have you diven today?"

acelockco
10-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Humm...It just doesn't roll off my tongue.

Daddy-h2O
10-23-2007, 08:13 PM
I hate using the word "colloquialism" makes me feel all queezy inside....

acelockco
10-23-2007, 09:44 PM

Then don't use it.

I don't think I have ever used it.

lottie
10-23-2007, 10:18 PM
Then don't use it.

I don't think I have ever used it.

Ace, indirectly you just used it in your last post ;)

acelockco
10-24-2007, 04:03 AM
Ace, indirectly you just used it in your last post ;)

No I didn't!

lottie
10-24-2007, 12:19 PM
lol @ Ace - you quoted Daddy H2O which had colloqualism in it - so you indirectly did ;)

Finless
10-24-2007, 01:41 PM

It's "hollistic" that does for mine! :(

acelockco
10-25-2007, 12:05 AM
lol @ Ace - you quoted Daddy H2O which had colloqualism in it - so you indirectly did ;)

That does not count, especially because I did not type it. The program put it up there....just as it is above this post. (I did not type that one either).

Papa Bear
02-15-2008, 05:59 AM
Here is how I have heard it: Dive as in SCUBA Dive is a Noun and Dived is the past tenths. To dive is a verb and to have dove in is the past tenths of the verb. Having said that I am sure we in America have screwed it up and it is a gray or grey issue. The past tenths of SCUBA Diving (A Thing) to me is SCUBA Dived! My 2 cents!

thalassamania
02-15-2008, 06:43 AM
The American Heritage Dictionary states that:

The kids opened the box and dove into the pizza. But should they have dived? The verb dive has two past tenses, dived and dove, and both are acceptable. Dived is actually the earlier form, and dove may seem strange in light of the general tendencies of change in English verb forms. Old English had two classes of verbs, called strong and weak. Strong verbs formed their past tense by a change in their vowel. Thus drive (past tense drove) and fling (past tense flung) are descendants of Old English strong verbs. Weak verbs formed their past tense by adding a suffix related to -ed in Modern English. The verbs live (past tense lived) and move (past tense moved) come from Old English weak verbs. But not all of the descendants of Old English verbs have preserved this pattern. Many verbs have changed from the strong pattern to the weak one; for example, the past tense of help, formerly healp, became helped, and the past tense of step, formerly stop, became stepped. Over the years, in fact, the weak pattern has become so prevalent that we use the term regular to refer to verbs that form their past tense by the addition of -ed. However, there have occasionally been changes in the other direction. For example, the past tense of wear, now wore, was once werede; that of spit, now spat, was once spitede. The development of dove is an additional example of the small group of verbs that have swum against the historical tide.

Tigerbeach
02-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Someone say pizza...?