PDA

View Full Version : Hi all..

sds-uk
10-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Hi all,

Thought I'd sign up find out what other divers are up to, read through the posts and hopefully make some scuba ifriends.

All little about me:-

My wife and I completed our Open Water in Turkey in August this year. Having first taken our theory in the UK with Divecrew. Also managed to do a Nitrox Speciality while we were in Turkey.

Because we wanted to continue our diving we decided to buy Dry suits so we could comfortable dive in the UK. Last weekend we completed our Dry suit Speciality, now looking forward to diving in the UK. We've also joined a great club and are hoping to get out diving once a month. Hoping to go to the Red Sea in Jan so we can complete our Advanced.

So I suppose you could say we've got the diving bug.

I've got my own Homepage so if you want to see my photos and web links take a look.

http://www.stevesparkes.co.uk/diving-links.html

Looking forward to chatting to all.

Steve

lottie
10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Steve,
welcome to our little space and congrats on getting into this hobby (expensive, but exhilarating!)

feel free to add your POV's or start a new thread :)

lottie
10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Hi Steve,
welcome to our little space and congrats on getting into this hobby (expensive, but exhilarating!)

feel free to add your POV's or start a new thread :)

acelockco
10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Glad to see you jumped right into the dry suits, it is going to really make the difference in the amount you actually go diving.

Can't wait to chat it up with ya'

Ace

sds-uk
10-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the welcome. As and when I get a chance to log on I've been reading some of the threads and theirs some good stuff and some fun stuff so it looks like this is going to be a good place to hang.

lottie
10-16-2007, 02:32 PM
yeah, this is a good place to hang out...some serious threads, some not so serious...but all good fun :D

rubber chicken
10-16-2007, 03:05 PM
G,day
Which part of the 'mother country' will you be gracing with your underwater presence ?

sds-uk
10-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi their,

So far we've only dived once in the UK and that was to do our Dry Suit speciality. We were diving at http://www.vobsterquay.co.uk/ which is in Somerset, South west UK. Other than that we were diving in Turkey in Fethiye with European Divers http://www.europeandiving.co.uk/fethiye.htm with a chap called Alan who took us through our PADI Open water. We had an absolutely superb time managed to get our Nitrox Speciality and a night dive in too.

And I can tell you now that diving in the UK in a dry suit is a hole new ball game especially when you've only dived in warm water in a wet suit. We've gone and brought nearly everything we need to get us diving so all of our gear is stiff, tight, new and unfamiliar but we've found a good crowd of people to dive with http://www.divecrew.co.uk/ so with their help support and guidance we had a really good day. Can't wait until next time..

If only I could afford more holidays, I wish I could go diving in Australia and exotic places like that every month. Having said that we're planning on a trip to the Red Sea after crimbo and possible to the Seychelles a lot later next year so we wont be doing to bad.

Sorry for going on guys but I can't help it I'm like a kid with a new paddling pool.....

acelockco
10-16-2007, 10:58 PM
NO WORRIES MAN!!!!

You don't have to go far for some of the best diving in the world. I know the warm water is a nice thing, but the cold waters of the UK hide some of the best kept secrets in the diving world. Look into some of the wonderful WWII wrecks that are off your shore and you will be amazed. Also the cold water brings some great spearfishing opprotunities for you as well.

Your conditions (similar to my local dive conditions) will make you an excellent diver with a huge skill set.

Again, glad to have you here!

rubber chicken
10-17-2007, 12:15 AM
Oh man. I remember Vobster. I did my AOW there on a very cold Febuary day. I was the only person there in a wetsuit and only managed two out of three dives because I eventually turned blue and the instructor called it off. That night, I was as sick as a dog as my internal temperature wobbled up and down by several degrees. The experience got me a drysuit when I returned to the UK.
I f you are based around that area, I can recommend that you head down to Plymouth for some excellent wreck diving - try Aquanauts or Venture-, or go to Thurlstone and do a shore dive on the wreck of the Louis Sheid. Babbacombe is also a pretty good shore dive for critters - but watch for the parking nazi in the car park at the bottom of the hill.:mad: -.
It may also pay you to visit your local BSAC club. Now that you're getting into UK diving, you'll begin to notice that diving opportunities are literally everywhere.
Enjoy and dive safe.