PDA

View Full Version : I'm procrastinating

lottie
10-11-2007, 10:26 PM
One of my all time favourite bad habits.

I should be reading up on my Rescue manual (not doing the actual course for a few weeks yet)....but I can't get into the right frame of mind to read the book - As i type, I have it open in front of me...(on page 53 if you really wanted to know!)

So, any of you that have done the Rescue course, got any pearls of wisdom from when you did the course that you'd like to share??

Tigerbeach
10-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I was excited to have the skills learned in the rescue course!
(I knew I wanted to be an Instructor by that point.)
I used the text as a way to develop my physical skills in the water,
as well as the mindset
I just devoured that stuff!

Will you tell us what motivated you to want to be a rescue diver to begin with?

lottie
10-11-2007, 10:42 PM
I've heard that the Rescue course is a rewarding course to do - both physically and mentally. Am i ready for the challenge...I think so.

I booked it up for a number of reasons - because i love doing scuba, i think it's part of the natural progression. Plus, I had to give TOH a ride to work (he's a DM) and thought, why put it off when I can do it today?

Plus i want to do my DM course early next year as well....and try and get a job as a DM somewhere on this island (or maybe even another island). but that's all far off at the moment and will be another story for another time.

Tigerbeach
10-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Ok. Now that is something I can work with.
As I understand it, Lottie, you want to be one of the few divers that ever earn Divemaster rating in this industry; even fewer still are the number of Divemasters that want to work professionally.

The next part is simple: there are people right now, that aren't even thinking about being certified yet, who's lives will be in YOUR hands when you lead them on a dive in a few years and something goes amiss...
(Let's not even bring up liability or Insurance)

Want more motivation than that?

lottie
10-11-2007, 11:24 PM
The next part is simple: there are people right now, that aren't even thinking about being certified yet, who's lives will be in YOUR hands when you lead them on a dive in a few years and something goes amiss...
(Let's not even bring up liability or Insurance)

Want more motivation than that?

okay, that motivates me.....i'm a reading...i'm a reading :D

I've already found out about liability - i asked back in July about doing a DM internship...the big cheese said no due to liability issues......

dalehall
10-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Hey Lottie.. Did you ever get to read the Rescue Class write up on my website?? That will tell you exactly what we through.. To be honest, the bookwork was hard for me to get motivated to do also.. The video was even worse!!! I watched it twice prior to the class, not knowing we would watch it first thing day one of class. But the class itself was a BLAST!!! In fact, I had so much fun in it, I just helped DM the last Rescue Class and had just as fun being a victim as I did the Rescuer.
Now, I'm having trouble staying motivated in the book portion of my DM class.. So, you are not alone my dear!!!

lottie
10-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Thanks Dale - yes, I did look at your write up on your site. I haven't got the video, so i'll have the joys of watching that when I do the dives in a few weeks time.

I empathise with you about the book portion of the DM - I've already got the books and had a quick flip through them... good luck with that :S

Papa Bear
10-12-2007, 01:11 AM
I was going to answer you when you first posted and had some good stuff to tell you, but I put it off and forgot what I was going to say, I know it was great stuff! Next time maybe I will do it faster and getter done;)

lottie
10-12-2007, 01:14 AM
papabear - i'm sure you'll remember what you were going to say, on one of those occasions when you're doing something else and it'll pop back into your head :)

Papa Bear
10-12-2007, 01:18 AM
I put it off for too long and it's gone, guess you shouldn't wait if you have something important!;)

Daddy-h2O
10-12-2007, 02:11 AM
I thought I could add something and then I remembered that if ....

I did the Stress and Rescue with SSI, it was without a doubt a coursw I would repeat as many times as possible. Both as rescue guy and victim guy. I met one of my best dive friend ever when I took the class and got to be victim when his wife did the course, and in another few weeks I will be playing victim again. You will learn some good lessons that are worth being reinforced.

We have a pool session before going to the open water. I typically do very awkward things in the pool, plastic snakes are a great and wonderful thing.
( I would not pull the same stunt in the open water, but for the most part students will approach me with much more caution because of what I do in the pool.)

It is, in my opinion, the best course.

Enjoy

lottie
10-12-2007, 02:18 AM
I typically do very awkward things in the pool, plastic snakes are a great and wonderful thing.

plastic snakes??? Do i even want to ask....... :o

hbh2oguard
10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Oh I wish I could be reading a rescue course manual...... A LOT better than being a full time student as a Bio-chem major.:) But it's just one of those far off dreams that will never come true because I'll always have a chem book infront of me, no time for diving.:)

Trust me it could be worse.

Tigerbeach
10-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Yeah, you could be dealing with plastic snakes instead!

Daddy-h2O
10-12-2007, 02:49 PM
plastic snakes??? Do i even want to ask....... :o

No, but I'm gonna tell you anyways... I stuck the head just outside my bc next to the reg and was laying frace down on the surface, when the girl rolled me over, and saw the snake head, I think she actually ran across the water. Like I said I wouldn't go so far in the open water. And it was probly the wrong thing to do, but it was funny.

In hind sight it drove the eagerness out of some people. I always think of rescue in an odd way. Yes it is nice and rewarding experiance to actually rescue some one. And this drives at least one person I know, They need to be there on the scene and take the credit. However it is, in my mind, just as important to learn not to be the second victim should there be a problem in the rescue.

I have seen students in such a hurry that they exhaust themseves out before they reach the end of the pool. Maybe being a little leery may not be a bad thing.

Well that is my perspective...