PDA

View Full Version : Medical check-ups?

Andy
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Here's one for any seasoned travellers amongst you;

Generally speaking, for those destinations that require a medical certificate, is it easier sort it out before you go (ie in UK) or is it straightforward in places like Spain where English is widely spoken?

Any comments from globetrotters would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

acelockco
10-09-2007, 10:41 PM
I have never heard of such a thing, but then again I am not the most seasoned traveler out there.

I would think that anything you can take care of before you trip will help things go better. Why would you want to waste any of your travel time in a Dr.'s office? It could turn out to be an all day event!

The other thing is, what if (hopefully not) something is really wrong. Wouldn't you perfer to know about that at home (ie. good medical care) or in some strange country? If they even could detect the problem there.....

The Publisher
10-09-2007, 10:44 PM
What destinations require a medical certificate?

lottie
10-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Here's one for any seasoned travellers amongst you;

Generally speaking, for those destinations that require a medical certificate, is it easier sort it out before you go (ie in UK) or is it straightforward in places like Spain where English is widely spoken?

Any comments from globetrotters would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy
Andy,
As Ace suggested, you would be better off getting a medical certificate in the UK before travelling for a couple of reasons - your GP would be able to do this (I'm sure they would), and they know about the medical history of the traveller. If anything further needs to be undertaken on any treatment, it'll be better to get that done before travelling in an environment that you know and where there are no language barrier problems.

HTH

Papa Bear
10-10-2007, 12:12 AM
Australia does! You better bring it with you our your not diving! You must have a cert from your doc even on a live aboard! :( People have been turned away that have booked and not brought it with them!

Sarah
10-10-2007, 12:37 AM
And just exactly what must this medical paper certify?

Papa Bear
10-10-2007, 12:43 AM
That you are fit for diving!:rolleyes: I think you can find the form on a government site? I will try and find it and post it here;)

rubber chicken
10-10-2007, 12:45 AM
Australia does! You better bring it with you our your not diving! You must have a cert from your doc even on a live aboard! :( People have been turned away that have booked and not brought it with them!

Partial credit!:D

You need medical certification to learn to dive here, but not if already certified.

Papa Bear
10-10-2007, 12:51 AM
Here is the link and it is in section 2.3.1. http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/hirs/downloads/bd2.pdf

Quero
10-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Partial credit!:D

You need medical certification to learn to dive here, but not if already certified.

Absolutely right. I've dived in Australia enough (including on a LOB) to know that no medical form signed by a doctor is needed for certified divers. However, if you have a condition that could give pause, and you think there is a chance that you might be turned down, it's wise to take your medical clearance form along.

As for learning to dive, we all require at least medical statements signed by the student diver, and some countries require a medical clearance signed by a doctor, in addition.

Quero
10-10-2007, 01:16 AM
Here is the link and it is in section 2.3.1. http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/hirs/downloads/bd2.pdf

That's just the site of the University of Queensland. Any institution can make rules that are not necessarily enshrined in law.

Papa Bear
10-10-2007, 01:17 AM
Some places maybe lax on requirements and if you read the whole thing it is pretty hard to enforce, but for live aboards I know that people have been turned away! I am glad for your sake they didn't enforce their rules, but they do exist and I would fly half way around the world and take a chance! :(

Papa Bear
10-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Here is another site:http://www.divemedicals.com.au/requirements.htmlhttp://www.divemedicals.com.au/requirements.html

rubber chicken
10-10-2007, 02:21 AM
Here is another site:http://www.divemedicals.com.au/requirements.htmlhttp://www.divemedicals.com.au/requirements.html

Which states that a dive medical is required for courses, not for normal recreational dives. I have never been asked for a medical certification on any dive that i've done here. On the dayboats that I have worked on we check C-cards - and will turn you away if you can't produce one- but we never ask for proof of a dive medical.
On the Liveaboards that i've done, I have had to fill in a self certification form as part of the liability release but have never had to provide an form of official certification.
The above notwithstanding, getting a check out from a medical professional on an annual or bi-annual basis is not a bad idea. After all, you get your kit serviced regularly, why not the really important bit that the kit is designed to preserve ?

Papa Bear
10-10-2007, 02:28 AM
I just emailed a friend in Australia and if you read the second site it states that if you answer yes to any of the medical questions or are 55 or older then operators are required to ask for you medical. He said you do to learn and then under the above circumstances, but he said there are a lot of rules that are not strictly adhered too! My point is if you are going all that way, from here or Europe, then I wouldn't take a chance, but I am over 55 so for me better safe than a waste! :D

Andy
10-10-2007, 02:38 PM
I see what you mean, I had to get a doctor's certificate to be allowed on the open water course, so hopefully that will be accepted, I will investigate further......

Andy
10-10-2007, 02:44 PM
So far the canaries & spain, in Mauritius I had to show my doctor's certificate due to childhood back problems. This is the sort of thing I was worried about - [B]Medical
If you are already certified and just want to dive with us, we’ll ask you to complete the standard RSTC (PADI) medical statement before you dive. As per normal procedure, if you answer ‘no’ to all the questions - no problem. If the honest answer to any question is ‘yes’, please have a medical examination (for your own safety) and get your doctor to complete and sign his section of the form before you come to dive.

If you want to enrol on a certification course (Open Water Diver, Advanced / Adventure Diver etc), local law in Murcia states that you must have a diving medical. There are two options for this:

1. In your home country. Complete and sign the PADI medical statement (we can provide a copy of this on request). Then get a doctor to check your fitness and complete the physician's section of the statement.

2. In Spain. Get a Spanish diving medical certificate, we can give you details of where to go for a while-u-wait medical

Andy
10-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Thanks for your input and the links.

Andy
10-10-2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks Lottie, it does seem to be the general consensus to get it in advance.