PDA

View Full Version : Should Instructors be certified Rescue

lars2923
10-08-2007, 01:49 PM
How much training, how far should the training go, what credential should a
Dive Instructor have when it comes to emergency management, first aid,
oxygen administration, CPR, medical terminology, physiology, anatomy?

lottie
10-08-2007, 03:34 PM
all instructors (and DMs) should be trained in Rescue.

At my LDS (which is also a resort), they are trained in DAN O2 (including the boat guys), deal with emergency management, know first aid and CPR.

As for knowing about medical terminology, physiology and anatomy, i think that is down to the individual and how far they want to know about things and any further training that they would be interested in doing.

Just my twopenneth

amtrosie
10-08-2007, 06:12 PM
Instructors must be rescue certified, which requires first aid and CPR. I believe that the DAN O2 class has been added as another requirement. Check with the various agencies for specific certification requirements.

seasnake
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Definitely rescue certified, no question, and like amtrosie said that includes FA and CPR. O2 provider is a must too. Everything they can know about rescue, first aid, first responder, emergency and injury managment and the like. Medical terminology, physiology and anatomy (at least what you need for things that could happen on scene) come along with that. Know how to provide care until you can get someone in trouble to professional care.

hbh2oguard
11-04-2007, 05:40 PM
Atleast first responder for the professional, and maybe even EMT

Tigerbeach
11-04-2007, 11:16 PM

Why do you ask?
Why do you want to know?

rubber chicken
11-05-2007, 12:18 PM
A possibly related question; Should a Rescue qualification require refresher courses to stay current ? In the same way as most first aid courses. If so, how often ? Annually? Biannually ? If not, why not ?

This question was raised by one of our rescue students at the weekend. Both the instructor and myself agreed that this was probably a good idea and we are going to try and sit down and plan a one day mini course which we hope to offer at minimal cost to our local diving community.

hbh2oguard
11-05-2007, 04:08 PM
A possibly related question; Should a Rescue qualification require refresher courses to stay current ? In the same way as most first aid courses. If so, how often ? Annually? Biannually ? If not, why not ?

It depends on your personal use. If you are not using it as a paid professional it really doesn't matter if you refresh or not. But if you are being paid it should be refreshed every year or so, just like basic first responder courses. How long the refresher should be is a whole other question.

Tigerbeach
11-06-2007, 03:09 AM

Maybe the only thing that matters is : "Can you teach someone to play safely in the water?"

seasnake
11-07-2007, 05:56 PM
It would be great to get a group of local divers to commit to maintaining there skills by getting together for practice sessions and the like.

rubber chicken
11-08-2007, 08:02 AM
SS, That's the idea. We have a fair few divers locally who have Rescue quals. a few non-current Dm's and several retired instructors who haven't gone through a rescue scenario in years. I think that Rescue skills are the type of thing that can go rusty really quickly without practice. If we can make a fun day out happen - remember the fun you had on your rescue course ?:rolleyes: - then, people get a refresher and we get a pool of trained up rescue divers. Seems like a win-win to me.

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 05:25 AM
As a group we kinda do some drills at the beginning of the season and every month or so we're out locally: search & recovery, search & rescue, 02 administration review - lots show up for that one :p

It's a lot of fun and everyone gets to practice rusty skills.

& to answer the original question, yes Instructors should be certified rescue (bare minimum), because never-ever students trust them completely with their life in a foreign environment. Big resposibility.

lars2923
01-15-2008, 01:54 AM
Surface Interval - Vol. 4 No. 1

New Open Water Scuba Instructor Requirement

As of March 2009, all new PADI Instructors must also be current Emergency First Response Instructors or hold another current first aid and CPR instructor credential. Although first aid and CPR provider-level training is currently required, the new requirement stipulates that new instructors have instructor-level CPR and first aid skills.

Not only will PADI Instructors be better prepared to respond to emergencies, but they'll also be better able to offer all-inclusive PADI Rescue Diver and Divemaster courses. Additionally, this gives PADI Instructors another marketable skill - one that they can use to diversify their course offerings outside the dive industry.

Diverdaniel
01-15-2008, 09:57 AM
I strongly agree with Seasnake on both accounts.

DrBill
03-25-2008, 03:25 PM
Is there a certification agency that doesn't require the equivalent of Rescue Diver for DM's and instructors?

Diverdaniel
03-25-2008, 03:50 PM
I dont know of any agency.
but,

Diverdaniel
03-25-2008, 03:54 PM
I dont know of any agency.
but, its only logical that a dive leader would have rescue training.
i think it would be klind of stupid to send a dive leader out with any type of diver, be they OW or certified without knowing about how to rescue and the psychology of rescue and paniced divers.

I might be wrong though

thalassamania
03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Policies Applying to All Leadership & Instructor Courses

Prerequisites and Requirements:
Rescue Certification - At a minimum, Scuba Rescue Diver certification is required except for Skin Diving Instructor, for which a lifeguarding certification is adequate.
CPR & First Aid Certification - Current certification or verified competency in CPR and First Aid is required for registration. Certification training shall include one person adult CPR, infant/child CPR, two person CPR and the use of rescue breathing barrier devices, e.g. pocket maskŪ, face shield.

Alex777
03-31-2008, 01:20 AM
Really, I think anyone who puts himself forward as a potential leader of dives, DM / Instructor or not, should have a Rescue Cert. And reviewing the course from time to time is not a bad idea either.

Diverdaniel
04-02-2008, 06:48 AM
at the dive shop i worked for there was a diveleder rescue review every 2 months.
here, at he insttute that i work in we have bi-anual rescue reviews for the scientific divers.

Papa Bear
06-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Good police, always should be a requirement!