PDA

View Full Version : Rechargable Batteries

hbh2oguard
10-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Since it's now lobster season I'm going to be doing a lot of night dives. In the past I've used disposable batteries but I'm looking in to rechargable. It seems like my choices are NiMH or NiCd. NiMH seem like the better of the two but not really sure. Any suggestions?

The Publisher
10-04-2007, 04:59 AM
NiMH wins hands down.....if someone offered me free nicads, I'd turn them down.

Papa Bear
10-04-2007, 05:59 AM
With NiMH's charge them to max the night before and drain them the first two times you use them after that they will not develop a memory and should last a long time. They store well too!

acelockco
10-04-2007, 01:46 PM
Of course if you can find and afford them, Li-Ion batteries are the way to go. Unlike all of the other ones you mentioned, they are the only ones that do not form a memory. They also last about 3x as long (rechargeable about 1500x vs. about 500x for the others). The other thing about Li-Ion is that they work at just about full power until they are dead. This means your light will be just about as bright with fully charged batteries untill they are just about completely discharged.

The one thing to be careful with Li-Ion is not to leave them completely discharged. If you store them completely discharged, you may never be able to charge them again.

hbh2oguard
10-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Thank's for the advice, I was looking at the pick n save of tools, Harbor Freight, and they didn't have Li-Ion. So I'll do a little more searching to see the price differences.