PDA

View Full Version : The End of Split Fins?

Sarah
09-23-2007, 06:03 PM
According to the manufacturer, this device increases average speed by 150%.

Illutration by Translucent.de

Below are some videos of a similar device in use underwater:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ939OeXhNk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dTex4tj7iU

Papa Bear
09-23-2007, 08:15 PM
Seen this before years ago, but can't remember where? Better then Split fins thats for sure! This does not look to good for exploring as the poor reef or wreck. Interesting concept, but not sure how practical?

Finless
09-23-2007, 10:41 PM
It is a wind up, right?

If it works I suppose it could be useful for free divers? I'll stick with my split fins.

Anyway, at my age I don't think I could do that in the boudoir with a nymphomaniac attached let alone in the sea with a weight belt and 3 cylinders attached! :)

Tigerbeach
09-24-2007, 12:00 AM
A little too dorky looking and awkward.
I'll take my UDT's and a DPV instead!

Papa Bear
09-24-2007, 12:48 AM
It is a wind up, right?

If it works I suppose it could be useful for free divers? I'll stick with my split fins.

Anyway, at my age I don't think I could do that in the boudoir with a nymphomaniac attached let alone in the sea with a weight belt and 3 cylinders attached! :)

Oh no, another guy having trouble with cramping!

seasnake
09-24-2007, 03:45 PM
It'd be a B**** trying to climb the ladder back into the boat strapped to that thing ... :P

Daddy-h2O
10-29-2007, 08:43 PM
will it leave marks on your stomac?

lars2923
10-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Does it have Reverse? Can you go backwards?
Why? I don't know..... Just a thought...

Finless
10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Does it have Reverse? Can you go backwards?
Why? I don't know..... Just a thought...

Looking for a cheap colonic? :)

lars2923
10-30-2007, 01:04 PM
Looking for a cheap colonic? :)

Hey! You may have something there...

allisonfinch
02-02-2008, 02:39 AM
After 38 years in jet fins, I have finally put them on a high shelf. I much prefer my twin speed splits.:D

Papa Bear
02-02-2008, 04:35 AM
I could have told you that and I don't even have a Crystal Ball Just a Reed's Rod! ;) I think its a Caribbean Vs Caribbean thing! I guess the older you get you need to take it easy on the old legs! I would recommend splits for the infirm!

Diverdaniel
02-04-2008, 09:42 AM
interesting concept

DRW
03-30-2008, 11:01 AM
It's nothing more than an update of the "Aqueon", developed in the early 1970s. The Aqueon never really caught on, despite the testimonials of a few enthusiasts from that era. See:

http://www.innerspacethrusters.com/Aqueon.htm

Papa Bear
03-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Right out of the News: Jarred Flybottm set a new depth record this week in Grand Cayman. He contributed the use of split fins to his new record of 1278.5 FSW on the south side of the island. “If I would have known about these split fins earlier I would have made 1500ft by now” when asked why the rest of the Free-Diving sport has resisted using these propulsion miracles he responded “There just too afraid to go that deep” he also said that “the extra weight acted like a sled pushing him further than he expected” all the way to the new record.

In a related story cave divers who don’t want to be followed into their special cave are using split fins in greater numbers! “Who needs to see in a cave? It’s dark in those places anyway and there is nothing to see!”

Think I will get me a pair of them!

acelockco
03-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I am not sold on them. I still think it is a marketing thing. Now of course I would be willing to try some out so I could make an honest decision. Maybe I will borrow a pair for a dive sometime and give them a try.

Daddy-h2O
03-30-2008, 11:36 PM
I love my splits, cramps are at a min. I will state however in a good current they are lacking.

Ace, meet me at Dutch and I will let you try em....

acelockco
03-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Sounds like a plan. Now of course there is no current in Dutch....

Daddy-h2O
04-02-2008, 12:32 AM
How about I push you???

acelockco
04-02-2008, 12:53 AM
As long as my dry suit is zipped up!

I get a little worried when a man wants to push.....LOL

Papa Bear
04-02-2008, 01:32 AM
I found some really good rubber glue in case someone wants to glue their split-fins back together! It really works and then you get to use your fins and move forward at the same time! :D :rolleyes: ;)

acelockco
04-02-2008, 02:05 AM
Ha! That is too funny.

Daddy-h2O
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I found some really good rubber glue in case someone wants to glue their split-fins back together! It really works and then you get to use your fins and move forward at the same time! :D :rolleyes: ;)

Wow, that was hurtful...funny ...but hurtful...

Papa Bear
04-02-2008, 09:18 PM
I thought everyone likes them because they say they "Don't hurt!" ;) :p :D

Daddy-h2O
04-03-2008, 12:03 AM
I never been hit with one...:D

littleleemur
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
I could have told you that and I don't even have a Crystal Ball Just a Reed's Rod! ;) I think its a Caribbean Vs Caribbean thing! I guess the older you get you need to take it easy on the old legs! I would recommend splits for the infirm!

I wonder if they are covered in the same category as crutches & if my insurance would cover them? :p In that same vein, would a DPV also be covered under the same category as a scooter? lol

Are they really easier on the legs?

shinek
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I've got split fins and non-split (solid?) anyway, I find the split fins are easier on the legs, but as was implied earlier in the thread, they don't have the same power. I guess it depends on the diving you are doing and personal preference. See if you can borrow some and try them out.
I've seen some pretty fancy looking fins lately that look like they have little pistons in the blades. Can't remember the manufacturer, anyone used them, any reports? Just curious to know if they are an improvement in technology or just marketing.

Papa Bear
04-03-2008, 03:45 PM
I wonder if they are covered in the same category as crutches & if my insurance would cover them? :p In that same vein, would a DPV also be covered under the same category as a scooter? lol

Are they really easier on the legs?

They are, in that vain you could duct tape two fly swatters on your booties and they would be very easy on your legs! :p :D ;)

I own a pair of Oceanic Split-fins and use them with my Dry suit and they suck! No stability, trim, control, and try to hold up a 45lb camera in the vertical position! Give me a good blade anytime! Even better for swatting flies! They have no reason to exist other than to sell people a gimmick to take the place of good pool or water work! If you do 500 meters a day with your blades you will feel better and be in better shape as well as have better skills! Trade the split-fins for a gym membership!

acelockco
04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
From all I have been reading (from people that actually have used them), they seem to be better suited for the "lighter divers". They seem to work well for a lot of divers that are in warmer waters and require much less gear.

I know a few guys up here in the cold that say they really are not too good, just like Papa Bear said and for the same reasons. They just don't have the power that the traditional fins have to push a wreck diver wearing a dry suit and covered with wreck diving gear (that could include multiple lift bags, multiple reels and up lines, multiple cylinders, heavy hammers, chisels, crow-bars, multiple lights, and more).

I still like the old standard like the turtles, jet fins, or turbo-flex's. They are medium length, fairly stiff, and provide lots of power. That being said, I still have not tried the split fins yet. They might be just what I need for my travel diving?

RAWalker
04-07-2008, 07:41 AM
I'm a 200 lbs diver and recently tried a set of splits.
I was in San Carlos wearing 7mm wetsuit and using 34 lbs of lead.
After 10 minutes of kicking and feeling like I was hardly moving I decided that I much prefer my solids.

Diverdaniel
04-07-2008, 10:37 AM
hey :)

well, I have several types of fins: Mares Quaro's, Mares Volo, Vollo Power and XS Turtle fins.

i have dived splits, like the Vollo's and vollo powers, if you kick with force, they wont do much, and we, being used to get speed for our efforts, feel like we rent getting anywhere, with Quatro's and Turtle fins on the other hand, i feel i get much much more thrust andstability with.

in a pool, calm or currentless waters or snorkling, the splits and Vollo's are great fo me, dont even feel them on.... BUT..... when loaded up with tanks, teaching, fighting currents, i cant seem to get anywhere with them, same goes for the Scubapro Twinjets, didnt take with'em, god knows i tried :)

so, i prefer the bladed fins.
On the other hand, the head Diving officer at my place of work, has been a diving instructor and in dive business for over 35 years swears by them and wont even touch a bladed fin, he dives deco dives, MEG CCR dives with them and they are th best thing that has ever happend with fin tech in his eyes, so, go figure lol
to each his own in the end, right?

ove my Quatro's and Turtles :)

Daddy-h2O
04-08-2008, 01:08 AM
The point is prefrence. Splits work for me and I am happy with them, would buy another pair.

I dive my splits exclusively, and I like them. Stability is not an issue, and I have control. I dive dry and wet. I know if I get into a strong current I will have to work but I move. For what it is worth I go about 250. (I don't lug a camera though)

I have admitted that they are harder to use in a current. But they work for me, and I have no issue if they do not work for you. I do not think they are a gimmick. But it is also the type of diving I do that might lend themselves to me. As far as the gym comment - good advise wiether you use split or not. I relize I am out numbered but as I stated earlier I will be at Dutch Springs the weekend of May 17-18th, if you want to try 'em there....