PDA

View Full Version : Sony's New PMW-EX1 HD Solid State Compact Camcorder

The Publisher
09-21-2007, 04:40 AM
PMW-EX1 HD Solid State Compact Camcorder

Sony's has a video (http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10014/xdcamEX_index.shtml) on their new HDCam, and from the looks of it, it is smaller then the FX1/Z1

Below is their press release:

http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusiness/markets/10014/images/overview1.jpg

With its superb picture quality, state of the art media interface and interoperability, Sony brings the best HD workflow solution to the compact camcorder market.

Sony announces the latest addition to its XDCAM family of tapeless acquisition tools with the launch of the exciting new XDCAM EX™ compact camcorder. In addition to the existing XDCAM™ HD optical disc-based products, the new XDCAM EX camcorder, the PMW-EX1, offers all the benefits of tapeless workflow, selectable bit rates and outstanding picture performance that users have come to expect with XDCAM HD, coupled with new creative recording features and lens features which will redefine the standard for the professional compact camcorder market.

The PMW-EX1 is a highly compact, robust and high-performance camcorder that uniquely uses newly developed flash memory cards, the SxS PRO™, as its recording medium.

The SxS memory card, which realizes 800Mbps high-speed data transfer, enables non-linear capabilities such as instant random access and file-based operation. Equipped with two SxS memory card slots, the PMW-EX1 can record up to 100 minutes of the highest quality HD footage at 35Mbps or 140 minutes at 25Mbps using two 16-GB SxS memory cards.
The image sensor used in the PMW-EX1 camcorder is a newly developed three x 1/2 type Exmor™ CMOS sensor, each with an effective pixel count of 1920 x 1080, which produce images in full HD resolution. The low-light capabilities of this new sensor will be of particular interest to all those who need to be able to capture footage in limited lighting applications.

It is switchable between 1080i and 720P with multiple frame recording capability such as 50i, 59.94i, 50p, 59.94p and native 25P, 29.97p and 23.98P. What’s more, the PMW-EX1 camcorder offers a “Slow & Quick Motion” capability, which is also commonly known as “over-cranking” and “under-cranking” in the traditional film world, allowing users to create unique looks or special effects of slow and fast motion. Having these functions, PMW-EX1 is on the product line of Sony CINEALTA™.

A wide variety of accessories are also available to support effective HD production, including a SxS memory card, USB Reader/Writer, a wide-conversion lens, battery, and charger.

Further to this, in order to realize a more efficient, file based workflow solution, the following companies are planning to implement interoperability with XDCAM EX in their products below (alphabetical order):

Adobe Systems Incorporated (Adobe Premiere Pro with MainConcept MPEG Pro)
Apple Inc. (Final Cut Pro Studio)
Avid software (Avid Xpress Pro HD)
Dayang Technology Development Inc. (D3 Edit 3000 Series)
MainConcept AG (MPEG Pro HD 3.0)
Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd. (Matrox Axio & Matrox RT.X2)
MOG Solutions (Toboggan MediaTransfer)
Newauto Silicon Valley Video Techmology CO.,LTD. (Himaraya A1000/A1200/A1500 series)
Sobey Digital Technology Co., Ltd. (E7, E2000)
Sony Creative Software (Vegas™ Pro 8)
Thomson Grass Valley logo (Canopus Edius Pro)
Thomson (Grass Valley™ EDIUS™ Pro & Grass Valley EDIUS Broadcast)

seasnake
09-24-2007, 04:19 PM
Woooooooooooooooooooooww that's beautiful ... *drool*
What's the price tag on that little darlin' ?

The Publisher
09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
Sony said around $8000 USD, but we don't think it will be that high.

hd2o
09-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Nice competition for Panasonics HVX-200 and DVCPRO.
Notice it shoots XDCAM - HDV is about to be consumer-ized.
peace

freediver
11-08-2007, 03:01 PM
The Digital Journalist has a fairly in depth review (http://digitaljournalist.org/issue0711/camera-corner-the-sony-xd-cam-tapeless-camcorder.html) of the camera and it looks like this camera is the beginning of a new way to shoot and edit. It appears that this workflow is going to have a trickle down effect within the next two years that is going to change the way content is shot and edited.

I can't wait for this technology to become more affordable - along with quad core laptops.. ;).

DrBill
12-29-2007, 10:21 PM
I've been quite underimpressed with Sony's single sensor CMOS-based HD camcorders at least as far as underwater imaging is concerned. Perhaps a three chip version will do better, but I think I'll save my $8,000 for something else.

freediver
12-29-2007, 11:07 PM
I've been quite underimpressed with Sony's single sensor CMOS-based HD camcorders at least as far as underwater imaging is concerned. Perhaps a three chip version will do better, but I think I'll save my $8,000 for something else.
Robin Berg (http://www.beiproductions.com/home.htm) has stated he is VERY impressed specifically with the single chip SONY HC7 and is using it for actual broadcast production - and he shoots for The Outdoor Channel, ESPN, OLN and Discovery Channel.

He has stated to me personally via detailed email correspondence that the SONY HC7 shoots as well as the much larger Z1U and when properly setup and handled - is as broadcast capable as the Z1U. He can interchange footage in post between the HC7 and the Z1U and has said you have to look VERY hard to tell the difference.

Due to his detailed advice, I just made the jump to a pair of HC7's and will be taking delivery of my L&M Bluefin HC7 housing late next week.

lars2923
12-29-2007, 11:19 PM
The Publisher; PMW-EX1 HD Solid State Compact Camcorder

That thing has more buttons, knobs, and controls on it that a Singer...
Holy cow man...

freediver
12-30-2007, 12:25 AM
Too many people get wrapped up in the latest and greatest without utilizing the existing features on their current equipment.

I just transitioned over to HDV (which isn't HD as most people think) when the last couple of job inquiries asked me if I shot in High Def - I finally had to make the switch after losing out on those two projects.