PDA

View Full Version : Dive Boat - Not a DPV, or is it?

acelockco
09-19-2007, 04:17 AM
OK, I don't know if anyone here will be able to help me with this question, but I thought I would toss it out there just to get some input.

I am looking to purchase a new boat...... for diving of course. I am going to use it for other boating activities as well. Anyway this is what I am looking for, and anyone with any insight just jump in.

I want something as small as I can find that will allow at least 4 passangers, be useful as a dive boat, be trailerable, and able to go at least 10 miles offshore (NJ area mostly). Basically what is the smallest size boat I can go offshore in? I understand the size will limit the conditions I can go out in, so something for the nicer calmer days. Which boat is most useful as a dive boat for recreational wreck diving? Feel free to add anything that I am missing.

Tigerbeach
09-19-2007, 05:30 AM
Hey Ace,
Back in my Dive charter days we had a Boston Whaler. 24' twin 200 Mercs. Stand up bridge and open bow. She did everything we needed her to do in the raging Hawaiian currents; carried 6 divers and gear at work; even pulled me on waterskiis afterwards!
We had enough juice to run the channel over to Kauai or Molokai, too.
Unsinkable, great insurance rates for a charter boat.
I can't say enough about her.

Let me know what you end up doing, OK?

acelockco
09-19-2007, 04:47 PM
I will let you know. I am still in the process of shopping and looking at my options. I figure this is the time of year to do it as the boating season is near the end. I know there should be some good deals on leftover models as well as some used boats.

I have always loved Boston Whalers, but as I am sure you know they are very expensive compaired to similar boats. I know you get what you pay for though.

seasnake
09-21-2007, 02:22 AM
My friend and I dive out of a 14' inflatable. We have had four divers in it and if packed right it works great. Very stable, easy to climb in and out of. (as mentioned in another thread, we hang lanyards with ss clips over the side before we splash, and when you get back to the boat just clip your gear off before climbing in.)
I worked on a project last year where we had a 24' RHIB with twin 90's on the back. 6-8 divers with 5 tanks each no problem, and the same stability and ease of ingress/egress. And the thing would scoot, too!

rubber chicken
09-21-2007, 05:29 AM
In the UK, most club diving - and, one or two, commercial operations- use RHIB's. Fast, stable, capable of carrying up to 8 divers + kit and able to travel a fair way off shore - with the proper safety equipment, of course!;) -.
Their main disadvantage is the fact that you are totally exposed to the elements, but in appropriate diving apparel, this is not a major issue. Many UK dive clubs operate all year round in almost all conditions and sea states.

Here in Australia, recreational boating is a big thing, and 5-6m half-cabin or central console aluminium cruisers, or "Tinnies" are very popular.
A boat is on my own -far future- shopping list. At a local boat show last year, I came within a whisker of buying a brand new 6m half cabin cruiser with 250 Mercury outboard, GPS, VHF, all the safety gear and trailer. I was actually sat, pen in hand, with all the paperwork spread out in front of me, the salesman nodding encouragingly when the insistent voice of my conscience broke through my reverie and shouted.
"What the Hell are you doing? ! You haven't got $50,000!".
Thankfully, I listened or my wife would have killed me!:D

amtrosie
09-21-2007, 03:29 PM
OK, I don't know if anyone here will be able to help me with this question, but I thought I would toss it out there just to get some input.

I am looking to purchase a new boat...... for diving of course. I am going to use it for other boating activities as well. Anyway this is what I am looking for, and anyone with any insight just jump in.

I want something as small as I can find that will allow at least 4 passangers, be useful as a dive boat, be trailerable, and able to go at least 10 miles offshore (NJ area mostly). Basically what is the smallest size boat I can go offshore in? I understand the size will limit the conditions I can go out in, so something for the nicer calmer days. Which boat is most useful as a dive boat for recreational wreck diving? Feel free to add anything that I am missing.

Ace,

Having dove off of Jersey, and seen the weather/conditions change quickly, I am wondering about the wisdom of finding the "smallest" boat. A boat should be bought for the worst conditions to be faced, not the calmest. That isn't to say that 110' yacht is required, but neither would I go for a 14' open style boat either.

just my 2 psi.

acelockco
09-21-2007, 10:19 PM
I agree with you 100%

What I was meaning is the smallest boat that would be recommended. I was thinking about a 21 footer though.

I am looking at a 25 foot Welcraft walkaround cabin, but I know my car can not tow that kind of weight. The other option is to dock it somewhere, but that is another expense.

Then I started thinking about the RHIB boats, and I bet a 19 footer with twin outboards might be an answer. I know my car could tow one of those, and they seem to be able to handle all kinds of nasty waters. It is just hard to throw down that kind of cash on an inflatable boat as they are just about the same price as a traditional boat of similar size.

seasnake
09-24-2007, 04:10 PM
The rigid hulls are very durable.

We almost always assemble gear and dress in exposure suits before leaving the wharf.

hbh2oguard
10-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Ace you have one more option, get the boat and a bigger car to tow it with:D But I have a 13ft RIB that works great for two divers, diving pretty close to shore. I went the eco friendly way and got a 4 stroke which weighs the same as the boat so it doesn't go as fast as I hoped but it gets me there. RIB's are pratically unsinkable too just like a whaler because mine is foam filled on top of the tubes.

acelockco
10-04-2007, 01:42 PM
Do you mean that instead of air in the tubes, there is foam?

What brand and model RIB do you have?

As far as the bigger boat, that will be done eventually. I would like to start out with something smaller to begin with and work my way up.

At this point with winter on it's way, I am going to do the boat show thing to check out what is out there.

hbh2oguard
10-04-2007, 08:30 PM
No just the hull is foam filled, tubes take air. I know the Coast Guard has foam filled bullet proof tubes on their RIBs. So you might want to look for a government auction.

acelockco
05-13-2008, 06:08 PM
OK, I did it! I finally bought a boat. It is not what I was initially looking for, but once you head to the marina the sticker shock sets you back into your seat....WAY BACK!

So the boat I bought is smaller than I wanted and won't go far offshore, but it is a major upgrade from my canoe with it's 3hp engine! I seriously doubt I will even dive offshore NJ with it, as has been stated before the conditions there can get pretty nasty, but time with the boat will tell. There are still a lot of inshore and near shore dive sites that I will be able to get to with ease. I really bought the boat for general recreation though so I will get my use out of it diving or not.

Anyway, now I need to come up with a name for the boat. I thought we had a post about this before but I could not find it. Any help finding that thread would be great. So, now I am going to ask for your help in naming our new boat. I really would like to have a dive related name, but am open to suggestions.

Of course everyone here is welcome to go out on the boat with us anytime you are in the area.

hbh2oguard
05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
well do you have a pic? Show off your new pride and joy.....untill you figure out it a money pit. Needless to say if anyone else is looking for a boat I have one for sale, 13ft RIB. I don't remember anything about boat names and I'm not too good with them...sorry:)

hbh2oguard
05-13-2008, 07:10 PM
here's some help
http://www.coolboatnames.com/funny-boat-names.html

acelockco
05-13-2008, 11:27 PM
well do you have a pic? Show off your new pride and joy.....untill you figure out it a money pit. Needless to say if anyone else is looking for a boat I have one for sale, 13ft RIB. I don't remember anything about boat names and I'm not too good with them...sorry:)

If you have one for sale, you should post it here. I would have loved a RIB, but I also don't remember how far away you are, but I bought mine in my own state.

I will post some photos as soon as we pick it up. We are waiting for the bank transfer and for the boat to be prepped for us. Hopefully this Saturday will be the day. I also still need to wire the tow vehicle and install the hitch before we pick it up.

Oh, I am aware of the fact that boats are money pits, but what else is new? Everything I get involved is a money pit. I hope it isn't too bad, but that is why I bought a small boat. Small boat, smaller expenses.

hbh2oguard
05-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Oh, I am aware of the fact that boats are money pits, but what else is new? Everything I get involved is a money pit. I hope it isn't too bad, but that is why I bought a small boat. Small boat, smaller expenses.

Yea pretty true. I'm far away in CA so it wouldn't be worth it. The only reason I'm selling it is because I got a little bit bigger whaler but it needs to be repowered. I guess I'll post it on here.

seasnake
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Looking forward to seeing pictures of the boat Ace. Congrats! Yeh, what isn't a money pit of scuba isn't? hello! :)

acelockco
05-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Thanks Seasnake.

I thought of a great name "Ace Hole" , but my wife did not seem to like it very much. She wants something to do with sharks, as she is into saving the sharks.

Any ideas would be great, just toss them out there. I really want to hear something from everyone here with this one.

thalassamania
05-14-2008, 07:05 PM
For 10 miles off shore the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM I'd consider is a 17 ft Zodiac with small twin outboards. A RIB is a better bet, but as you get into the 20 foot range a pure inflatable with a center console and medium size twins can become an attractive package.

hbh2oguard
05-14-2008, 10:54 PM
A RIB is a better bet, but as you get into the 20 foot range a pure inflatable with a center console and medium size twins can become an attractive package.

yea and a very attractive price:)

acelockco
05-15-2008, 12:33 AM
For 10 miles off shore the ABSOLUTE MINIMUM I'd consider is a 17 ft Zodiac with small twin outboards. A RIB is a better bet, but as you get into the 20 foot range a pure inflatable with a center console and medium size twins can become an attractive package.

I figured that out already, and decided 10 miles offshore is not in my price range. I opted to get the family fun boat that will go to the near shore dive sites and provide a lot of general boating fun. For the cost, it just makes sense to pay the charter for those long trips.

Mountain Dog
05-15-2008, 01:20 AM
I thought of a great name "Ace Hole" , but my wife did not seem to like it very much.

Ace-

You made me laugh my ace off with that one! You are a sick dude. I like that.

Sharks, huh? How about "Hammered Head". That seems to fit. Or if you want to keep them guessing, "Selachimorpha".

Mountain Dog

thalassamania
05-15-2008, 02:45 AM
My decision about the whole boat thing is to put three-quarters of the money I used to spend on the boat in a year into a bank account and then rent a boat whenever I want one. You know what? There's always money left over at the end of the year.

acelockco
05-15-2008, 05:54 AM
My decision about the whole boat thing is to put three-quarters of the money I used to spend on the boat in a year into a bank account and then rent a boat whenever I want one. You know what? There's always money left over at the end of the year.

LOL, That sounds about right, BUT.... Now that I have already paid for it, I will use it a lot. If I had to rent, I would most likely not go out often if at all. I don't know how much they charge for boat rentals where you live, but to rent a boat similar to the one I bought is $375/day plus fuel. Each day is like a monthly boat payment, so 12 times per year and you own the boat. Plus you can't sell a rental boat after you decide you no longer want it. Of course there are other costs involved, but my payment is not going to be nearly that much.

thalassamania
05-15-2008, 07:10 PM
LOL, That sounds about right, BUT.... Now that I have already paid for it, I will use it a lot. If I had to rent, I would most likely not go out often if at all. I don't know how much they charge for boat rentals where you live, but to rent a boat similar to the one I bought is $375/day plus fuel. Each day is like a monthly boat payment, so 12 times per year and you own the boat. Plus you can't sell a rental boat after you decide you no longer want it. Of course there are other costs involved, but my payment is not going to be nearly that much.I hope you enjoy it and it helps you to do enough diving to make the equation work in your favor.

acelockco
05-15-2008, 10:35 PM
I hope you enjoy it and it helps you to do enough diving to make the equation work in your favor.

Thanks, even if the equation does not work in my favor I am sure it will be a blast. I know my friends (who don't own or pay for a boat) will love it. Isn't that always the case though?

thalassamania
05-15-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks, even if the equation does not work in my favor I am sure it will be a blast. I know my friends (who don't own or pay for a boat) will love it. Isn't that always the case though?Freeloading on the freeboard is a rather different equation.

acelockco
05-16-2008, 01:35 AM
I have always had boats in the family growing up, and I know that should ALWAYS be part of the equation. Funny how non boat owners can't even fathom the cost of fuel. They just think it uses fuel like a little motorcycle or something. Then again before I thought about a dry suit I would have never believed they were as expensive as they are....guess what?!

I just finished mounting the trailer hitch on the tow vehicle today, tomorrow I will do the electrical harness. Hopefully I will be out on the water before the weekend is out!

seasnake
05-16-2008, 08:09 PM
But where are the pictures!!!???

acelockco
05-16-2008, 10:16 PM
But where are the pictures!!!???

I have to go and pick the new boat up before I can take and post pictures. I am supposed to go this weekend, but I was just informed that the boat might take another day or two to finish prepping. I really wanted it this weekend, but it is raining anyway, so no worries I guess.

Names people, Names.

amtrosie
05-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Names people, Names.

Hang Time.

seasnake
05-18-2008, 01:27 AM
I guess I need to see the boat to be inspired ... :D

acelockco
05-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Hang Time.

Thanks, I like that one, it will go on the list!

acelockco
05-18-2008, 02:04 PM
I guess I need to see the boat to be inspired ... :D

OK, here is a photo to help you. I will have more soon.

hbh2oguard
05-18-2008, 07:42 PM
very nice, with that outboard hanging off I'd get a transom saver if you don't already have one. Since your a lock guy, you can even get one with a lock on it for your prop.

acelockco
05-19-2008, 06:44 AM
That is sure to be one of my first purchases as I plan on taking it on the road quite a bit. I have a list already, some fun items and some necessary items.

List:

Tool Kit
Spare Prop
Emergency Kit (flares, etc.)
First Aid Kit
Emergency Spill Kit (fuel, oil, etc)
Marine Radio (VHF)
Marine Stereo (Music)
Tube, Wakeboard, tow ropes.
transom saver
wheel bearing protectors
different anchor and rode
better gps

BUT NO NAME YET :(

Now I have to find some places to dive that my boat might be able to get to safely.

seasnake
05-19-2008, 02:17 PM
How about "Leave A Message After The Beep" ... too long?
"Surface Support"
"Ace in the Hole" (that'd be great if you could take it cave diving ...)
"Tank Carrier"

And you need a slalom ski and tow rope for the boat! :)

aerospot
05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Nice Boat Ace !!

Let's go Skiing! :D

acelockco
05-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Anytime you are in the area!

I love to play hookey!

hbh2oguard
06-26-2008, 06:29 AM
don't know if you already have a name but I saw a good diving one tonight while watching CSI.... it was "Second Stage"

acelockco
06-27-2008, 01:58 AM
No name yet, I still have not found something that I LOVE.

I will just keep her un-named until I find a really great name.

shinek
06-27-2008, 06:28 PM
A few suggestions;

"Decompressor"
"This Side Up!"
"Bottom Time"
"The Incredible Hull"
"Kid's College Fund"

BOAT: Definition. A hole in the water that you throw money into!

acelockco
06-28-2008, 03:53 AM
All are on the list, except Kids College Fund, as I don't have or expect to have any children any time soon if ever.

NITROHOWARD
06-28-2008, 05:25 PM
SS Minnow?

acelockco
06-29-2008, 03:45 PM
OK, it is on the list.

Thanks