PDA

View Full Version : What about watches?

Andy
09-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi all

This section says it covers watches, but there's no mention; have they been outdated by computers, or can you still run a basic dive with one?

If anyone uses a watch without a computer,are there any models to avoid?

Thanks

rubber chicken
09-17-2007, 01:20 AM
Andy, I dive with both a computer and a watch. In the event of your computer going mammaries uppermost, then you can use a watch in conjunction with an independent depth gauge and your tables to carry on the dive or at least ascend safely. This has never happened to me ,(yet :) ), but I tend towards the principal of 'better to have it and not need it than the other way round'.

As far as the various models etc, all I can say is ignore anything that is rated for less than 200m. The ones that say 50m will leak in the shower, 100m ones are ok for snorkelling but little else.
Doubtless, somebody else will be along in a minute with much better information.

Dive safe.

acelockco
09-17-2007, 02:34 AM
I am glad you started this thread. I have been looking for a new watch for diving, but want to be able to wear it as a regular watch.

I have looked at the Luminox watches and the St. Mortiz watches, but I am really not sure. I just don't want anything digital, and I want to be able to put on a velcro/nylon type band.

Anyone have any word on a reasonable priced dive watch that they actually have or had? I have a Rolly, and it is definatley made for the task, but I still would not wear it diving. I can't imagine loosing that!

fooddude
09-17-2007, 01:29 PM
Ace,

I don't use a computer yet; I was going to post a question about the new Suunto D9. Do you or anyone elso out there have infor, good or bad?

About your question. I use my Citizen Ecodrive watch (titanium bracelet). It is rated for 20 BAR, has not leaked yet. I bang the darn thing on everything topside, play football, ski, surf, etc., and nothing. Not a scratch anywhere except the bottom of the clasp. Never had to set or adjust it except for DST, but other than that, accurate to the minute all year when comparing to my atomic clock at home. I use to when I go diving in conjunction with my gague cluster and tables. Like I said, looking to move into the 21st century with a computer.

I love my watch. My wife wants me to switch off and wear my Movado or others for a change, but I love this thing. It looks great, works great, and is durable for my active lifestyle.

Hope I helped. Here is a link to the one I have... actually, they don't make it anymore. It's 9 years old, looks like it came out of the box last month. It's actually the reason I held off buying a dive computer so long.

acelockco
09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
I did not see the link, but I think I know the watch. It is a pricy little bugger too.

As far as the D(, I don't know much about it. I use a computer myself and would never go back to tables unless I had to for some reason. I just want a watch, because I want a new watch.

seasnake
09-17-2007, 03:52 PM
I use a Timex Ironman rated to 200m available at Wal-Mart for about $30.

acelockco
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Yea' I thought about going that route, of course it would be no worries about loosing it or breaking it. I wanted something with a little more style (the style I like). Something that resembles a divers watch. You know the type with traditional hands and the rotating bezel with the number markings on it.

BamaCaveDiver
09-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I have been really happy with my Citizen HyperAqualand, but don't dive it much these days (I think the other half has laid claim to it now that she is certified.) If you go this route be sure to change over to something like the Waterbourne band to reduce the risk of loosing it at depth due to a broken pin. The only negative aspect of the Citizen line is the crystals take scratches really easy and are expensive to get replaced; use a bit of self-laminating film over the crystal and replace as necessary. There are a number of computers out today that are the size of a dive watch and can be worn as a watch when you are back in your bipedal mode. When diving I typically just use my Nitek 3 backed up by a bottom timer with tables.

brunoncyryl
11-25-2009, 03:45 AM
Hi all, Watch is like as one friend.. It feel me space of vacancy of friend. I can be perfectionist in my time session and work due to watch. While i have no watch, that day i get late and trouble lots of without it..

acelockco
11-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi all, Watch is like as one friend.. It feel me space of vacancy of friend. I can be perfectionist in my time session and work due to watch. While i have no watch, that day i get late and trouble lots of without it..

You have me a bit confused, maybe it is the language barrier, but I am really lost here.

fooddude
01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Came across this site. Here are 2 watches that won't break the bank, are functional, and look good as well. Waiting for mine after seeing a friend with the C6 Kingfisher.

Thing is a beauty.

Good luck,

FD

http://www.christopherward-usa.com/men/dive/c600.html

The Publisher
01-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Nice looking watches.....

fooddude
01-20-2010, 03:47 PM
They are, at least I can speak on the C6 Kingfisher in silver with blue dial. Well finished, nice weight... not too heavy, not too light, nice size. My friend loves his, and it seems durable so far for NE USA diving. We regularly go to ~100-130', and no problems. They glow really brightly in the dark, low vis waters here off Long Island.

Can't wait for mine, should be here this week.

FD

The Publisher
01-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Till you get yours, I thought I would tease you, lol