PDA

View Full Version : Knife advice

Andy
09-16-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi members, what are yout thoughts on knife brands and where they should be; I see a lot of divers with then strapped to the leg, yet heard they are better on your BCD nearer to grab when needed.

Also what about the scissor type you can get?

Thanks

rubber chicken
09-17-2007, 01:30 AM
Andy,
I've got a little, chisel pointed Tusa knife that sits on my LP hose where I can reach it with either hand. I've also got a set of EMT shears on a bungee in my pocket.

I personally believe that those divers who carry enormous great 'katanas' strapped to their legs are probably compensating for something!:eek: IMHO 99% of the time, the only thing that you will need a knife for is to cut yourself or your buddy free from fishing line etc. A small, sharp blade that can be reached with either hand is all you need.

Of course, if attacks by underwater ninjas are a big problem in your area then by all means get a Marine/SEAL/Special Forces blade and impress them all on the dive boat when you theatrically whip it out to cut the crusts off your surface interval sandwiches!:D

Dive Safe.

acelockco
09-17-2007, 02:28 AM
I have to agree. When I was just (a little) boy I had to compensate, so I had a huge knife on the inside of my leg on every dive. Now that I am older and bigger, I have a knife that I can really use while diving. My knife of choice is made by OMS. It is small enough to be comfortable, but large enough to be useful, and able to be used with or without dive gloves on. I have it straped to my harness where it can always be reached. It has a flat blunt tip, so you can use it as a mini pry bar if you need, plus you won't poke yourself. I also have a small pointed backup knife I keep in my pocket just in case I need it.

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO

fooddude
09-17-2007, 01:46 PM
I agree with what Ace Rubber Chicken said. I keep a titanium (I like it for durability and anti-corrosive properties) knife on the inside of my calf out of the way, and a small titanium knife on my bc strap. The calf kife is blunt tip for prying, etc because it's bigger and gives me more leverage, and the bc knife is pointed. Some feel it should be the other way around; blunt on the bc so you don't poke yourself, but I have it in such a way that I need to be completely narced to do it (hasn't happened yet, and god willing, it will never happen).

Also to consider are your intended uses. Other can speak to this better than I can, I'm sure, but material choice is big too. Different stainless numbers have durability, sharpness edge holding properties, weight, corrosive resistance, etc. To me, sharpness is not so important. I keep mine super sharp as I have access to professional sharpening in my kitchen (remember, I'm the fooddude). Also, as long as a knife is reasonably sharp, it will cut you free of most line and monofilament I come in contact with.

I now carry shears as well in case I have limited "sawing" movement in tight places, I can just snip! I take a case of EMT/Surgical shears from the hospital and use them as disposables throughout the diving year. I bring many extras on boats for others in case someone is missing one or it's rusted and not functioning properly. We all need to look out for others, especially since we may need their hep down below.

Good luck, and remember... it's a kinfe. Not a major investment. If you but it and don't like it, it becomes a spare!

seasnake
09-17-2007, 03:59 PM
Although you want good quality, don't spend a million bucks on it either. Because you will lose it eventually . . . :)

BamaCaveDiver
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
I prefer small and sharp, and as snake alluded to, cheap (yep, i have lost a few over the years.) I keep a small z-knife attached to the harness webbing on my right shoulder, as well as a small folding lock blade knife (Gerber River Runner) on my left waist belt (I like them on opposite sides and locations to ensure that I can always reach one of them.) I do have a BA dive knife from my specops days, but all it ever gets used for these days is to make and/or pund tent stakes into the ground. Whenever I venture out on a wreck (or just going out spear fishing) I will usually put a pair of shears (must be strong enough to cut through steel leaders) in my pocket.

Carp_dm
09-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Small blunt knife & a set of shears on opposite sides of the waistband for this boy.

Tigerbeach
09-18-2007, 04:57 PM
Never did the Rambo thing u/w.
I use a small, razor sharp, double edged knife (like the old Tekna), always, and attached it to the web belt of my Scubapro vest.
I like the idea of clippers or shears.

Andy
09-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Thanks to the responding, I see a clear theme here, there is a machismo element present in the size and bigger and more expensive doesn't necessarily make better!

Quero
09-19-2007, 04:39 AM
I also have two cutting devices, and since I'm not a guy don't have any 'compensation' issues, so they have been selected in terms of their practicality. My knife (a titanium blade) is attached to my LP hose; my shears (which I will always prefer unless I need a very sharp, serrated blade) are in my cumberbund zip pocket. You don't have to pay a lot for cutting devices, and I bought relatively cheap shears, but I'll end up getting new ones soon because although the blades themselves are non-rust, for some incomprehensible reason the attachment bolt is beginning to rust! So do try to get cutting devices that are rust-resistant.

littleleemur
12-15-2007, 06:07 PM
There is a certain DS in Hong Kong whose claim to fame is their large selection of Rambo Knives, spearguns and BCs with so many metal D rings they could be easily mistaken as display racks.

Apparently, the rationale is: you need the big knife to cut up the huge fish you just killed with your Shamu-sized speargun to BBQ it over an open flame on the beach - survivor style :eek:

Anyone who knows HK waters can see the humour in this as:
1) Hong Kong has a silty bottom so there isn't much down there.
2) Most accessible HK beaches are too polluted -- both the water and the beaches. So what's fueling the BBQ? Dirty grocery bags?
3) With a spear that size, there wouldn't be any fish left.
4) If there was anything left, that knife would certainly take care of it.

:rolleyes:

To answer the question: I carry 2 cutting tools. One straped to my middle and another on the shoulder strap of the opposit side.

scuba smurf
12-17-2007, 02:15 PM
small knife with a serated edge kept sharp with a blunt tip. a sheathe can easily be made using a bit of webbing and use a piece of inner tube tohelp keep it in place. Stored in the waist band to the left of the buckle where it's easily accessible with either hand. I agree with seasnake too that you don't want to spend a fortune on a knife, you will eventually lose it. Just my .02.

seasnake
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
you will eventually lose it.

Or break it .... :)

scorpio5031
02-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree with you guys, but in a high stress situation, re-holstering the knife on your BC or High Pressure Hose might cause a liiiiitle problem when you hear that "PSSSSSSSSSSSS" sound.

rubber chicken
02-04-2008, 08:00 AM
I agree with you guys, but in a high stress situation, re-holstering the knife on your BC or High Pressure Hose might cause a liiiiitle problem when you hear that "PSSSSSSSSSSSS" sound.

As opposed to stabbing yourself in the leg ???:eek: :D

Diverdaniel
02-04-2008, 09:31 AM
regular cheep SS steak knife with riveted handle shortend filed down blade in a webbing sheath held together with small cableties. on harness band+ sheers in hip pocket+ SS parrot tipped shears w/ss bolt snap in other hip pocket.

edit: have used any of them on different occations.
depending on the work during the dive.
oh, and Z-knife sewn on to the back hand of my glove.
dont take them ALL out on every dive.
t least 2 cutting devices

seasnake
02-04-2008, 02:05 PM
I think the steak knife idea is pretty nifty and definitely inexpensive, but I watched one fail on a first attempt to use it underwater. You can get dive knives so cheap now, I decided to pay the few bucks more.

scorpio5031
02-05-2008, 01:49 AM
As opposed to stabbing yourself in the leg ???:eek: :D

I would think the nerves in your leg would tell you that you are doing something wrong before you filet yourself. As apposed to not knowing that you have poked your BC or high pressure hose until its too late.

Hmmmmmm. Something to ponder.

littleleemur
02-05-2008, 02:34 AM
How about grinding the tip into a "chisel" tip? In addition, the chisel tip can be used to easily open cans of beer or scaring the gullible into beleiving that the "chisel" was created by frequent use in prying the teeth out of a Great White :D

hbh2oguard
02-05-2008, 09:38 PM
I would think the nerves in your leg would tell you that you are doing something wrong before you filet yourself. As apposed to not knowing that you have poked your BC or high pressure hose until its too late.

Hmmmmmm. Something to ponder.

Well I guess you don't have that problem diving in a 7mm. Huh is that maybe one advantage of cold water diving:confused: It would take a lot of work on your behalf to filet yourself. It's not that hard to just look at what you are doing with your knife now is it?

littleleemur
02-07-2008, 03:47 AM
Thanks to the responding, I see a clear theme here, there is a machismo element present in the size and bigger and more expensive doesn't necessarily make better!

Not just for guys, for girls too. Apparently there are more than a few Halle- Berry-Bond-Girl wannabes/fashionistas sporting that techie knife slung low across their bikini bottoms. :D

scorpio5031
02-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Well I guess you don't have that problem diving in a 7mm. Huh is that maybe one advantage of cold water diving:confused: It would take a lot of work on your behalf to filet yourself. It's not that hard to just look at what you are doing with your knife now is it?

I guess you were so busy thinking of a smart come back for a comment directed at someone else that you missed the part about the high stress situation. Your heart rate goes up. You loose control of your fine motor skills, you tend to fumble, and you tend to get tunnel vision. Oh, and check your math.