PDA

View Full Version : Getting into the rythm

Andy
09-12-2007, 10:13 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion how to get into a good finning rythm? I mean once you have descended, equalised, fin pivoted, got your breathing steady and got your bearings? Or will it come with experience?

THanks all

Andy

The Publisher
09-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Andy,

Don't even worry about your finning technique, or lack thereof.

Just worry about having a safe, good time. EVERYTHING ELSE will all come in due time.

Personally, once I descended, I would just stop at the bottom, not go anywhere at first, take stock of all my gear, and depth, remaining air supply, bearings, etc....get relaxed, adjust my bouyancy as needed, then figure out which way might be the most interesting....and head there, with no particular rush.

lottie
09-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Andy, just take it nice and easy.
Like the 'pub' said, everything else will come in due course.

after 17 dives myself, i'm still trying to get used to finding my own balance of the best way to deal with my buoyancy, balance, fins, arms, breathing and all the other stuff you have to think about when diving.

patience is a virtue :)

Papa Bear
09-13-2007, 01:09 AM
The really cool thing about diving is every dive is different! If you had a task to search then you could consider a cadence or you were navigating and needed a kick count! Otherwise take the time to check it all out including all the nooks and crannies! Too many people pass by all the good stuff looking for it! Kicking is just a way to get from point A to point B, and maybe everything you want to see is at A?

rubber chicken
09-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I agree with the pub and Lottie, don't worry about it, it'll come with time.
However, unless I've got somewhere to go in a hurry, I tend to ,(using frogkicks), kick and glide. If flutter kicking, I go for a strong, slow beat roughly equivalant to the sort of pace you'd use idling around a department store while your wife shops. :D

seasnake
09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Yeh, whatever kick you use, it is good to make sure your technique is sound to be efficient and avoid problems like leg cramps.

But I echo the comments about don't rush. When I am just on a look around and enjoy it dive, I might give a little frog kick once every 10 or 20 seconds, if that. I hate rushing when I'm diving! :)

Andy
09-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Thanks for all the above replies, seasnake I appreciate what you suggest, as I was frog kicking some and was the only one in our party of four who didn't feel cramp.