PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone

quinn2187
09-09-2007, 04:55 PM
hi. i'm new to this site and to diving. i just recently took it up and it is amazing. i'm 33 from toledo, ohio. we have a lot of quarries to dive in around here. i am looking forward to getting in more dives/experience. i got into diving by myself and found out its kind of hard to find people to dive with. i'm hoping i'll meet some other people on here and maybe hook up for a trip or two, and learn a few things from you seasoned divers. well hope to talk with you all soon, mike.

acelockco
09-09-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey Mike,

Glad to see you found us and diving. I dive in a few quarries a lot like you. I also do a bunch of diving in other places, but considering where I live (Eastern PA) quarries are everywhere.

If you would like to check out Willow Springs Quarry, in Richland PA, let me know and I will give you the underwater grand tour.

Ace

BamaCaveDiver
09-09-2007, 08:39 PM
I'm not that far south from you Mike, just across the river from Cincy. It has been hard to get excited about the quarries up here for me, but with the other half doing her OW check out dives next weekend that will hopefully be changing. We will be at Blue Springs in Waldron, IN next weekend.

acelockco
09-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Bama,

Good to see you got your partner to try scuba. It is always much better when you can share something like that.

I understand your lack of intrest in the quarry, I feel the same way, but then I start to think this is better than not diving.

Ace

BamaCaveDiver
09-09-2007, 11:22 PM
Bama,

Good to see you got your partner to try scuba. It is always much better when you can share something like that.

I understand your lack of intrest in the quarry, I feel the same way, but then I start to think this is better than not diving.

Ace

To be honest ace, I would rather crawl through a 40 degree sump with no vis than swim in a 70 degree quarry. They are great for practicing skills, just hard to get excited about going and seeing all the man-made trash that was dumped in as dive features. I let Karen set her own pace on doing vertical caving with me as well as diving. She has her sights set on cave diving, and I suspect she will be joining me down in Fl sometime next year. She had her hobbies in the past that allowed her something to do during the 4+ hours I would usually be under and decompressing, but it will be fun to have her see some of my favorite sites at long last. Now to just heal from this blasted surgery so I can move about again.

aerospot
09-10-2007, 10:57 AM
hi. i'm new to this site and to diving. i just recently took it up and it is amazing. i'm 33 from toledo, ohio. we have a lot of quarries to dive in around here. i am looking forward to getting in more dives/experience. i got into diving by myself and found out its kind of hard to find people to dive with. i'm hoping i'll meet some other people on here and maybe hook up for a trip or two, and learn a few things from you seasoned divers. well hope to talk with you all soon, mike.

Hi Mike. Welcome aboard!!
I've just earned my OW and am working on AOW now.
We live in Erie Pa and frequently drive to South Bend Indiana to see Folks. I've always wanted to take time and travel route 2 west from Cleveland. Over the Labor Day weekend we did just that. We stopped in Port Clinton and rode Miller Ferry over to South Bass Island. From there we rented a golf cart and drove past the airport to Put-In-Bay. What a Hoot!! It's a shame we only had a couple of hours to burn. Were making plans to return this fall before weather closes in and spend some more time.
I couldnt help but wonder what underwater sites are around the Erie Islands. It would be nice if we could hook up and explore some next year... :)
Dave

aerospot
09-10-2007, 12:26 PM
4+ hours I would usually be under and decompressing,

4+ hrs decompressing ?!?
I'd rather dive in a 70 degree quarry.... :)

BamaCaveDiver
09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
4+ hrs decompressing ?!?
I'd rather dive in a 70 degree quarry.... :)

Much more to see in a 70 degree cavern though :p I have back, hip, and knee problems, so getting into and out of the water are my greatest hurdles. Thus rather than doing 2-3 dives per day I usually opt for one long dive, and my average including deco tends to run around 3-4 hours. You would be surprised at just how fast an hour of deco can go by when you have crayfish the size of lobsters come out and challenge you for your favorite deco spot in the cavern.