PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Think of This Photo?

The Publisher
09-04-2007, 02:26 AM
While traveling through the Jakarta Airport I saw this retail store right within the airport.

I walked through it and noticed most the of the products were dried marine animals.

But what I did notice were the numerous displays of really large shark fins dried and wrapped in clear thin plastic. Most of these dried fins were HUGE and had to come from really large sharks.

I wanted to ask viewers what they think of this:

Do people have the moral right to be outraged by this? Are Westerners imposing our set of moral values on a different culture that doesn't see things the same way? Is this just wrong on every conceivable level? Do poor fisherman have the right to harvest these sharks because it is the only way they can feed their hungry families and without such income they would go hungry?

Your respectful opinions are welcome in this discussion.

rubber chicken
09-04-2007, 06:05 AM
Is this really an example of different cultural beliefs though? In an airport this is marketed for and aimed at the well heeled air traveller, a subset of the worlds population that, IMHO, tends to share much the same cultural interests and mores.
Another question is, IF you express concern for the economic wellbeing of the indigenous fishermen etc should you not actively seek out this sort of establishment in order to support said fisherfolk ?
Personally, I am morally disgusted, (not outraged, that would imply an element of suprise and i'm far too cynical for that), that a market exists for this sort of product.

As to the percieved imposition of 'western' values on other societies, what about slavery, child prostitution, mistreatment of women, cannabilism, concepts of personal property etc ?, all of which have, or had acceptance amongst 'other' value systems. Is it 'moral imperialism' or simply recognition that we are all citizens of a small blue planet midway along an outer spiral arm of an unfashionable area of the galaxy?

Please note: I believe passionately, that 'western values' are not the absolute acme of possible ethical behaviour. There is a great deal that can be taken from other moral viewpoints that is far superior to our own. Such as societal treatment of the elderly and vulnerable, crime and restitution, areas of mutual aid and cooperation etc. But are these areas suitable for a discussion on a diving forum ?

Sarah
09-04-2007, 07:09 AM
All excellent, well reasoned points, RC, but let us not leave out mistreatment of males.

rubber chicken
09-04-2007, 07:31 AM
All excellent, well reasoned points, RC, but let us not leave out mistreatment of males.

Indeed! Some of us pay good for money for that!:D

Quero
09-05-2007, 03:22 AM
Thank you RubberChicken for your clear and reasonable views. I have lived in Asia now for 7 years, and as I am also part of a Chinese family (yes, there was shark fin soup at my wedding as I was ignorant of the issues at the time), the cultural implications are something I've thought about and discussed at length with family and Chinese friends. When these well-meaning people point out that serving shark fin soup at celebration banquets and dinners is a cultural tradition and that all cultures should honor and uphold their traditions, I ask whether they would, then, like to reinstate the tradition of foot binding. This usually brings the discussion to lines involving cultural progress versus unsustainable traditions rather than west versus east.

Essentially, it's a matter of education and younger generations moving away from the traditions of their own volition once they understand the issues. This is actually happening in Japan with children declining to eat whale meat. Japan's government is not promoting this educational effort, of course, just as Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Chinese governments will not promote education regarding shark finning. However, the recent publicity surrounding the campaign against Disney Corp to back away from their earlier decision to serve shark fin soup at their new park in Hong Kong brought the issues to the fore for lots of young Chinese people there.

There is hope, but only when the demand for these goods disappears. And that will happen not by force, but by informed choice.

Sarah
09-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Malaysian ministry bans shark's fin soup
1 day ago

KUALA LUMPUR (AFP) — Malaysia's Natural Resources and Environment Ministry has struck off shark's fin soup from the menus at official functions, to help conserve the species, a report said Saturday.

Minister Azmi Khalid told the official Bernama news agency that the ministry had made the commitment to the Malaysian Nature Society.

"By refraining from the consumption of shark's fin soup, it is hoped that the ministry would contribute in one way or another towards the current conservation efforts for sharks species," he said.

"Their demise would start off a domino effect, which at each stage could result in the depletion or overpopulation of other fish and marine species leading to an imbalance in the marine ecosystem," he said.

Malaysia's population is dominated by Muslim Malays, but there are also large ethnic Chinese and Indian communities.

hbh2oguard
10-19-2007, 02:30 AM
It’s all about sustainability. If their fishing practices were sustainable, not wasteful, and had some sort of guidelines to follow I might be ok with it at best. There is no need to through a finless shark back in the water to die. Most of the countries are poverty stricken, why waste the food when your people could use it? Traditions, poverty, and ignorance all play a major role and until most if not all of those issues are dealt with this disgusting practices will continue. If the sharks were eaten, and taken at moderation, I’d be ok with it because I enjoy seafood and have eaten shark before. I’m not a shark lover but overfishing happens with all species, and when I grow old I still want to see something living underwater when I’m diving, or what the point of diving? A similar issue is brought up whit the native Indians in Washington State. I don’t mind their practice of whaling because it’s sustainable. A few whales a year won’t deplete the population, plus it’s continuing a tradition. They are using had carved boats propelled by man. They aren’t killing every, and any whale is sight with the newest, nicest ships money can buy like the Japanese. I don’t have anything against Asian culture or traditions, they just need to realize that the rate they are going there won’t be any animals for their traditions if their consumption is minimized. Again it’s all about sustainability, so the amazing creatures of the ocean don’t disappear forever.

Papa Bear
03-10-2008, 07:06 PM
hbh, well said! I agree with you and it is about management of an international resource! We need to be good stewards and that doesn't mean curtailing freedoms it means managing resources so there is enough for all including the natural world!