PDA

View Full Version : Diving First Aid Kit

lottie
08-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Maybe we should start a thread for what should go in a diving first aid kit too . . . :)

As Ron suggested, what do you have in your first aid kit?

I have the following, for a very simple and basic first aid kit.
(just thinking off the top of my head, as i can't be bothered to get it out the car)

* melolin swabs (adhesive and non)
* surgical tape
* assorted plasters
* safety pins
* triangular bandage
* various gauze bandages
* adhesive stitching
* finger bandages
* antiseptic wipes in individual packs
* scissors
* support bandage/tubigrip (i have problems with my knees!)

also,
* antihistamine cream (for those pesky mosquitoes)
* sun-tan lotion (for when you're on a boat and the sun's hot - you don't wanna get heatstroke between dives :))

Anything else???

acelockco
08-31-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't know exactly what is in my kit, but it is the same first aid kit I use for boating, camping, diving and anything else. It is just a basic kit that I purchased at the local outfitters.

So far all of the dive boats I have been on had a nicer first aid kit on board, but I keep mine in my bag anyway. Luckly so far, all I have had to use is some bandages and a little first aid cream. I'd like to keep it that way.

PinayDiver
08-31-2007, 02:30 PM
On a liveaboard in Verde-Galera, one dive buddy (who also happened to be a doctor) once pulled out a splint (!) to try to immobilize my wrist. Because...on my way down from the mess hall to the gearing area, I slipped on the wet steps and my arm instinctively shot out in between the metal railing to steady myself; I hurt my wrist instead (just the memory of it still makes me go oooouch). I opted for his tube of inflammation-reducing, pain-relieving ointment instead, and submitted to the DM's help in gearing up (like a child being dressed), just to go on two more dives (cold compress, right?:D) despite a frightening-looking blue-green hand -- foolish, foolish girl :D

rubber chicken
08-31-2007, 04:11 PM
My 1st Aid kit is a pretty basic one from an auto parts shop that sits in the back of the car. As my wife is a nurse i've managed to add a few extra bandages, antiseptic wipes and tongue depressors, (useful as finger splints).
i've also added a small spray bottle of vinegar, for jellyfish stings, and the largest box of assorted plasters that i could find.
One thing that I absolutely swear by is a 'bite clicker', I don't remember the technical/trade name for them but they are little plastic gizmos about an inch or so long that pass a piezo-electric spark across insect bites and stop the itching almost instantly. I found them in a camping/outdoor shop a couple of years ago and have taken one around the world through all sorts of mosquito/sandfly infested areas and can confirm that they really work.

By the way, thanks for starting this thread. You have reminded me that I need to renew my 1st Aid certificate soon.

acelockco
08-31-2007, 06:48 PM
Now the vinegar is one item that I forgot about and should be in there. It works wonders, I know from being stung.

I have never seen or heard of your clicker thingy though.

Humm, shock a wet diver?

rubber chicken
09-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Humm, shock a wet diver?

There is no battery or anything similar in it, just a small piezo-electic spark generator like the ones you get in stove lighters and such like. The voltage/current is negligable, I've used them wet and dry, hot and cold and they work every time. Relief from itching is virtually instantaneous. An absolute godsend in places like Scotland in the summer, Siberia in the spring and New Zealands West coast any time :D

acelockco
09-01-2007, 04:54 PM
I was just messing around anyway. I have never seen this item, I don't even know if you can get it in the US. Do you have a photo you can attach?

Quero
09-02-2007, 12:14 AM
The *first* thing that came to mind when I saw Lottie's list was a spray bottle of vinegar, so I also endorse rubberchicken's mention of it.

For insect bites, a simple, effective solution is ammonia. You can have a small bottle of it with some cotton swabs to dab it on with, or you can buy the commercial product "After Bite" which packages the ammonia in a pen-like dispenser.

Another thing we usually carry in our med-kits here is seasick tablets.

acelockco
09-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I always have After-Bite in my first aid kit, in my backpack, some in my fishing box. I LOVE that stuff!!!

seasnake
09-02-2007, 02:26 AM
What the heck is "plaster" translated into Canadian???

I keep EMT shears, medical gloves and a barrier device for artificial respiration in my kit too . . .

Tigerbeach
09-02-2007, 04:26 AM
Good Stuff!
Don't forget some kind of motion sickness meds; dramamine, bonine, etc for your boat trips!

rubber chicken
09-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Good call guys! I forgot the CPR barrier masks and gloves, I've got two masks. The moulded face mask type in a case that usually sits in my pocket on dives and a simple plastic sheet with mouthpiece that is always in the pocket of my jeans/shorts whatever.
I carry the latex gloves both in my 1st aid kit and my S-A-D kit. Worn under dive gloves in chilly water can be good for an extra couple of degrees before your hands cramp up into claws.:)

Not sure what 'plasters' translate to in canadian, ( english Canadian or french Canadian ?:D ) but you may know them as Band Aids ? I got the biggest box of assorted that I could find because you know that you are going to use them far more often than anything else in your 1st aid kit!

Being a bit of a technical numpty i don't know how to get a picture of the 'Bite Clicker' for you. However I have found something very similar, Try googling 'Zapperclick' for an idea of the sort of thing that i'm talking about.
I presume that these are available in the US, I thought absolutely everything was ?:D

Stay safe folks

seasnake
09-03-2007, 03:51 AM
You know, I always said I was going to try wearing the latex gloves under the dive mitts, but never got around to it ...

I just picked up a couple boxes of medical gloves made of pvc, for those allergic to latex, I guess. Not as stretchy as latex, but they seem to go on easier

rubber chicken
09-03-2007, 09:52 AM
I know guys who use the free polythene ones that you sometimes get on gas station forecourts. They seem to work just as well.

Diverdaniel
09-03-2007, 10:42 AM
First Aid:
Gloves of different sizes
pocket mask
Airways of diff sizs
2 splints
neck collar- adult
triangular bandages
gauze pads
alcohol gauze pads
band-aids 1 box lotsa sizes
asperins, pain killers
cotton wool and swabs
Iodine solution and paste
Savior solution
2 rolls of pressure bandage
gauze rolls
vaseline
safety pins
scissors cut-all
5 bandages small military type
2 medium Bandages military type
1 large bandage military type
2 sheets for burns
spare O2 masks for O2 kit
sergical tape
cord
ear buds
terniquetes (typo?)

stethoscpoe
accident management chart
pad and pencil
permanent marker
sergical blades
alcohol
3 litres fresh water
sunblock
aloevera tube for burns
superglue
sergical tweezers
thermometer.

outta the head, might be gorgetting osmething.

seasnake
09-07-2007, 04:41 AM
One thing that I absolutely swear by is a 'bite clicker', I don't remember the technical/trade name for them but they are little plastic gizmos about an inch or so long that pass a piezo-electric spark across insect bites and stop the itching almost instantly.

Was in an outfitters yesterday in the big city and actually saw this device on the shelf ... Therapik (http://www.buyatherapik.com/Therapik_Contact.htm)
The package actually lists "jellyfish stings" as one of the things it treats.

Diverdaniel
09-07-2007, 07:08 AM
cool, looks and reads great

lottie
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
Just noticed in the PADI Rescue in the chapter on first aid kits (pg 26), other stuff to add to the list that we have here
* penlight - for light and as an examination tool
* emergency blanket - for warmth and to cover divers with shock
* cold packs (for bruises, muscle injuries, stings, fractures)
* hydrocortisone ointment
* sugar packs/candy/fruit juice - for low blood sugar
* activated charcoal - for poisoning (!)