PDA

View Full Version : How many dives before...

Daddy-h2O
08-30-2007, 01:29 AM
How many dives did you do before ditching the snorkle? I got rid of mine pretty early, There have been occasions were I wish I had it but they are few and far between.

Do you still dive with a snorkle?

Tigerbeach
08-30-2007, 03:11 AM
I have always dove with and taught to use a snorkel.
I taught snorkeling before I introduced students to scuba gear.

acelockco
08-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Just the opposite here.

I used a snorkel in the pool, but when I went to my OW1 check out dive, the DM told me to take it off and put it away. I have never thought about putting it on again except when required. I keep it in my dive bag, because some places will REALLY give you a hard time about it (you can see it in my avitar). I also use it for snorkeling when on vacation the day before we fly.

Man, I need to update my avitar, that photo is really old and I don't even have/use most of that gear any longer.

hbh2oguard
08-30-2007, 06:13 AM
I use it all the time on pratically every dive. During a surface swim I'd rather be face down exploring than on my back day dreaming.

rubber chicken
08-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Still wear mine. Useful for long surface swims, checking conditions before descent, looking out for other divers on the shotline and occassionally poking into holes!:D

PinayDiver
08-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Just the opposite here.
Man, I need to update my avitar, that photo is really old and I don't even have/use most of that gear any longer.

A parallel (?) question then:
How many posts before you change your avatar? :D
Just kidding

acelockco
08-30-2007, 03:05 PM
A parallel (?) question then:
How many posts before you change your avatar? :D
Just kidding

Well, it has more to do with getting someone to take my photo than it does changing the avitar. It is easy to change the avitar, but nobody I dive with even has an U/W cammera except me, and mine is an old crappy cammera that I don't use much.

seasnake
08-30-2007, 05:43 PM
some places will REALLY give you a hard time about it

You mean some resorts/charters get on you about having a snorkel? Wow . . .

I don't use one much anymore unless (duh) snorkeling, or when I'm teaching because it is required by my organization. I keep saying I'm going to get one of those fold up ones and keep it on me, because I do like to snorkel for surface swims sometimes.