PDA

View Full Version : Save a Dive kit

lottie
08-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Something that Ace mentioned in another thread, got me thinking.

What should you have in your Save A Dive kit?

The following spring to mind:
spare snorkel mouth guard thing (yeah, i know, very technical :S)
spare straps for fins (if using adjustable straps)
o-rings (for various reasons)

what else??

acelockco
08-29-2007, 12:55 AM
OK, here is a rundown of what is in mine...just off the top of my head.

Spare mask w/strap
spare mask strap
2 fin straps with buckles attached
O-Ring kit with various o rings for most of my gear
Spare weight belt webbing and a buckle
Duct Tape
Silicone Grease
Anti Fog
Regulator 1st stage caps
small spare knife
Spare battries (for my main dive light, backup light, and 2 sets for the dive computer)
a length of thin bungie cord
a handful of zip ties
DIVE TOOLS
Also depending on where the dive is I bring a spare regulator but that is not in my kit. There may be other items that I just did not remember.

It is all in a waterproof pelican box. Now originally this started as a Trident brand save a dive kit I bought at the LDS, which was nice, but very limited.

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 12:59 AM
Spare batteries for YOUR computer and lights and tools to replace same
Zip Ties
A small roll of electrical tape (color optional, electrical tape is a the divers duct tape)
A small adjustable wrench, what good is having an extra o-rings if you can't remove the hose?
A small dental tool to remove an offending o-ring
A small arsonal of asprin or sudafed or other otc drug of choice

Sarah
08-29-2007, 01:06 AM
How about a huge water filter to improve the visibility?

;)

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 01:18 AM
or a sherpa to lug everything

acelockco
08-29-2007, 01:42 AM
A small arsonal of asprin or sudafed or other otc drug of choice

Well most dive boats frown upon my drug of choice, but not in California or Negril. ;)

acelockco
08-29-2007, 01:44 AM

;)

Visibility??? We don't need no stinkin' visibility.

Ha' that is the name I needed for my dive boat.

Low Viz or Zero Viz.....thanks...sweeet. What do you think?

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 01:45 AM
does beer count as an OTC medicine?

acelockco
08-29-2007, 01:53 AM
does beer count as an OTC medicine?

YES! But remember you have to bring enough to share with the Captain and crew.

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Rum?
Oh please let ther be rum...

acelockco
08-29-2007, 02:10 AM
Anyway, back to the original post here.

I want you to know Lottie, that my kit is designed for the type of diving I do up here. Now of course it would never hurt to have that much stuff, I just don't think you really would need all of that where you dive. Maybe the basic dive shop purchased save a dive kit with a few personal items of your own added. Just make sure you upgrade to a nice waterproof box so your stuff is in good working order when you need to rely on it.

Tigerbeach
08-29-2007, 03:53 AM
I would add Allen type wrenches and minor first aid stuff, too.

acelockco
08-29-2007, 04:35 AM
the allan wrenches, adjustable wrench, screw drivers, picks, and any special tools you might need all fall under the word DIVE TOOLS I put in the original post.

I also bring a first aid kit, but that is a different thing altogether, I just bought a nice first aid kit and added some things to that as well.

hbh2oguard
08-29-2007, 05:15 AM
an extra lp bc hose or two
extra weights
a few extra dive buddies:)

lottie
08-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Duct Tape

Pray tell why you would need Duct Tape/Electrical tape???

I only really wanted to know basic items (due to not having all the kit - as yet) and also if anyone else also wanted to know.

I can understand why you would want a spare mask strap - but a spare mask? Would that be necessary or is that down to the ole scout motto of "Be prepared"???

I already have a first aid kit - it stays in the car (thats the only thing with having a mom who's a nurse :)

acelockco
08-29-2007, 01:28 PM
Duct Tape....because you can fix so many things with duct tape.

Spare mask.....just because I have one and it fits in the kit. It is probablly overkill, but then again you never know. For example this weekend we were on a dive and one of the other divers was ready to splash when her mask strap broke. Considering it would be a pain in the rear end for her to get out of her gear (double clyinders, dry suit and a lot of other heavy gear) to mess with a mask strap for 5 minutes, it was MUCH easier for her to reach into her bag and pull out a spare mask. Again, it is much different where you dive, when all you would do is take off your bc and you could fix the mask.

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
Duct tape is versitile and very handy.

I choose to use electrical tape for like securing extra webbing of any kind, it will not breakdown like duct tape which is more like sticky cloth and electrical tape is more plastic like and last longer in the water. Both are good.

acelockco
08-29-2007, 05:31 PM
I will have to try out some electrical tape sometime. I use Duct Tape because its adheasive is waterproof where the adeasive on electrical tape is not(that I know of).

I don't care if the tape breaks down, because it is only a temp repair anyway, just to get through the day.

h2odragon1
08-29-2007, 06:09 PM

;)

a water filter to use for your drinking water, when oversea.

hbh2oguard
08-29-2007, 07:14 PM
Actually duct takes in not waterproof. The best water proof tape is a black pvc tape that is used in plumbing, a heavy duty electrical tape sort of material which is waterproof.

An extra mask should be considered a basic part of the kit becasuse what happens if you lose your mask entering the water? Never happend to me but I've seen it happen plenty of times especailly when there is some surf.

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 08:33 PM
I know one women who carries a complete dive outfit on her boat, including wet suit and bc. Of course it all fits HER...

acelockco
08-29-2007, 08:44 PM
An extra mask should be considered a basic part of the kit becasuse what happens if you lose your mask entering the water? Never happend to me but I've seen it happen plenty of times especailly when there is some surf.

Or your strap breaks during the dive and you loose the mask, or jumping in off a boat.

A trick is to wear your hood over your mask strap instead of having your mask strap over your hood. It is a pain in the rear end to do that, but you have a much better chance of keeping your mask. I personally don't do that, I am willing to take the chance......so far so good (not for my wife though....she lost one once).

acelockco
08-29-2007, 08:45 PM
I know one women who carries a complete dive outfit on her boat, including wet suit and bc. Of course it all fits HER...

Complete extra, or just on the boat for when she wanted to go for a dive?

If I had a boat, I would always have my dive gear with me. Then again if I had a boat, it would be just for diving. Or maybe I should say "When I get my boat". :D

Mountain Dog
08-29-2007, 09:24 PM
My kit is about the same as Ace's with one addition. Because Ladydog and I dive with integrated wireless computers, we also have a small SPG/depth gauge console in the kit. That way, if one of the wireless units fails (which has not happened) we'll have a back-up. We also carry a back-up point-and-shoot u/w camera, mostly because we have it.

Mountain Dog

Daddy-h2O
08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Complete extra, or just on the boat for when she wanted to go for a dive?

If I had a boat, I would always have my dive gear with me. Then again if I had a boat, it would be just for diving. Or maybe I should say "When I get my boat". :D

Complete set up old gear that is still usable

acelockco
08-30-2007, 12:27 AM
I have enough extra gear to take care of just about 2 additional divers (except thanks and computers) but I don't bring all of that stuff with me diving unless I know someone needs to borrow something or was planning on renting gear.

In fact I am (hopefully) picking up 4 additional cylinders and 3 pony cylinders this weekend....just too good of a deal to pass up.

seasnake
08-30-2007, 05:59 PM
Gotta have the duct tape, electrical tape and zip ties .... add a hammer and you can fix just about anything on land and sea ... :)

I have a bunch of first stage plugs in my kit too, and a spare low pressure hose. Sometimes you have to do some configuring to help somebody out of a jam.

Drysuit zipper wax, if you dive dry?

Any meds I keep in the first aid kit. Maybe we should start a thread for what should go in a diving first aid kit too . . . :)

PinayDiver
08-31-2007, 05:11 AM
[QUOTE=lottie;6742]I can understand why you would want a spare mask strap - but a spare mask? Would that be necessary or is that down to the ole scout motto of "Be prepared"??? [QUOTE]

I draw from my early mishaps :D
I was on a post-dinner night dive on my first Tubbataha liveaboard. Because the divemaster and I were seated beside each other on the chaseboat, we inadvertently switched masks in the scramble for gear in the dark. In the course of the night dive, he and I had our own puzzled thought balloons: his mask was tigher than usual and mine was looser (turns out his strap had the beginnings of a tear that he was fond of :) ).
On the surface, while waiting for the others to scramble up on the boat, he and I compared our tally of marine turtles and, with the moon out from behind the clouds now, noticed that we were wearing each other's masks! As he handed me my mask, he fumbled and it feeeell (our lights were too feeble by then).
Imagine my chagrin with 4 more multi-dive days to go! I ended up buying from the liveaboard's shop (I didn't want to tell the DM for how much :D).
Now, I have two spare masks, hehe. You never really know.

Diverdaniel
08-31-2007, 06:33 AM
2 adjustable wrenches
retractable Stanly knife w/spare blades
dentist tool
o-rings of varios sizes.
HP swivvel pin /O-rings
silicone grease
alen keys 4-5-6 mm
box screw driver w/bits of varios drive bits and box dirve. 1/4 inch
4.5-14 mm 1/4" drive socket set
zipties
pliers/cutters
spare HP hose w/SPG + one spare short HP hose.
LP hose w/scubapro inflator end (you can take it off and it becomes a regular LP hose)
2 mouth piece
second stage
LP Poppets
mask strap
2 finstraps w/buckels
bungee cord
tweezers
THERMO Tanks valve parts (just incase a tank valve gets busted, has happend to me b4 a dive.
spare mask
spare HP seat for my regs, never had to use it though.
small fine steel file.
electical tape
hommade tool for opening tank valves
BC inflator compleate
spare diafragms for second stages big and small
thats what i can remember atm
small chisel+350 gr' hammer
all this fits nicely in an old brief case i got. its alittle heavy but for the type of diving i do when away from the shop, i would rather be prepared for anything.
boat diving i often take a spare reg with me.
this kit has saved buddys and myself quite a few times.
it is not recommended to have all this stuff if you are not a certified equipment technician or at least know exactly what your doing.
Aces saveadivekit covers most common things.
first aid kit + O2 w/ambu suction
sell phone that is in the O2 kit ALL the time.
spare batteries and bulbs for lights

rubber chicken
08-31-2007, 04:29 PM
Agree with everything so far but would add:

Double ended Scraeder valve tool.
Set of Jewellers screwdrivers.
Couple of Boltsnaps.
Handful of loops cut from old bicycle inner tube. (for attatching aforementioned Boltsnaps.)
Handful of chemical light sticks.
Several litres of fresh water.
Throw bag.
Pair of Binoculars.
Notebook and several spare pencils.

My original S-A-D kit was built up over time with assorted bits and pieces that I acquired/found and was stored in a waterproof box that I bought in a Yacht chandlers. Unfortunately it, along with a lot of camping gear and my original dive log, was stolen from the back of my car a couple of months back so I've got to start all over again.:( Maybe i'll make up two kits and leave one at home!:)

acelockco
08-31-2007, 06:50 PM
Wow, sounds like some of these save a dive kits are going to be larger then the regular dive kit.....

Diverdaniel
08-31-2007, 10:00 PM
yup, forgot the lightstiks
pencil and pad are in first aid kit along with accident chart.
and yup, they can get to a fair size according to the types of dives you do.
if i would have to travel abroad, i would not take ALL that, only i would narrow it down to bare basics.
but, as long as i have my own car, i do not have to do the lugging.

lottie
08-31-2007, 10:40 PM
WOW! After seeing all those lists of what peeps have got in their kit...
Does anyone's include the kitchen sink???? ROFLMAO
:D :) ;)

Mountain Dog
09-01-2007, 02:10 AM
WOW! After seeing all those lists of what peeps have got in their kit...
Does anyone's include the kitchen sink???? ROFLMAO
:D :) ;)

I don't have to take the sink along when I dive at my favorite local quarry...there's already one down there.

Mountain Dog

acelockco
09-01-2007, 03:49 AM
LOL....there is one at my local quarry as well, but you probablly know that. Most dive boats have a skink as well, but we are talking about a spare. Maybe we need some type of portable sink for the crazy big save a dive kits out there.

rubber chicken
09-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Amongst the camping gear stolen from my car was a foldup camping sink with it's own stand!:) Does that count?

acelockco
09-01-2007, 04:51 PM
It did count, but now it counts for some scumbag that steals.

Diverdaniel
09-01-2007, 06:57 PM
ROFL yup, it counts, and thats a bloody good idea.

Tigerbeach
09-02-2007, 04:33 AM
Not a snorkel keeper in the bunch; I must be a f@#king dinosaur...

Diverdaniel
09-02-2007, 08:24 AM
oh,lol the O-rings are keps on the snorkel keepers :) got about 3 :D

littleleemur
02-05-2008, 04:06 AM
Buckles for your fins and prestrap the finstrap into it too. Otherwise you'll be sitting out that dive because it takes a while to thread the strap into the buckle.

Also, in their haste to get me onto the boat, the DM undid the buckle & lost it. So the extra buckle is a dive-saver.

Even if you have spring straps, get the extra buckles, b/c they can and will come off.

nat
02-05-2008, 04:58 PM
After reading the scuba chat up lines, don't us women just need lipstick?;)

BillGraham
02-08-2008, 02:08 AM
Pray tell why you would need Duct Tape/Electrical tape???

You never know why you'll need duct tape until you don't have any. :cool:

yup, forgot the lightstiks

What the hell are these things good for other than waving around at concerts?