PDA

View Full Version : OW Certified !!

aerospot
08-27-2007, 09:22 PM
Yesterday we did our last 2 open water dives at a local lake, (Lake Pleasant near Erie Pa.).
The previous weekend we did our first 3 dives including 'Skin Diver Skills' so I was happy to hear "That's it,..You are officially Certified" from my instructor as he shook my hand! I felt like a kid in a candy store!
Most of my classmates had opted to take up AOW so were anticipating more dives before the weather closes in.
Unlike the previous week at a local quarry in the rain the weather was perfect. Visability was great and we found some artifacts on the bottom. We swam upon an old wood boat and my instructor took the opportunity to pick it clean of fishing lures.
Now I need to get equipped to avoid paying the rental fees each time I go diving. The LDS has a layaway plan to stretch things out over this winter. I'll use it to purchase my wetsuit and reg. The next time I dive I'll try a back float BC.
Celebrations last night made for a vacation day today.... :D

lottie
08-27-2007, 10:43 PM
Congratulations Aerospot and well-done on getting your OW.
It's onwards and upwards now :D

acelockco
08-27-2007, 10:58 PM
You are officially Certified" from my instructor as he shook my hand! I felt like a kid in a candy store!

Now I need to get equipped to avoid paying the rental fees each time I go diving. The LDS has a layaway plan to stretch things out over this winter. I'll use it to purchase my wetsuit and reg. The next time I dive I'll try a back float BC.

Congrats, you finally made it!

As far as the equipment goes, it would be a smart move for you to get your own gear. You will notice that you will be diving much more often when you don't have to spend a small fortune every time you want to dive.

As far as the back inflate BC, I personally feel rear inflation is the only way to go. It feels a little awkward at first because it puts you horizontal in the water, which is not a natural postion for people. It takes a bit to get used to this, but it is the ideal postiton to be in. It is more streamlined in the water, so you will eventually use less air in this position, you will have an easier time fighting currents and will be in optimal position to get through tight spots (wrecks, caves, etc).

I would highly reccomend a backplate/harness or similar and a wing, it will truely work well in all types of diving and is actually less expensive than a quality BC.

Now wetsuit......well considering where you live, a dry suit would be the best thing you can get, but it is VERY cost prohibitive.....if you live in pa, the blue drunk driving road signs say it really clearly. "DUI, you can't afford it"

So if you have to get a wetsuit, you will want a 7mm farmer john type wetsuit, which is the same thing you probablly rented for your checkout dives. Fit is going to be the most important part of the wetsuit. Any area that does not fit snugly is going to allow water flow which will make you cold. Some features to think about are going to be the type of wetsuit material (standard, or some of the ultra strech type like Henderson Hyperstrech). The ultra strech types make life really easy when it comes time to put on or take off the wetsuit, plus that type really can conform to your body because it is so strechy. You may also want to consider zippers around the ankle area again to make getting it on and off easier. Another nice feature in some newer wetsuits are seals around the neck, wrist, and ankle to help reduce water flow, and some even go as far as to put on an expensive dry suit zipper.

Again, congrats on the cert.

Let me know if you need any additional info on the gear.

Ace

Daddy-h2O
08-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Rent, if you can, the equipment you are considering, like diffrent styles of BC's or Diffrent types of wet suits. there are some shops that are willing to work with you. I would also suggest a "cold water" reg. I live a little further North than you and I still see shops that sell a standard reg.

Welcome to our world....

aerospot
08-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Congrats, you finally made it!

I would highly reccomend a backplate/harness or similar and a wing, it will truely work well in all types of diving and is actually less expensive than a quality BC.

So if you have to get a wetsuit, you will want a 7mm farmer john type wetsuit, which is the same thing you probablly rented for your checkout dives.

Let me know if you need any additional info on the gear.

Ace

Drysuit is in my distant future. I first need to spend a chunk-O-change on my initial suit, bc, reg & computer.
I've used both a 5mm jumpsuit and 5mm Henderson farmer john. I like the farmer john more for ease of dawning and double insulation in the core. 7mm seems a bit much for now but that may change as I experience the deeper, colder temps of lake erie.

I had inquired about what reg to purchase and was given an AquaLung Legend Glacia (http://www.aqualung.com/products/glacia.html) to use this last dive. Hard to have an opinion at this point but it is a cold water reg and seemed to work well for me.

Now as to the 'back wing' with a harness? Tell me more... What brand do you recommend? Is it weight integrated? What features would you look for?

I am hopeful to get in all my AOW dives this year. Any chance to dive now and I'm in! Tally Ho !!!

Where in Pa are you? How close to Erie??

acelockco
08-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Great! If a dry suit is in your future, then the 5mm wetsuit would be a better choice, especially when you travel to dive.

As far as a regulator, any regulator you can purchase is going to be great for any recreational dives you do. Don't get too sold on the bells and whisles. Look for something that is going to be serviceable in the future (READ NAME BRAND!!). I have read great things about Sherwood regulators. I personally have the following regulators and all work great: Cressi Sub (the cheap entry level model), Mares v-12 or v-32 or something. I have a Aqualung Conshelf (which is pretty old), a sherwood magnium blizzard (pony setup), a aqualung abs (another pony setup), and an old Dacor Pacer (spare). They all work great and have never failed me! I would also say go for a yolk fitting especially if you travel as it seeems to be the most common or rent tanks because rental tanks are usually only available in yolk. If you do decide to get into technical diving you will then be ready for a new regulator with a din fitting at that time, but then you can always use your old reg. for a pony or stage bottle.

As far as computers go get something that does Nitrox. Something with a backlight is a great feature up here in the dark waters we dive. I personally use a console mount (in a pod with a compass and my pressure gauge), but would perfer to have a wrist mount, and have a compass and pressure gauge seperate. You can get air integrated, but I would reccomend that you still have a regular pressure gauge anyway. One really important feature you need to look for is user replaceable batteries and make sure you keep an extra set or two in your save a dive kit (you need to make a save-a-dive kit if you don't already have one).

OK, there are some options for the backplate/wing setup.

There are a bunch of different companies that make them, but they are all basically the same thing. What you are buying is a metal plate (backplate) with holes in it to accept web strapping (same as weight belt straps) and some connecting buckles and d-rings. You can get the backplate in plastic (don't do that), aluminum(lightweight) or stainless steel (expensive, heavy, but the best buoyancy characteristics as it is negative about 7 lbs you can take that off your belt). You can use the weight belt to make your own harness, but they are not really expensive and it is easier to buy a premade one. If it ever needs replacing you can then just copy what you have.

Another option is a pack, instead of the web harness and metal plate you have it all integrated into something that looks like a hikers backpack without any bag. It is almost the same thing as the backplate and harness, but integrated into one. I feel it is a little more comfortable for me on my back then the metal plate, but it is not negative buoyant.

To that you add a wing, which is your actual BC, it has an inflate hose and works just like the bc you are used to in class, but it is straped between the backplate/harness or pack and your cylinder(s) so it gives you rear inflation and leaves you feeling free as you don't have this vest around your body. Wings can be purchased in many different sizes depending on your diving and more importantly your number and size of tanks. The nice thing is you can buy different wings for different types of diving you do (one for travel, one for singles, one for doubles)

If you like weight integration, you can add weight pockets to them and all of the companies that sell these bp/wings sell weight pockets for them. I personally have the weight pockets and a weight integrated bc and think I am going to go back to a regular weight belt with solid weights.

A few of the companies that make these setups are :

Dive Rite
OMS
Halcyon
Aqualung
Oxycheq
Posiedon
(and I am sure there are some others)

Go to dive rite's web site as it is a good place to start, they have good photos and a bunch of info on different options.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

Hope this helped.

Ace

acelockco
08-28-2007, 05:42 PM
By the way, that AquaLung Legend Glacia is a really sweet looking regulator, but it looks EXPENSIVE!!

If you like AquaLung, here is a link to their backplae/wings page http://www.aqualung.com/products/wtx_series.html

xxpnkdrummer05xx
08-29-2007, 06:08 AM
i had a hard time picking my gear but finally got it all together, piece by piece.
Henderson 7mm wetsuit
ScubaPro BCD's are really nice and it comes with the octo attached to the inflater. back flotation jacket.
i also got Atomic Aquatic B2 Reg. breaths really easy even though you go deeper, compared to the ones i was renting before.
and finally i just got a my oceanic veo 100 computer console and i'm going to take that out this weekend to laguna to learn how to use it. lol
i dont know about other companies but i heard these three companies have good warranties and keep making parts for the older models not like the smaller companies that get bought out.

acelockco
08-29-2007, 01:22 PM
i dont know about other companies but i heard these three companies have good warranties and keep making parts for the older models not like the smaller companies that get bought out.

Well, as far as no name brands, definately steer clear. As far as smaller compaines getting bought out, remember Dacor (used to be one of the biggest if not the biggest name in diving) well, they were bought out and now parts are not available for their gear.

xxpnkdrummer05xx
08-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Well, as far as no name brands, definately steer clear. As far as smaller compaines getting bought out, remember Dacor (used to be one of the biggest if not the biggest name in diving) well, they were bought out and now parts are not available for their gear.

yea thats what i meant.

rubber chicken
08-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Very many congratulations!!

That's one more of us and one less of them!:D

aerospot
08-31-2007, 07:09 PM
Very many congratulations!!

That's one more of us and one less of them!:D

Thanks! It feels great.. I'm anxiously waiting for card to arrive.
Florida bound next April fer sure!! Meanwhile I'm going to get with my fellow classmates this fall and do some lake diving.
The LDS has a lay-away program that I'm going to use to stretch out the purchase of my reg / octo & wet suit. I did my cert dives in a Henderson 5mm FJ and liked it over the jumpsuit. I really, really dont want to scar a credit card with these purchases and am glad they have a payment plan.
We did our academic AOW and I'm buggin them to get some more dives scheduled yet this fall.
I'm taking Ace's clue and going to try a 'Back Wing' as I dont like the vest style BC's. I'm watching the Ebay sales for one... I still need to get guage console with instruments and such.
The other day I took my 8 year old grandson out in Lake Erie with an innertube and we snorkled for 2 hours. The water was smooth and the vis was 60' or more. We had a ball chas'in fish and hunting crawdads. Now he buggs me every day to go back but the waves are up and the vis down...

acelockco
08-31-2007, 08:57 PM
I'm watching the Ebay sales for one...

I know a lot of divers tell you to stay clear of ebay gear, but if you really know what you are looking at some of the deals there are amazing. When you find something that you are thinking about buying on ebay, let me know and I will look at it for you to make sure you are getting something good and compatable with your particular diving.

By the way, I purchased a 7mm farmer john & jacket wetsuit on ebay for $15 plus $7 shipping. The thing was/is like brand new. I don't even use it anymore, but for that price who cares.

Our local dive shop also sells used gear on consinment for other divers. I often find great deals there that I can't pass up, and then resell the stuff on ebay. For example, I bought a used Dive Rite Transpac and Dual SuperWings for $175 at my LDS. I did not want the SuperWings, so I sold them for $225 on ebay. I was over there again yesterday and found a smaller Dive Rite wing for $50. So, I basically got a DiveRite Transpac and Wing for NOTHING, except the time to buy and resell it on ebay.

I am picking up some more gear this weekend from a retireing diver....good deals. They have a BRAND NEW, NEVER USED Henderson Dry Suit size large for $500. I am sure they would consider taking less. If you are interested, I will pass their info on to you. They also had a few regulator setups that I am not taking from them.

aerospot
09-14-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks Ace, I appreciate the advice.
I have yet to commit to purchasing my Reg & wetsuit from the shop but intend to. Were diving this weekend and I'm going to try and get one of the few back floatation bc's that they have for comparison. I dont like the vest types as they are bulkier than I want and would rather have less around my sides and front to contend with...
I havent been on ebay lateley but over this winter intend to make a few purchases, primarily a bc. I'll let you know when I see something that catches my eye for your input.
Temps tomorrow are predicted in the low 50's and overcast. Sounds like perfect diving weather!:confused:

lars2923
09-14-2007, 05:04 PM
For a recreational Regulator, the Atomic B2 was a good choice.
I have been using a Scubapro MK25/600 for years. When a friend
of mine offered his second stage to me during a dive and I breathed
off of it, I was sold on the B2. So I bought 4 of them...

Henderson is a good brand name, pricey but good...

Looks like you're well stocked..

Scubapro for the BCD, warranteed for life. I'm not a fan of
the inflator you describe, but that's just my preference.

Now, where will you go diving?

acelockco
09-14-2007, 08:43 PM
Were diving this weekend and I'm going to try and get one of the few back floatation bc's that they have for comparison. I dont like the vest types as they are bulkier than I want and would rather have less around my sides and front to contend with...

I know you said you were diving a more advanced dive than you have done in the past, and that is great. It is also good to see you will have a chance to try the rear inflate BC. Just remember to relax and fight the feeling of pushing your head up. I felt a little weird the first few times I used a rear inflate BC, I always wanted to get into a vertical position and of course the BC wasn't allowing that to happen. Once you get used to the feeling of being horizontal in the water you will really understand the advantage. Of course you already know how much nicer it is going to feel having your body free from a vest BC.

Can't wait to hear a dive report.

Ace