PDA

View Full Version : Package help!

Andy
08-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I have got my first wetsuit, by Oceanic, next I would like my own BCD & regs. I have been using the dive school's Oceanic which seem fine but was wondering if anyone could recommend any other good entry level packages around the £400 mark before I decide.

Thanks everyone.

Andy

Sarah
08-21-2007, 01:34 PM
Andy,

Ask you local dive shop if you can try at least 5 or so different bc's and other gear so you can compare, but then make sure you buy from the place that gave you that type of service!

acelockco
08-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Andy,

If you would like to have something you will use for your entire life of diving and not have to break the bank, I would say go with a backplate and a wing. You can get a backplate with all of the straps and buckles for about $150 USD and a wing for about $200-250 USD. That is about $400 USD, which is less expensive than most of the BC's out there.

This setup will work for easy warm water tropical dives as well as technical dives in the cold North Atlantic and everywhere else you can think of. They are easy to pack and are lightweight and compact. You can get the backplate in Stainless Steel, Aluminum or even hi-tec plastics.

You can get your wing for single tanks, double tanks and even some that work with both. Your local dive shop is going to try to sell you something different that they can make more money on, BUT this is the way to go.

If you have any questions, let me know and I am sure I can help, if not I know one of the other divers here will be able to.

BamaCaveDiver
08-21-2007, 03:04 PM
I agree with Ace's recommendation to go with a BP/Wing setup if you want versatility as well as simplicity. I would caution you about the wings that are said to be good for both singles and small doubles -- these are typically crap. If you go this route buy your wing to fit your diving needs; use a singles wing for single cylinder setups, and buy a doubles wing once you have progressed to diving twinsets.

acelockco
08-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Sure thing, having 2 different(or more) wings is the way to go if you are diving both doubles and singles if that is an option for you. Of course if you can afford doubles and all of the gear to go with that, another wing is not going to be your biggest concern anyway. I was just trying to show the options out there.

Now how much is £400? I have no idea if $400 is anywhere near £400.

BamaCaveDiver
08-21-2007, 03:12 PM
Not sure of the exact exchange rate, but £400 is about twice as much as $400.

acelockco
08-21-2007, 04:01 PM
Good deal, with that other $400 he could buy another piece of gear or go on some nice dives!

Aah, looking back at the original post, he said he wanted a regulator as well. Now he can put that other £200 towards that.

Now as far as regulators go.....man there are soooooooo many choices.

Andy
08-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks again, I agree I would sooner support my local dive shop now I have got to know them, than buying from the internet! I think it's good for doing researc & reading reviews, but people have lost their jobs because of it!

Andy
08-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks Acelocko, you seem to have a genuine regard for new divers, even thousands of miles away! I hadn't considered your wing idea,yet................

Andy
08-21-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks, I hadn't considered this option but as with most things in life it pays to be open minded...........

acelockco
08-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Thanks again, I agree I would sooner support my local dive shop now I have got to know them, than buying from the internet! I think it's good for doing researc & reading reviews, but people have lost their jobs because of it!

You definately should support your local dive shop for so many reasons. That does NOT mean you have to buy what they are trying to sell you. If you want something they don't sell, they will surely order it for you. They will be able to help you with the proper size you need and such. They will also be able to service your gear for you and answer all kinds of questions.

Now that being said, I would think any reputable dive shop (other than tropical shops) would have a backplate and wing setup for sale.

The nicest thing about the BP/Wing is it is something that is good for a beginer, but is also the same setup an advanced diver would use. So it will be something that is actually a good investment in terms of scuba gear. Plus you don't want to forget you will look much cooler than the other divers that are using vest bc's...(just kidding).

Don't rush into anything and don't let the salesperson talk you into something you don't want because they have it in stock or can make you a great deal.