PDA

View Full Version : If this doesn't bring a smile to your face....

Quero
08-19-2007, 11:47 AM
.... you're a sad, sad case!

We love to scuba (http://eclectech.co.uk/scuba.php)

fooddude
08-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks.

FD

acelockco
08-19-2007, 02:51 PM
I love to SCUBA on a Saturday Night.....

Quero
08-19-2007, 03:35 PM
I love to SCUBA on a Saturday Night.....

Nothing makes me happier than jumping off a ship, LOL

lottie
08-19-2007, 04:00 PM
Marcia - why, oh, why did you have to put that up (i'm not dissing you in the slightest here) :)
I didn't watch all of it, but as that was the first thing i looked at this morning, i've now got that friggin' song in my head and can't get rid of it

Aaarrrrgggghhhhhhhhh :D

Andy
08-19-2007, 05:48 PM
Well it's one way to spend your off-gassing time, very inventive!

PinayDiver
08-20-2007, 12:19 PM
I thought at first it said Lottie :D

"Lotte pulls her wetsuit on and jumps into the sea. Jacques's onboard Calypso getting ready for a dip. Nothing makes us happier than jumping off a ship. We love to scuba, we love to scuba on a Saturday night"

And a-one more time...

Daddy-h2O
08-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Octopus Scuba?

seasnake
08-21-2007, 03:02 AM
and it promotes night diving ... awesome ... :)

lottie
08-21-2007, 01:01 PM
I thought at first it said Lottie :D

"Lotte pulls her wetsuit on and jumps into the sea.

Now do I listen to that again and see if it says "Lottie" and get that song in my head for the rest of the day....can I contain my curiosity.....

I.....Must......not.....watch....it...........

acelockco
08-21-2007, 02:47 PM
LMAO!!!

Lottie, you sound like William Shatner (sp??)

acelockco
08-21-2007, 02:50 PM
IT DOES SAY LOTTIE!!!

It even has your name on the screen when it says that!!!

I wonder if the person that made that is someone we know??

h2odragon1
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
that would be night dives, you can see more in the daytime.
what are flippers?

acelockco
08-21-2007, 04:05 PM
that would be night dives, you can see more in the daytime.
what are flippers?

WHAT WHAT WHAT????

Anyway, not if you have a light!!!

Flipper, he was a dolphin that was faser than lightning.

PinayDiver
08-21-2007, 04:20 PM
- part of a pinball machine
- an '80s punk band
- fried pastry pie
- a turner or spatula

:D

Daddy-h2O
08-21-2007, 04:55 PM
- part of a pinball machine
- an '80s punk band
- fried pastry pie
- a turner or spatula

:D

and what the non-diving public call those things we put on our feet...

acelockco
08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
But is is not as bad as the divers calling the scuba cylinder a "tank". Funny everyone calls it a tank.....well I don't, but cylinder is a word I use every day in my profession so it just flows out I guess.....like my breathing gas.

lottie
08-21-2007, 06:08 PM
IT DOES SAY LOTTIE!!!

I...musn't.....I....can't........must....desist... ......don't make me.....listen...to....it....again.......
Must.......resist........

acelockco
08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
When you finally give in, you will be amazed to see your name on the screen!

It is not the worst song to be stuck in your head is it? At least it is about SCUBA!

Quero
08-22-2007, 09:50 AM
IT DOES SAY LOTTIE!!!

:p do a little digging in relation to scuba history. The references are to Lotte and Hans Hass--early pioneers, and to Jacques Yves Cousteau and his ship Calypso, no explanation needed.

Shame about the "flipper" thing, though.

And Lottie, the name Lotte is pronounced Lottie in the soundtrack. You really *must* listen :D

acelockco
08-22-2007, 03:08 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. Of course I know we all know who Cousteau is. I think most of us know Hans Hass too. I don't know who Lotte is, but I do know a soon to be famous dive master in St. Lucia named Lottie! ;)

Tigerbeach
08-22-2007, 03:56 PM
Or that new punk rock band "Lottie and the livestock"

lottie
08-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Cool, thanks for the info. Of course I know we all know who Cousteau is. I think most of us know Hans Hass too. I don't know who Lotte is, but I do know a soon to be famous dive master in St. Lucia named Lottie! ;)

I'm going to show my dive naivety here - I don't know who Hans Haas is (I have heard of Cousteu though :)

From what I've been told in the past - Lotte (without the I) is of dutch origin.
Lottie (with the I) is an abbreviation of the name Charlotte is of germanic origin and means womanly

There you go, you learn something new every day ;)

Or that new punk rock band "Lottie and the livestock"
BwaHaHaHaHaHa...soon to be playing in a barn somewhere :D

acelockco
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Hans Hass (born January 23, 1919 in Vienna, Austria) is a diving pioneer and mainly known for his documentaries about sharks, the energon theory, and his commitment to the protection of the environment.

For more info go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Hass

fooddude
08-23-2007, 12:57 PM
Not a big fan of wikipedia as anyone can post anything they like, true or untrue. Here's a site that may be of interest: easy to read and understand.

http://www.hans-hass.de/Englisch/index_english.htm

Enjoy!

FD

acelockco
08-23-2007, 03:07 PM
I was not aware of anything like that on wikipedia, I have to check that out. Anyway you can always look up Hans at the local library. Even there you may get authors that write whatever they want as long as they have the ability to get their book published (which is not too hard).

The only problem with your link fooddude is it ONLY talks about The Energon Theory and nothing at all about Hans or SCUBA.

Quero
08-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Not a big fan of wikipedia as anyone can post anything they like, true or untrue. Here's a site that may be of interest: easy to read and understand.

http://www.hans-hass.de/Englisch/index_english.htm

Enjoy!

FD

Well, sort of. Anyone can post, but also there is a vetting process, and other users can challenge the content. There are discussion pages for this, and any entry that has its content challenged or questioned for accuracy, tone, bias, etc. carries a warning announcement at the top along with a link to the discussion. I'm a professional writer, and I find a great deal of the content at Wikipedia pretty useful for general information, espcially articles like the one cited regarding Hans Hass. You can tell by the solid documentation in the references list.

Like anything you read (including your local newspaper and this discussion list) you must use your own brain when you consult Wikipedia, and read critically.

But anyway, thanks for the additional link!

Quero
08-24-2007, 02:21 AM
Even there you may get authors that write whatever they want as long as they have the ability to get their book published (which is not too hard).

I apologize, Ace, for having to disabuse you of your mistaken impression, but it is exceedingly hard to get published in print! Of course, there's always "vanity press." You can find ads for a number of "publishers" in the Sunday supplements.

acelockco
08-24-2007, 02:34 AM
I apologize, Ace, for having to disabuse you of your mistaken impression, but it is exceedingly hard to get published in print! Of course, there's always "vanity press." You can find ads for a number of "publishers" in the Sunday supplements.

It is ok, I can take it.....anyway my idea of being easy to get published is just because I personally know of two divers that have many books published. Now they are published by a small company that was paid for this job, but anyway, their books are in dive shops that I have been to.

So, you can always self publish. I don't know if this is "vanity press" or what.

PinayDiver
08-28-2007, 12:46 PM
[QUOTE=Quero;6598]...Anyone can post, but also there is a vetting process, and other users can challenge the content...QUOTE]

Seeing that Wikipedia came up in the discussion, you guys will probably enjoy this:

http://www.slate. com/id/2172703/

which features the very interesting and clever "Wikiscanner" (featured in
The Colbert Report's Word of the Day monologue :)), developed by a Caltech student (and self-described Disruptive Technologist).

This guy took the supposedly anonymous Wikipedia-page edits and correlated them with the IP addresses.

Excerpt of some cited results: "An Exxon IP cleaned up the section on the effects of the Valdez oil spill, cheerfully noting 'six of the largest salmon harvests in history were recorded in the decade immediately following the spill.' A Philip Morris IP deleted this sentence from a history paragraph of the 'Marlboro (cigarette)' page: 'It emerged as the number one youth-initiation brand.' "

What a stink bomb!:D I rather liked the (all-is-not-lost) wrap-up towards the end: "...for the moment, the open-source encyclopedia seems to be holding the fort against the forces of idiocy and spin." Idiocy and spin, haha. I guess, in the end, it's that baby-and-bathwater kind of thing.

Quero
08-28-2007, 11:43 PM
It is ok, I can take it.....anyway my idea of being easy to get published is just because I personally know of two divers that have many books published. Now they are published by a small company that was paid for this job, but anyway, their books are in dive shops that I have been to.

So, you can always self publish. I don't know if this is "vanity press" or what.

Yes, that is vanity press. The writer pays for the whole cost of printing and binding, does the distribution him/herself, and hopes that enough books will be sold to recoup the cost. Yes, anyone can see their words in print in this way. And no, there's no quality control whatsoever.

Quero
08-29-2007, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Lu-Ann, I had read the NY Times article a couple of weeks ago--the Wikiscanner is brilliant and will make an already good source of general information even better. Any wiki (not just Wikipedia) is vulnerable to self-interest editing. The Times article quotes one expert and notes:

Internet experts, for the most part, have welcomed WikiScanner. “I’m very glad that this has been exposed,” said Susan P. Crawford, a visiting professor at the University of Michigan Law School. “Wikipedia is a reliable first stop for getting information about a huge variety of things, and it shouldn’t be manipulated as a public relations arm of major companies.”

Most of the corporate revisions did not stay posted for long. Many Wikipedia entries are in a constant state of flux as they are edited and re-edited, and the site’s many regular volunteers and administrators tend to keep an eye out for bias.

And as I said earlier, whenever we read anything we need to use our brains and read critically.

But wouldn't you be tempted to "improve" a Wiki article about yourself? I would :-)

PinayDiver
08-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Sure, just hide our IP addresses ;)

Quero
08-31-2007, 01:16 AM
Sure, just hide our IP addresses ;)

:p (and a couple more to make up the minimum character count) :p :p