PDA

View Full Version : Just joined

Andy
08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Hi

I passed my open water just in time to go diving in Mauritius in April, bit of a difference to winter in lake district, my first question is as I am shortsighted so far i have been diving in contact lenses. This means all the skills have been done with closed eyes; would anyone recommend investing in prescription lenses and does it make the experience any different?

I have only 9 logged dives so still have a lot to learn!

Thanks

Andy

acelockco
08-12-2007, 09:14 PM
First things first, CONGRATS on your new certification! Welcome to our cool hangout on the web.

Now, I can barely see without my glasses, but I am able to do fine without anything special during my dives. I am nearsighted, so I can read my gauges without a problem and the first few feet are not too bad. Now I also generally dive in very low visibility places anyway.

I have used contacts in the past, and that works great. If you do already have contacts, then just wear them.

Andy
08-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the advice, I went into my local dive store (Warrington England)with my birthday spending money, intending on getting fins, and spent the lot on an Oceanic wetsuit & shortie as I am going to Spain in a few weeks! When I have more money, are there any leading designs? I have tried the Mares which seem OK but was recommended the Oceanic fins as a good value starter.

Andy

acelockco
08-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Andy,

Do a search for Leg Kicking on this site and you will find a thread started by Lottie on the subject of fins. There are as many opinions as there are fins, so get what works best for you. I personally like the old style vented fins like the IDI, Turtles, Scuba Pro Jet fins, Dacor Turbo Flex, ect.

Ace

lottie
08-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Hey Andy,
Welcome to the boards and congrats on getting your OW cert. I admire your courage of diving in England (not something that I would do - I'm an expat brit), I prefer the warm-waters :)

But Mauritius must have been good for diving? Can you elaborate on the diving out there?

Here's a link to the Leg Kicking thread that Ace mentioned
Leg Kicking - ScubaMagazine.net Forum (http://www.scubamagazine.net/showthread.php?t=997)

Phlocker
08-13-2007, 02:12 AM
Andy,
I am near sighted as well, but the water acts as a Magnifyer as well. So when I am underwater everything seems equal and I have no trouble judging distances like some of my 20/20 friends do. Good luck and welcome to the 2/3rds of the world that you have never seen.:)

The Publisher
08-13-2007, 08:28 AM
Welcome Andy!

Andy
08-13-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the expert opinion Ace, maybe I can pick your brains about another subject soon!

Andy
08-13-2007, 05:59 PM
Thanks for that perspective and for your wishes!

Daddy-h2O
08-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Welcome,

My wife has her perscription in her mask and wouldn't change it for the world. Just a diffrent point of view. I know a few divers that have had bi-focals in. I would suggest investing in a set once you find a mask you truely like. (I went through a few mask before I settled in, my wife has been diving the same mask for years) Bottom line is if you are comfortable without then by all means use the money else were.

But doing a skill like mask flood and clear is on your terms and you were prepared to close your eyes. How fast can you react if a fin knockes your mask off?

Just voicing an opinion.

acelockco
08-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the expert opinion Ace, maybe I can pick your brains about another subject soon!

Anytime, I love to help out.

Ace

fooddude
08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Welcome aboard! I use a prescription in my mask. I always have. My first mask died earlier this season so I just got (and love!) the new Mares Liquidskin. Quite an investment when the lenses are in, but I love it. Soft, comfortable, like they said.

Even though I am not nearly blind (rarely use glasses on land) I decided to use scripts while underwater because I don't want to miss anything. I want to see it all. Even if it just makes things a bit sharper, it's worth it in my opinion. Of course, money is always an object in this gear intensive sport of ours, and if you don't have all of the little things, you may want to spend that money elsewhere. I keep an old, non-prescription mask in my gearbag "just-in-case" and need to wear it. I have, and I've had great dives with it. Especially because like Ace, I too dive in lots of low vis conditions in the Northeast US.

Good luck, and welcome.

Andy
08-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks daddyh20 & other replyers;
Tonight I got to the stage of being able to breathe mask off without rushing to get it back on & clear (eyes closed of course) but it goes to show practice & pushing yourself a bit builds confidence - wherever you are in the world!

Andy
08-14-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks fooddude, I have been doing all my skills with closed eyes so far, but in future would like to be able to open them as normal vision divers do, although I am told if if you can find your equipment blind it makes you a better diver!

fooddude
08-15-2007, 05:22 PM
True. It helps to know your equipment well enough to be able to put it on, take it off and back again, make adjustments, etc. all with eyes closed.

Tigerbeach
08-16-2007, 07:53 AM
Thanks fooddude, I have been doing all my skills with closed eyes so far, but in future would like to be able to open them as normal vision divers do, although I am told if if you can find your equipment blind it makes you a better diver!

Welcome aboard, Andy.

It may be more useful to practice your different skills with your eyes open anyway; limited vision is way more useful to me than none.

Besides, you can always cup two fingers over your eyebrow, look down and exhale air into the pocket, making an instant mini-mask!

Best Fishes,

ASW

Andy
08-16-2007, 10:06 PM
Wow, talk about thinking out of the box! I will experiment with this in 2m methinks!