PDA

View Full Version : Propulsion with Ski Poles?

CrazyHead
08-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Have you ever tried pulling yourself along the bottom with two sticks, sticking them in the silt/mud and pulling? What about ski poles?

I want to try this out and I could use some advice on what length of stick or pole to use. The bottom is soft silt.

TIA
CH

acelockco
08-10-2007, 06:16 PM
In strong current situations (Cooper River looking for teeth) we use something called a river pick. It is a home made tool, kind of like a small L/J shaped hook. It is not used to move you in the water, but rather to keep you from going down stream.

Is there a reason you are trying this or have this idea? Just trying to figure out what the problem is and some solutions.

CrazyHead
08-10-2007, 06:20 PM
I know that pulling myself along rocks is much faster than finning, and uses less energy (and air). But with a silt bottom that doesn't work well at all. I don't have a scooter, so I'm looking for other ways to go longer distances while diving. Like in this case about 3000ft each way.

acelockco
08-10-2007, 09:23 PM
I don't know your exact use and location, but have you considered laying a line out? That would be a really easy way to move underwater with ease, speed, and without using much energy.

Wow, that is a rather long distance though, you should consider a DPV.

Papa Bear
08-20-2007, 05:56 AM
We sell such a tool at http://www.twotankedproductions.com/equipmentsalesrental/equipmentsales.html

It works well and it comes in two sizes.