PDA

View Full Version : Something Fizzy

lottie
08-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I don't know whether this is specific to me, or whether there's a medical reason (no comments about me seeing a shrink please) or another reason.

But, when i'm driving home after my dive, I always get this taste of drinking something fizzy (e.g. cola, sprite etc) when I get home.

Does anyone else have this type of 'craving'?

Daddy-h2O
08-10-2007, 01:27 AM
I sometimes have a craving for a peanut butter, bacon and chutney sandwhich on rye...

Sorry, stole and mutalated a Red Dwarf line...I couldn't stop myself

But I know what you mean, but it is diffrent for every dive. And my salt water dives nothing sounded good...

acelockco
08-10-2007, 02:02 AM
Diving really can dehydrate you, so being thirsty after a dive is normal and you should drink. I would say if you can, stay away from the soda (cola, sprite, etc.) and stick with some cool water. If you really can't deal with the water, apple juice(no sugar added) is a good second, and much better than other juices and such. There are mixed feelings about sports drinks, but I can't stand the taste anyway.

Remember, drink before your dive and after your dive. Everyone pees in the water (well not me, I dive in a dry suit and don't have a pee valve.....yet), so don't worry about that.

Daddy-h2O
08-10-2007, 02:06 AM
That's why I don't swim directly behind anyone...

acelockco
08-10-2007, 02:24 AM
That's why I don't swim directly behind anyone...

LOL, "boy look at the Halocline he is creating."

rubber chicken
08-10-2007, 04:20 AM
Everyone pees in the water (well not me, I dive in a dry suit and don't have a pee valve.....yet), so don't worry about that.

There are two types of drysuit divers, those who have... and liers!:D

acelockco
08-10-2007, 05:47 AM
HELL NO!

When I start getting into longer dives, I will have a pee valve. My dives are about 45 minutes or so, I can hold it that long. Plus I always go as right before I suit up.

Now, wetsuit that is a different story. I am honest, and I will pee all day in one.

Zero
08-10-2007, 10:37 AM
HELL NO!

When I start getting into longer dives, I will have a pee valve. My dives are about 45 minutes or so, I can hold it that long. Plus I always go as right before I suit up.

Now, wetsuit that is a different story. I am honest, and I will pee all day in one.

Just go in the drysuit as well. Cleans up the toe jam good as a side benefit:eek: .
As for Lotties cravings i get them also but for Jack Daniels and Coke. Usual cure is head for the nearest pub:D Not just for after a dive but its all the time.

Matt

phrenicnerve
08-11-2007, 01:57 AM
yeah I crave an ice cold beer...

and a hot tub.

more bubbles! ...while I sway back and forth from being on a boat all day.

:cool:

Tigerbeach
08-11-2007, 02:04 AM
I think you may be off gassing through your tongue;

what happens if you stand on your head?

lottie
08-11-2007, 06:04 AM
I think you may be off gassing through your tongue;

what happens if you stand on your head?

I thought about off-gasing as well...hence why I raised the question (nitrogen mixed with carbon dioxide can't be good?)

If I stand on my head? erm....I can see that my floor needs cleaning as I have a few dead bugs lying around :D

amtrosie
08-11-2007, 03:53 PM
and a hot tub.

:

You may want to stay away from the hot tub, bath. Studies have shown that hot tubs really increase your susceptibility to DCS. It has do with the heat allowing the nitrogen to come out of solution from your tissues, and into your blood stream much quicker.

lottie
08-11-2007, 04:11 PM
You may want to stay away from the hot tub, bath. Studies have shown that hot tubs really increase your susceptibility to DCS. It has do with the heat allowing the nitrogen to come out of solution from your tissues, and into your blood stream much quicker.

Well you learn something new everyday - I didn't know that....i'll have to stay away from the sulphur springs and the mineral falls if i've been diving then!

phrenicnerve
08-14-2007, 01:26 AM
I know! ...crazy that some dive boats have a hot tub waiting. At any rate after a long day diving it is difficult to at least not get in a hot bath or extra long shower. I do know about the increased chance of DCS. Usually by the time the boat has gotten back to harbor, I have found my car, and driven back home, 2-3 hours have already passed. :) Too bad though, I thought hot tubs on a dive boat sounded cool. :D

Is there info on what the circumstances are? i.e. between dives, immediately after dives, for up to 24 hours after a dive, etc?

acelockco
08-14-2007, 02:18 AM

Actually from what I have read, there have been no studies and there is no proof. The fact is that SOME doctors BELIEVE that going in a hot tub after a dive can increase the risk of DCS.

I think the bottom line with the hot tub is to use your head. Example is a recent trip I took to California, the dive boat (the Sceptre) has a hot tub on the boat. After diving a shallow dive of 40 feet or so in cold water of about 50 degrees in my wetsuit, it was a pleasure to get into the warm water of the hot tub. Now their hot tub was not nearly as hot as hot tubs usually are. I was no where near my no deco limits, and I was shivvering cold on the deck. I took 3-5 minutes in the hot tub after every dive to warm back up. I did not stay in long enough to sweat!

I know there is no way that is or was going to hurt me. Now as far as some other divers, waiting until the end of their last dive, turned the heat UP on the hot tub and got in with many beers for the entire 2 hour ride back to the dock. Now I can see how that could be bad.

So bottom line, use your head, and you should be fine.

hbh2oguard
08-14-2007, 06:24 AM
sounds like fun a hot tub with a whole bunch of other guys, no thanks unless it's the rare occasion to have an attractive female near my age diving:)

phrenicnerve
08-14-2007, 08:54 AM
a tub full of dudes. :eek: Unfortunately public hot tubs can be seriously contaminated too. This is why I would rather wait to get home. :D

lottie
08-14-2007, 01:05 PM
I've just been reading my AOW book (picked it up yesterday - got it booked up for next week :D)

Anyway, under the chapter for the Deep Dive it says, and I quote:
"Hot showers and baths after a dive cause skin capillaries to dilate, drawing blood away from other areas. These areas will eliminate nitrogen more slowly, while the skin experiences higher-than-normal circulation"

BamaCaveDiver
08-14-2007, 02:03 PM
There have been quite a few studies done on the vasodialation effects of hot water on the human body following a dive. None have been able to set safe guidelines (how long do I wait after being at x depth for y minutes) but most reccomend that you wait at least one half life for your slowest tissue groups. I have known some really good divers that got bent simply by taking a short hot shower after a 60-90 minute cave dive (72 degree water) during the winter time down in FL (they went straight from the spring to the shower.) It is one of those things where it may not bother you on one dive, and then drop you like a sack of rock on the next.